Your first memories you can tie to historical events

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2018, 01:56 AM
RE: Your first memories you can tie to historical events
(27-02-2018 03:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I can remember when mom had me on my birthday. Big Grin

There was a bright light, then someone hit me.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
28-02-2018, 02:35 AM
I can remember when the Queen (there is only one) came out to Zim for the CHOGM (Commonwealth Heads Of Government Meeting) in the 90s. We went on a school tour of a dairy a few days before and there was a massive pat of butter there that they said was for the meeting - at the time dairy produce was short in Zim so we couldn't get butter. I remember feeling a bit hacked off that these government bigwigs got butter. We went to stand out by State House at some point and waved little Zim and British flags.

The memory that's indelibly marked for me is 9/11. I was watching TV when it was suddenly interrupted to show live coverage. I watched it without really comprehending what it meant until later. When the second plane hit... eish. The reporter was standing quite far and she had to run when the towers fell. It was hectic.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
28-02-2018, 03:46 AM
Immediate thought was, like Julep, the moon landing. That was the first "quick, come and look at this" moment. I was five so I didn't pay much attention to the TV and wasn't sure of the significance but dad said it was significant so it must have been ... significant.

But then Chas's post made me think more harderly... adults' anger etc.

So that would have been the Aberfan spoil tip disaster.

As that happened when I was only 2.7 years old, I doubt it's the actual event I'm recalling but more likely the aftermath. Although I do have a 'moving house' memory from '66 so it's possible.

I still shiver to think about it. The sense of helplessness, like drowning.

Sadcryface

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-02-2018, 06:09 AM
I remember the "big blackout".
I remember myself and my mom going out on the front lawn to the hill on the side where the lights of the city could be seen and seeing only darkness.
I would have been 4.
She was alarmed of course because at that point nobody knew what had happened and that was right during the height of the cold war.
I guess I picked up on her genuine fear.
The neighbors also were outside and everybody was thinking the worst.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...t-blackout

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
28-02-2018, 06:16 AM
(28-02-2018 12:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Around seven years old, I remember being nored to tears by these interminable hearings conducted by superannuated assholes pre-empting my after-school "Speed Racer" cartoons. Turns out, I learnt well afterwards, that they were Congressional hearings about Watergate.

I remember being addicted to watching the Watergate hearings.
I must have been weird for a 10 year old.
A lot owed to my Mom being on the edge of her seat for the whole thing.
She was setting her watch by them and wouldn't miss a second.
I guess it rubbed off.

28-02-2018, 07:06 AM
I remember the Challenger explosion, although I'm not sure if I saw it live or not. I don't have any memory of watching it live in class.
28-02-2018, 07:09 AM
(28-02-2018 07:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I remember the Challenger explosion, although I'm not sure if I saw it live or not. I don't have any memory of watching it live in class.

Watched it live in a dorm room.
I ran out into the hall and went to other people rooms and told them to turn on the TV.

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
28-02-2018, 08:47 AM
(28-02-2018 07:09 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Watched it live in a dorm room.
I ran out into the hall and went to other people rooms and told them to turn on the TV.

That was 9/11 for me, apart from the telling people to turn on their TV part. As far as historical events go, while it wasn't my first, it was the one I remember the best.
02-03-2018, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 02:42 AM by Kaneda.)
  • I vaguely remember picking up on some of the fuss being made over the O.J. Simpson murder case, as well as one or two passionate arguments my parents were having on the subject around that time (though being three at the time, the substance obviously went completely over my head).
  • There was a lot of buzz around the debut of Windows 95, which was considered a big commercial milestone the year it debuted. As I recall it was a big deal for my family when we got our first home computer that supported this operating system.
  • I started hearing Bill Clinton’s name a lot around late 1998. I was kept in the dark as to what what the dude got himself into, but man did my Mom start hating him for some reason.

Yeah, I know, these pointers are mostly inconsequential crap. To be fair though, the 90’s on the whole seemed like such an innocent time to come up compared to where we were before and where we are now. I know that era wasn't all peaches and cream, looking back; there was plenty of bombing, genocide, race rioting, civil unrest, and institutional corruption for anyone to read about if they wanted to. But I don't get the sense that everyone was as unceasingly preoccupied with it as they are today.

This could all be conjecture, but I can’t help but feel like 9/11 changed a lot for me. Everything that's happened since then has come to feel so much more vivid and important than what came before. A today, well shit, events just keep moving along today and seem to be hitting closer and closer to home with each passing year. All the while the disasters, scandals, and flare-ups get more frequent, interconnected and consequential as time passes by.

I don’t know; maybe this malaise I'm feeling is just a normal part of getting old.

You know, living in hell is a lot more boring than I thought it would be.
[+] 5 users Like Kaneda's post
02-03-2018, 03:28 AM
Folks,

Cuban missile crisis, heard on a Kendy transistor radio outside the fish and chip shop.

D.