Your god isn't named God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 05:25 AM
RE: Your god isn't named God
(08-05-2016 08:42 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  If it makes you feel any better, the phrase "motherfucking god" has cause my imagination to conjur up some very peculiar mental images.

That's pretty core dogma for Christians though given the story of the annunciation and virgin birth.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
09-05-2016, 05:51 AM
(08-05-2016 10:50 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I have a tendency to spell god as God a lot, like a character in any story and realizing proper nouns should be capitalized I do it without thinking but most of the time I'm talking about Yahweh. If I'm in a debate with a theist I have a tendency to use "Your God" a lot, since every person who believes has a personal God they identify with who agrees with them on moral issues as well as scientific, judicial, etc. So one person's Yahweh is another person's Allah or whatever, I've met many Christians who don't even know their God's name, it's pretty funny. To them it's just God or Jesus so to make it easier I just use "God" because they're going to get really confused anyway.

If I'm dealing with a polytheistic religion like Hinduism I'd go with Gods or use their names like Brahma did such and such thing but I don't debate a whole lot of Hindu's or Buddhists for that matter, even if I did it's easier to just use the names since Christians have their whole trinity thing going on it's easier to use God just like I would write Santa Claus, it's capitalized, still not real. If I'm talking about a generic god I will not capitalize but if I'm talking about a particular one I will capitalize. I'm not even sure how correct this is but I'll probably keep doing it, force of habit.

I default to typing god in lowercase, I generally do it because I will not show respect to any god concept by acknowledging it is transcendent in any way.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
09-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Can we cut to the real point of this thread.

What your birth parents name you doesn't make it your real name. That's super-bullshit.

Mr kal-el, superman, Clark Kent, or whatever can choose what lame name he wants to be called and it's the real deal. I don't care what no burnt old kryptonian certification slip may of has etched on it.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-05-2016, 08:01 AM
(09-05-2016 06:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Can we cut to the real point of this thread.

What your birth parents name you doesn't make it your real name. That's super-bullshit.

Mr kal-el, superman, Clark Kent, or whatever can choose what lame name he wants to be called and it's the real deal. I don't care what no burnt old kryptonian certification slip may of has etched on it.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

Rumor has it Superman has been overcompensating for years....

He now wants to be called Loretta......................

Shocking

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-05-2016, 09:41 AM
The captalisation of the word "god" is only a nonsensical affectation by Christians in an attempt to make real something which is purely fantastical.

It's just as pointless as if we were to write Mermaid, Unicorn, Fairy, or Leprechaun.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-05-2016, 10:07 AM
(09-05-2016 04:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 04:56 AM)Aliza Wrote:  No worries. Just don't spell out the name of B-b. That would be unwise.

Why? What's wrong with the name Bob?

[Image: awesome_photos07-e1319578518954.jpg]

Son of a bitch...

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-05-2016, 01:33 PM
So I'm not really playing devils advocate here so much as asking those with a better grasp of English than I; don't believers often use "God" as a name like we might use "Mom" as a name, and in such a case wouldn't it be appropriate to capitalize?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
09-05-2016, 01:45 PM
(09-05-2016 01:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So I'm not really playing devils advocate here so much as asking those with a better grasp of English than I; don't believers often use "God" as a name like we might use "Mom" as a name, and in such a case wouldn't it be appropriate to capitalize?

IF their god's name was "God" - then yes - capitalization would be proper.

Haven't run into one of those yet.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-05-2016, 01:52 PM
(09-05-2016 01:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So I'm not really playing devils advocate here so much as asking those with a better grasp of English than I; don't believers often use "God" as a name like we might use "Mom" as a name, and in such a case wouldn't it be appropriate to capitalize?

IF their god's name was "God" - then yes - capitalization would be proper.

But my moms name isn't "Mom", yet it's still appropriate to capitalize in the right context.

"I called my mom last Sunday."

"Hey Mom, don't forget to call next Sunday."

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-05-2016, 01:56 PM
(09-05-2016 01:52 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  IF their god's name was "God" - then yes - capitalization would be proper.

But my moms name isn't "Mom", yet it's still appropriate to capitalize in the right context.

"I called my mom last Sunday."

"Hey Mom, don't forget to call next Sunday."

Concede....

However...

If you call her M-m -- people will start looking at you oddly....................

heh

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post