Your hometown pro's and con's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2017, 07:10 AM
RE: Your hometown pro's and con's
I grew up in a small suburb just north of Oklahoma City.

Pros: The people were friendly, it was cheap to live, housing was cheap, and we finally got a pro team.

Cons: Tornadoes, racism wrapped in the flag, drug running corridor, buckle of the Bible belt, nothing to really do, terrible schools, tornadoes a state government that constantly performed fellatio on oil and gas companies, did I mention tornadoes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like deerseed's post
29-09-2017, 07:28 AM
(29-09-2017 06:54 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 06:52 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  My home town burned down years ago. They saved the barn.

That's good news.... About the barn I mean.

Yeah, they meant to burn the house down, it was built in the late 1800s, didn't have running water.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Pros:
-High ratings for education, schools.
-Ocean within walking distance
-Liberal-leaning, not a lot of religious influence
-Major city w/in driving distance
-A lot of my family is here Smile
-Many Higher ed options

Cons:
-High COL and not so high wages (young adults are really struggling here)
-Traffic/Tourists
-Small businesses struggling
-Heroine, but I think that's everywhere nowadays

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
29-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Your hometown pro's and con's
I'm from Góra, formerly known as Gorau. Considering that it's got city rights circa 1300 A.D. there are few nice things to see here but there upsides ends. It's little, provincial shithole with no cultural insitutions. It's hard to get good beer there so lack of more refined things shouldn't be surprising though.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
29-09-2017, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2017 11:20 AM by Astreja.)
I've been living in Winnipeg, Canada for the last 40 years -- in fact, tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of when I moved here from Montreal.

Pros: Vibrant world-class art scene with symphony, ballet, theatre, jazz festival, comedy festival and a whole lot more. Reasonable cost of living. Summers never get insanely hot or humid. Reasonably close to lakes and good camping, and a couple of urban forests to explore. State-of-the-art microbiology lab that discovered a possible treatment for Ebola.

Cons: Attack-trained mosquitoes, frightful winter temperatures, a lot of gang-related crime, and seemingly never-ending road work.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
29-09-2017, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2017 10:55 AM by Dom.)
I am confused about whether this is about where we grew up or where we made our home.

Growing up in Munich - what's not to love. The city had everything, culture, food, drink, parks, festivals.... beautiful city. That said, I haven't lived there for decades and don't know how much fun it is these days. Visits - One likes peopley when young, but now it's just too peopley for me.

Where I made my home - what town? Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-09-2017, 10:21 AM
I grew up in and around San Francisco and saw many changes (good and bad). During the 70s, like many large cities, San Francisco went through their problems too, it was dirty, grungy but still kept it's Baghdad by the Bay persona. It was still pretty with it's faded paint. Let's face it, it's the reason I've seen so many (before classic was a thing) rock bands, mostly more than once.

There's been a drastic shift in The City in most recent years, it's pretty and has that fresh paint look, many areas that used to have that grungy look about them are cleaned up and the look of those areas are completely different today. My man calls it gentrification -- and with that The City, has lost a bit of what made it special and it's character.

During the 60s there was a huge middle class exodus to the suburban communities, with their little box homes and lawns, I guess for a time the demographic shifted, now it's shifted again but in my opinion the wrong way. The suburban surrounding communities are bloated beyond what they could handle for traffic, schools, transportation, entertainment.

We had a single story (smallish) house very close to The City, behind us was a vacant lot that was also about 5 feet higher than our backyard and house (we had a retaining wall that the city put in during the 50s, to keep the soil in place as it was then used as farm land).

We sold the house while the lot was still empty. Fast forward a decade they've built a huge four story apartment complex right by where the fence my man replaced (remember it was already higher ground than our house had). The backyard area has become a sunless hole in the ground.

Could I recommend either city? Probably not, unless you like that sort of thing....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-09-2017, 10:51 AM
(29-09-2017 06:48 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  So for you, do the pros outweigh the cons, or would you like to move ideally?

Oh I moved more than 600 miles away for work. I did love it though, despite it's downsides. But that may be more my connection to family and friends than the city on its own.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
29-09-2017, 11:11 AM
[Image: ISLAMORADA.jpg]

[Image: 636410640697383926-USP-News--Hurricane-Irma.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
29-09-2017, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2017 12:07 PM by Emma.)
Cons:
Yeh, about the same here FC, but not quite as bad. I'm in Cape Coral, Florida. I guess downsides are that it's relatively vulnerable to hurricanes and flooding when there's lots of rain.
That, and it's #2 on the top 30 US cities for lightning strikes.
Low wages in this area. The pay is not as good as in a larger city or up north for what I do. I probably am underpaid by about $20K
Not a lot of industry in the area.
Public transport is null... completely absent.
It's a pretty conservative city, though, so that sucks.
It gets so fuckin HOT here.
It's Florida, so half of the flora and fauna are non-native invasive species that are threatening the local wildlife.
Bufo-toads- one of the invasive species. If you dog finds them and licks them, it will kill them pretty quickly. They secrete and dangerous toxin on their skin when they are threatened. This area is getting overrun by them.

Pros:
Everything is relatively close. Traffic isn't horrible (gets kinda bad during tourist season, though).
Life is generally pretty easy here. People are mostly laid back. Work is usually very casual.
Cost of living is pretty low. Houses are affordable. Rent is currently too much, but it'll even out eventually. My mortgage is several hundred less than the average rent for a house my size.
There are so many medical practices around here, you can always find a doctor lol.
It's a large city, land-wise and population-wise. It's the 9th largest in Florida by population and 5th by land-area. In general, it feels like a small town in some ways and a large city in others.
It's pretty safe here. Not a large amount of crime. Pretty safe, even as a trans person. Though I do blend well enough that most people can't tell, so I'm really lucky there.
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post