Your first memories you can tie to historical events

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2018, 06:29 PM
RE: Your first memories you can tie to historical events
As julep said, the moon landing.

One of my brother’s birthday is on July 15th, the day of liftoff and the other’s birthday is on July 20th, the landing so it’s easy to remember. I was in elementary school and the teacher turned on the TV so we could watch during class.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
27-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Sputnik 1. I thought it was wonderful since the news people all said it was the beginning of a "space race". I wanted to know who was in the race and where the finish line was going to be. {I got some "you are a weird kid" looks, but no explanation.}

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
27-02-2018, 10:22 PM
I was John-John's age. I don't remember that, but do remember the early Viet Nam casualty reports and much sadness in the house.
27-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Seeing my mother ironing in front of the TV day after day and sensing she was upset and/or angry.

I understood later that she was watching the Army-McCarthy hearings.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-02-2018, 11:11 PM
I watched most of the the Project Mercury launches on TV, but can't really recall them. The first historical event I remember clearly is the assassination of JFK in November '63. (I remember being miffed because a favourite after-school TV show had been preempted for the funeral.)

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
28-02-2018, 12:00 AM
Around seven years old, I remember being nored to tears by these interminable hearings conducted by superannuated assholes pre-empting my after-school "Speed Racer" cartoons. Turns out, I learnt well afterwards, that they were Congressional hearings about Watergate.

And of course, living through the Revolution in Iran in 78. Those are seared into my mind.

Others? Hearing the BBC reportage on King Faisal's assassination in 75, or was it 76? The Camp David Accords signed in 78, all over the news. And I remember, at five years old, my older sis and I sitting in the car while Mom shopped, hearing "Stairway to Heaven" on the radio.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Hearing about the latest victim of the Green River Killer on the news and in conversation and wondering why we never came across him while going on picnics at the Green River.

Washing my hands with soap made from Mt Saint Helens ashes.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
28-02-2018, 12:16 AM
My first memory tied to a historical event would be watching the bombing of Iraq in the first gulf war.

My very first memory would be leaving my grandparent's apartment in Switzerland (maybe for the last time before we moved to Canada?) when I was 3, it's a memory about 5 seconds long, usually triggered by a smell similar to the one in the stairwell out of their apartment that day, a unique combination of tobacco smoke & some cleaning agent or air freshener.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
28-02-2018, 12:20 AM
(28-02-2018 12:02 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Washing my hands with soap made from Mt Saint Helens ashes.

Yeah, forgot about that. My Baptist parents were so frustrated with my sister's adolescent drug habit that they sent her to a Catholic boarding-school in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in early 1980 to clean her up and square her away. She came home in August of that year with a Ziploc baggie of MSH ashes. I've never before or since felt powder that fine.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-02-2018, 01:51 AM
[Image: lj9xbwX.jpg]

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem. - Camus