Your food-related quirks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 06:42 PM
RE: Your food-related quirks
(11-12-2016 05:59 PM)julep Wrote:  I hate hate hate all salad dressings, sour cream, yogurt, and mayonnaise (as well as mayonnaise all dressed up for prom, aka aioli). I will not eat anything that's been touched by the above, or use a knife that's been besmeared with the above--you can't wipe it off, dammit.

I like yogurt ok, and I can eat sour cream in baked products (some cheesecakes call for it), but I otherwise agree. It makes me gag just to look at mayonnaise.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
07-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Any time I'm at a restaurant that serves those hot buttery yeast rolls, I ask for A-1 sauce to dip them in. I have no idea how I started doing that, but it is freaking amazing. Try it!

I eat raw cookie dough and cake batter. That in itself isn't weird, but I am ultra paranoid about salmonella in all situations except raw cake batter. I double bag raw chicken at the store before putting in in the cart, and hate even touching the packaging. I wash my hands after cracking eggs, and sanitize any tiny egg or chicken juice that falls on the counter. I even sanitize the soap bottle I used to wash my hands because I might have gotten raw egg germs on the nozzle. Then, I eat the raw batter. It's as if somehow, the raw eggs are not longer pathogenic when combined with oil, sugar, and flour!
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post
05-02-2017, 05:18 AM
(11-12-2016 04:39 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  For some odd reason I get an urge to blow on ice cream as though it's hot. I always catch myself, though. No idea why that happens.

When you do that for hot things, what you're really doing is blowing warm breath which is cooler than your coffee or w/e. If you think about it, people will also blow on their cold hands - and again, it's just that their warm breath is hotter than their cold hands.

Perhaps you're doing a similar thing to the latter for ice-cream?
05-02-2017, 08:23 AM
No wire hangers!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
06-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Spaghetti sauce, not over pasta, but over baked slices of crook necked squash.

Great way to use squash. For when you finally get tired of pasta Works pretty good over broccoli also. Use lots of fresh mushrooms in the sauce.

Pitas. Cut into quarters, and cooked in a pan with a little olive oil, lightly salted. Goes good with a salad and two boiled eggs.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
06-04-2017, 03:23 PM
I certainly don't have any weirdness about foods I refuse to eat. Some people are so picky. I will try damn near anything once.

I don't think there's anything I eat that other people would find strange, with ONE possible exception, and it is hands down the BEST hangover cure you'll ever eat:

Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwiches

The best bread for it is Scali though Pumpernickel will suffice in a pinch. The trick is to apply a relatively thin layer of peanut butter and don't overload it with the bacon either. It's better in a hangover situation, I've found, to eat two light sandwiches with a glass of water and 10 minutes in between, than to try and cram down one massive one.
06-04-2017, 03:29 PM
(06-04-2017 03:23 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I certainly don't have any weirdness about foods I refuse to eat. Some people are so picky. I will try damn near anything once.

I don't think there's anything I eat that other people would find strange, with ONE possible exception, and it is hands down the BEST hangover cure you'll ever eat:

Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwiches

The best bread for it is Scali though Pumpernickel will suffice in a pinch. The trick is to apply a relatively thin layer of peanut butter and don't overload it with the bacon either. It's better in a hangover situation, I've found, to eat two light sandwiches with a glass of water and 10 minutes in between, than to try and cram down one massive one.

Sacrilege!
An offence to the bacon gods.

Good on a cold morning. Split a kaiser roll in half, smear halves thickly with peanut butter and broil both sides open faced in the oven until the peanut butter just begins to burn a little.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
06-04-2017, 04:13 PM
I don't think I have a food quirk about a specific food, but apparently I do have a quirk about how I eat.

I didn't know why it used to drive my dad & mom nuts, but I like to eat one thing on my plate at a time...if you gave me a plate of something like chicken, mashed potatoes & peas. I might eat the peas first 'til they're all gone, then the mashed potatoes 'til they're all gone then the chicken. The order doesn't matter, could be the chicken 1st, or the mashed potatoes, it's just that I finish one thing first and then move to the next.

The only clue I think I might have on why this annoyed my parents was years later from my then girlfriend (now my wife) when she would ask me something like "why haven't you touched the chicken? (or potatoes...whatever) is there something wrong with them?" And I would say something like "no it's fine I just haven't finished the [insert food here] yet."

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
11-04-2017, 01:39 PM
(06-04-2017 03:29 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Good on a cold morning. Split a kaiser roll in half, smear halves thickly with peanut butter and broil both sides open faced in the oven until the peanut butter just begins to burn a little.

That sounds like it would taste a lot better than it would smell.
11-04-2017, 01:44 PM
(06-04-2017 04:13 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I didn't know why it used to drive my dad & mom nuts, but I like to eat one thing on my plate at a time...if you gave me a plate of something like chicken, mashed potatoes & peas. I might eat the peas first 'til they're all gone, then the mashed potatoes 'til they're all gone then the chicken. The order doesn't matter, could be the chicken 1st, or the mashed potatoes, it's just that I finish one thing first and then move to the next.

My stepsister ate like that when she was a kid. My dad forced her not to, lol. He said it was barbaric and made her take no more than a few bites from one item before moving on to another. I don't know why it bothered him so much and I think he was being a bit nit-picky. But I also don't get why you wouldn't want to move around the plate. Personally I want at least one bite of each thing while it's all still hot.