Your hometown pro's and con's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2017, 12:30 PM
RE: Your hometown pro's and con's
I’m in a coastal tourist town in Florida, so we get flooded with people that come in for the season and various events. One con is that when the tourists are in, the traffic is really bad, but when we’re in a low season, the town empties out and it’s just us locals. Another pro is that I’m close to Disney and Universal, so I can pretty much pop over there for the day any time I want and be back home the same night. On the flip side, the con is that they raised the prices of season tickets at Disney so high that it’s not even worth it anymore. It's also miserably hot in the summer, so that's a con, but everyone has air conditioning, so that's a pro. One huge pro about living in any part of Florida that has a tourist driven economy is that the city is really well maintained. It’s kept clean, beautiful and expertly landscaped to attract all those tourists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
29-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Pro=No traffic like major cities.

Con=Leans red, although NC isn't as red as it used to be.

I live in on the coast just above the NC/SC boarder. I like the more rural setting and flatness of the landscape, but it is full of morons whom think taking us back 50 years socially will "Make America Great Again".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
29-09-2017, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure if you mean the town I grew up in or the place I live now.

Anyway, I grew up in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe. The Sierra Nevada is a mountain range between California and the state of Nevada. The cabin we lived in was in the woods, kinda near Donner Summit. ( Fine dinning anyone?? ) The nearest neighbor was a mile away so there was no town. The nearest town was probably Tahoe City.

We lived there until I was about 10 and then we moved......to another damned dinky town in the Sierras. I grew to hate small towns.

I love the city where I live now.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-09-2017, 01:18 PM
(29-09-2017 12:40 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  ...
Leans red

Hard as I try, I still struggle with this Americanese.

[Image: orakel-china.jpg]
[Image: udssr-hjo-100~768x432?cb=1481238519106]

(29-09-2017 12:40 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  ...
taking us back 50 years socially will "Make America Great Again".

Maybe it will ...

[Image: 1967.png]
[Image: 1101671027_400.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Just means it votes a bit more to the Right. "Red states" go Republican, Blue states go Democrat.

Just remember that on military maps the enemy is shown in red.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
29-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Pros: 2 miles form the DC line
Cons: 2 miles from the DC line

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Pro: I'm here
Con: Everything else

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-09-2017, 01:36 PM
(29-09-2017 01:21 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Just means it votes a bit more to the Right. "Red states" go Republican, Blue states go Democrat.

Just remember that on military maps the enemy is shown in red.

Depends whose side you're on.

Drinking Beverage

29-09-2017, 01:38 PM
(29-09-2017 01:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Pros: 2 miles form the DC line
Cons: 2 miles from the DC line

Awww, hey, I was just in your neck of the woods! Would have been cool to meet you. Oh wells, I missed out. Sad
30-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Ottawa - "The city that fun forgot." - Seriously google it, it's been our unofficial motto since for as long as I've been alive.

Temporary home to apparently most beautiful Prime Minister ever to grace the earth... Dodgy

Anyhoo... It's called to the city that fun forgot mainly because anyone in their 20's & 30's goes to Montreal or Toronto to have a good time. Ottawa's got a bit of a sleepy atmosphere at night. Ottawa's geographical area is actually bigger then Toronto even though our population is only 800,000. It always amuses me to see a "Welcome to Ottawa" sign in an area that looks either like a forest or farm land, and you drive at least 15 more minutes before you see anything that resembles a "city". And we have a huge farm practically in the centre of the city!

It's a great place to raise young kids though, lots of parks, museums, art galleries.
We have the canal, the world's longest skating rink in the world, when I was younger I used to skate from my apartment to downtown to shop or drink at the bars in the market and then skate home.

Being able to rent a canoe and paddle downtown with the kids is fun too.

Crime as a whole is dropping, but violent crimes (gang fighting) are increasing.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post