Your god isn't named God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2016, 08:04 PM
RE: Your god isn't named God
(08-05-2016 03:28 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Consequently - spelling "G-d" is simply an attempt to legitimize your invisible avenger as the only "real" one.

Safe bet -- if you're using the spelling "G-d" -- your particular delusion is named "YHWH" - not "God"....

"God" is simply a generic term - and should only be capitalized at the beginning of a sentence..

Just out of curiosity, did you think that I thought that "God" was my god's name?

I will admit to being a tad very raw and reactive right now, but it just seems that this thread was pointed directly at me because I'm clearly the only person who uses this spelling convention on this forum. It feels like you're calling me out, and I can't figure out why you'd do that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
08-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Explain why you spell "god" - "G-d".............

We'll work it out from there...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-05-2016, 08:10 PM
(08-05-2016 08:04 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 03:28 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Consequently - spelling "G-d" is simply an attempt to legitimize your invisible avenger as the only "real" one.

Safe bet -- if you're using the spelling "G-d" -- your particular delusion is named "YHWH" - not "God"....

"God" is simply a generic term - and should only be capitalized at the beginning of a sentence..

Just out of curiosity, did you think that I thought that "God" was my god's name?

I will admit to being a tad very raw and reactive right now, but it just seems that this thread was pointed directly at me because I'm clearly the only person who uses this spelling convention on this forum. It feels like you're calling me out, and I can't figure out why you'd do that.

Don't worry . You are a very respected member. You are a great asset in our war against Christian trolls fundamentalists. Your contributions are greatly valued.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 3 users Like Leo's post
08-05-2016, 08:19 PM
(08-05-2016 08:10 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Explain why you spell "god" - "G-d".............

I do it because of cultural reasons. There is no religious reason for it. It's just cultural.

God, god, GOD, MOTHERFUCKING GOD.

I'm not afraid of going to Jew-hell for spelling it out. There's no religious law against it. It's just a habit. The dash is so automatic for me that when I type God, I have to go back and erase the dash to insert the "o".

When I got here, I typed the o, but I had forgotten it a few times and I ultimately decided that because I have so many religious discussions here, it would be more trouble than it was worth to have to backspace over my dashes. I explained the dash thing in a few posts, and just decided that this is how I like writing it, and that's it.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
08-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Why do Americans spell Colour as Color? Pretty much same thing

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
08-05-2016, 08:38 PM
(08-05-2016 08:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 08:10 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Explain why you spell "god" - "G-d".............

I do it because of cultural reasons. There is no religious reason for it. It's just cultural.

God, god, GOD, MOTHERFUCKING GOD.

I'm not afraid of going to Jew-hell for spelling it out. There's no religious law against it. It's just a habit. The dash is so automatic for me that when I type God, I have to go back and erase the dash to insert the "o".

When I got here, I typed the o, but I had forgotten it a few times and I ultimately decided that because I have so many religious discussions here, it would be more trouble than it was worth to have to backspace over my dashes. I explained the dash thing in a few posts, and just decided that this is how I like writing it, and that's it.

That's not a very exciting reason. I was hoping you thought demons would appear and swallow your soul.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
08-05-2016, 08:42 PM
I have a sister-in-law who eats hilal meat for exactly the same reason. It's the culture she grew up with. She has no illusions that the prayers muttered over it are doing her any good. It obviously didn't help the animal. Even less useful when she washes it down with wine.

Don't sweat it Aliza. Your a theist on an atheist forum. It's one of your idiosyncrasies. Somebody was bound to make a point of it and not everybody plays well with others.

If it makes you feel any better, the phrase "motherfucking god" has cause my imagination to conjur up some very peculiar mental images.

Biker, you know how we get testy when theists wander in and start making dumb assumptions about atheists, our motivations and our beliefs? Don't you just wish one of those fuckers would ask us for a change rather than making some declaration of ignorance?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
08-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Aliza is cool. No need target her.

I hold the ancient control mechanism in contempt. Not Aliza.

Aliza, imagine how long I'd last at a religious site. You have a rep approaching 50 here. It is an atheist site.

What i said earlier regarding Israel upset you. Even though I know the history backwards. I read Josephus. I know how the Hebrews suffered from the earliest time of xian power in Rome to WWII and beyond.

That i felt it beneath you was a compliment.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
08-05-2016, 10:50 PM
I have a tendency to spell god as God a lot, like a character in any story and realizing proper nouns should be capitalized I do it without thinking but most of the time I'm talking about Yahweh. If I'm in a debate with a theist I have a tendency to use "Your God" a lot, since every person who believes has a personal God they identify with who agrees with them on moral issues as well as scientific, judicial, etc. So one person's Yahweh is another person's Allah or whatever, I've met many Christians who don't even know their God's name, it's pretty funny. To them it's just God or Jesus so to make it easier I just use "God" because they're going to get really confused anyway.

If I'm dealing with a polytheistic religion like Hinduism I'd go with Gods or use their names like Brahma did such and such thing but I don't debate a whole lot of Hindu's or Buddhists for that matter, even if I did it's easier to just use the names since Christians have their whole trinity thing going on it's easier to use God just like I would write Santa Claus, it's capitalized, still not real. If I'm talking about a generic god I will not capitalize but if I'm talking about a particular one I will capitalize. I'm not even sure how correct this is but I'll probably keep doing it, force of habit.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
09-05-2016, 12:35 AM
Joe Pesci ... he gets shit done.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post