Your first memories you can tie to historical events

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2018, 07:29 AM
RE: Your first memories you can tie to historical events
(07-03-2018 07:04 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 03:19 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  My earliest memory of any historical significance was the Magnitude 6.2 1984 Morgan Hill earthquake. I was 4 years old and, yes, living in Morgan Hill.

After that, I think the next newsworthy item I remember is the Challenger explosion.

.... also, most of you old fogies make me feel young. YAY!

I agree. Although I am surprised Chas doesn't remember when Thermopylae happened. Evil_monster

Gods you can't expect him to remember every piffling whippersnapper who has a famous last stand.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-03-2018, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 10:51 PM by kim.)
RE: Your first memories you can tie to historical events
My earliest "historically significant" memory was JFK's funeral on television - either as it happened or on the evening's specially televised newscast. Somehow, it seemed like it was in the afternoon. Consider Both my parents were home & we were all around the TV, watching - it was all very quiet.

Being 4 months younger than John Jr, who turned 3 that day, I thought it was strange they had him step to the curb and salute his father's casket. At the time, I distinctly recall thinking, "Maybe he thinks it's a fun parade but, the girl knows something's going on. " I understood it was because their father died but, I didn't know what that was.
I don't think it effected me emotionally in any way.

4 years later however, Dr King was murdered and then, Bobby. I found it odd that people seemed to constantly compare or link them (to JFK), when I felt no connection at all. Those 2 murders, Dr King & Bobby, cut me to my jaded, 7 year old bones. It kind of still does.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post