Your first memories you can tie to historical events

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2018, 03:28 AM
RE: Your first memories you can tie to historical events
Folks,

Cuban missile crisis, heard on a Kendy transistor radio outside the fish and chip shop.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2018, 04:49 PM
The Berlin Wall fell when I was 5 in 1989, that was pretty big. But it was at night when I was sleeping and my mom didn't want to wake me up for it because she didn't think that I would understand why this is such a big event and so important. I think she is right with that. Nowadays I understand of course. But she told me that she was watching it live on TV.

2+2=4
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
02-03-2018, 06:44 PM
9/11 after the 1st plane, when I was in 2nd grade Sad

I distinctly remember thinking it was a movie...there was no way real people, people like me, were in the middle of those explosions...

I also remember the radical changes in the aviation industry. As a military family we moved a lot and went on tons of trips, so flying slowly became more and more of a hassle.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
02-03-2018, 07:13 PM
I was 5 years old when I saw my grandmother crying in front of the black and white tv. Robert F. Kennedy had been shot dead.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
03-03-2018, 02:25 AM
I remember hearing that we were going to elect a new president in 1952. I thought it meant that President Truman had died.

Sapere aude
03-03-2018, 07:11 AM
As far as historical events I guess it would be Peggy Fleming skating in the 68 Olympics. I have memories of both the Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy assassinations from that same year too.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
03-03-2018, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2018 08:22 AM by Vera.)
The fall of communism. Was a little kiddie (but an old soul already. Albeit a non-existing one Rolleyes ) and was at my grandparents' when they announced that our communist president of years and years had been removed and replaced with someone else. My dad came in at that same moment and I vividly remember him saying something along the lines of "Same difference". Kinda made the whole big announcement seem... less big... But also more real. And made me think...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
03-03-2018, 01:21 PM
(28-02-2018 07:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I remember the Challenger explosion, although I'm not sure if I saw it live or not. I don't have any memory of watching it live in class.

Same here, accept I was watching it, though I can't remember what channel. At 11:40 in the morning, Miss Christa blew up!! Sadcryface

03-03-2018, 01:51 PM
(03-03-2018 07:11 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  As far as historical events I guess it would be Peggy Fleming skating in the 68 Olympics. I have memories of both the Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy assassinations from that same year too.

Funny you should mention Peggy Fleming, I just watched her Olympic skating program on youtube yesterday. Loved her. Robert Kennedy is probably the first historical event for me. We didn't have a tv for a long time so there was a lot of stuff going on in the world that I didn't hear about as a kid.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-03-2018, 01:08 PM
I remember the JFK assassination in 1963. I was 8 years old at the time. Of course, I remember lots of events in my life before that, but none that I can tie to historical events. As a child, I was mostly oblivious to everything outside my own little bubble (family, friends, school, church).
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post