Your first memories you can tie to historical events

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Your first memories you can tie to historical events
I'm curious, what can you remember from when you were a child?

In my case it was the six days war in '67. My parents were on a cruise with an Israeli ship called Moleded (remember this name to the day). They got out just before the war started. I don't remember being worried or anything, but I still tied the memories to the historical event.

Another one, I learnt the meaning of death about the same time. The news on the radio went on about casualty numbers on the radio. I was curious, so I asked what dead meant without getting a response. So it stuck to my memory. Must have been reports from Vietnam as I gather now.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2018, 03:28 PM
RE: Your first memories you can tie to historical events
I (barely) remember that I wanted A. Kwaśniewski to win in Poland 1995 presidential elections. I have no idea why I wanted him to win though.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-02-2018, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2018 03:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I can remember when mom had me on my birthday. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-02-2018, 04:12 PM
The moon landing.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
27-02-2018, 04:20 PM
I remember getting up with dad at 5AM to watch some of Alis most famous fights in the early 70s.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
27-02-2018, 04:39 PM
I can't remember which came first that year, and quite frankly, a bit lazy to look it up right now. But they're both from 1991. My morning cartoons being interrupted due to the Oklahoma City bombing when I was home sick from school. To this day I can still remember this woman in black being carried out on a chair, blood going down her leg. The other is that dad and I watched a lot of science fiction together when I was young, and we were watching the pilot episode of Seaquest (or was it Seaquest DSV) and Bill Clinton interrupted it in a long speech about how he was sending troops to Haiti.

Also a bonus from 1991 that my mother seems to remember laughing at and told me recently. I was playing with some toy cars in the leftover flour while she was baking rolls and blew it everywhere. When she scolded me, I apparently replied, "but mommy, it's a sandstorm!" because we'd been hearing about the Gulf War on television.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2018, 05:13 PM
The assassination of JFK, from the news announcements through the funeral.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
27-02-2018, 05:24 PM
I faintly remember seeing Nixon on t.v.
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Congo's post
27-02-2018, 05:27 PM
For me, it was the Kennedy/Nixon debate.
27-02-2018, 06:20 PM
The first time I ever saw my father cry. November 22, 1963. I was four and a half.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post