Your god isn't named God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 02:25 PM
RE: Your god isn't named God
(09-05-2016 01:56 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:52 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  But my moms name isn't "Mom", yet it's still appropriate to capitalize in the right context.

"I called my mom last Sunday."

"Hey Mom, don't forget to call next Sunday."

Concede....

However...

If you call her M-m -- people will start looking at you oddly....................

heh

Not if everyone else in your circle does. If you explain it to outsiders and they hate what you do in spite of everything else, then they're just horrible people whose opinions should be disregarded as bigotry anyway. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Somebody should write a simple virus that replaces all vowels with random non-alphanumeric characters.

!t w@#ld gr$%tly ^mpr&v* m"st Y(-t+b{ c:mm?nts.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-05-2016, 03:43 PM
(09-05-2016 12:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 08:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Why do Americans spell Colour as Color? Pretty much same thing

While we're on this topic, it's 'violet'. All of you 'purple' heathens can shove it! Angry

While the two colors look similar, from the point of view of optics there are important differences. Violet is a spectral color – it occupies its own place at the end of the spectrum of light first identified by Newton in 1672, and it has its own wavelength (approximately 380–420 nm) – whereas purple is a combination of two spectral colors, red and blue. There is no such thing as the "wavelength of purple light"; it only exists as a combination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple#Purple_vs._violet

Tongue

Are you really going accept the "existence" of violet merely because Newton arbitrarily defined the colour scheme to match musical notes? Will you bend so mindlessly to age old authoritarianism?

From your own link:
Quote:In the additive color system, used to create colors on a computer screen or on a color television, violet is simulated by purple, by combining blue light at high intensity with a less intense red light on a black screen.

So in a much more correct sense, since we are communicating via computer screens it is violet that doesn't exist.

We'll let that pass though so long as you don't entertain the Unholy Abomination that is indigo.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-05-2016, 03:49 PM
(09-05-2016 03:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...so long as you don't entertain the Unholy Abomination that is indigo.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
09-05-2016, 03:59 PM
My take on the whole nonsense is simply that God is too important not to rate a proper noun. Since God doesn't have an actual name you have to capitalize his title, or whatever you want to call it, instead. At least if you care about such niceties.

By analogy, I don't believe that the Pope is anything more than some weird old guy in a dress with a really big hat but it's simply rude to refer to him as pope Palpatine the Last.

Personally, I switch between god and God indiscriminately depending on mood, context, whimsy and laziness.

---
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-05-2016, 04:07 PM
(09-05-2016 03:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 03:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...so long as you don't entertain the Unholy Abomination that is indigo.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Big Grin

That earned you a place in The Special Hell.

---
09-05-2016, 04:30 PM
(09-05-2016 03:59 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Personally, I switch between god and God indiscriminately depending on mood, context, whimsy and laziness.

This is what I do.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
10-05-2016, 01:03 AM
I capitalise all Gods. Christees love it (if they notice it at all) until they realise it's not just for their special one. Then they earnestly try to explain why I shouldn't capitalise the others Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-05-2016, 02:33 AM
(09-05-2016 01:56 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:52 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  But my moms name isn't "Mom", yet it's still appropriate to capitalize in the right context.

"I called my mom last Sunday."

"Hey Mom, don't forget to call next Sunday."

Concede....

However...

If you call her M-m -- people will start looking at you oddly....................

heh

Italians use mamma for mom. Should we look at them oddly because they use a different word than others?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
10-05-2016, 05:39 AM
(10-05-2016 02:33 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 01:56 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Concede....

However...

heh

Italians use mamma for mom. Should we look at them oddly because they use a different word than others?

Only if it includes a hyphen between two consonants.................

Laughat

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.