Your imaginary friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2016, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2016 10:44 PM by The Dark One.)
Your imaginary friend
I'm sure we all know of religious claims- not existence/creation type claims, but more recent, verifiable claims- that have been proven untrue. It seems the deeper you dig, the more religions lose their cohesion.
I'm going to share a recent example I came across, comment and/or share your own if you have any.
I read an article online awhile back, that made certain claims. I am not remotely religious, but these claims concerned a person who lived very recently, and who- religion aside, I had always considered, at least, a person who helped others and tried to make the world a better place. Why did I believe that? I don't know...media brainwashing, I guess.
The article concerned Mother Theresa of Calcutta. The article referenced a book as the basis for it's claims so I ordered the book online and read it. Wow. Far from a do-gooder, my take-away was that she was psychotic, or at least a lot of people thought so and documented things supporting that thought.

Here is the article, with the book reference. It IS fascinating reading, although I kept checking the cover to make sure it wasn't Stephen King after all...sure read like him.

Santa, the Easter Bunny, God, and now Mother Theresa. Soon all I'll have left is Mark Knopfler. *sigh* (And Banjo, of course)

Mother Teresa is a woman I've grown to dislike the more I read about her. She is no hero. A woman whose poisonous, pernicious and selfish actions belie her innocent and sweet looking exterior is certainly an intriguing and disturbing case.

Her ‘house of the dying’ in Calcutta looks, on the surface, to be a haven for the sick. But, unfortunately, through poor medical action—-the refusal of sterilising the needles used on each patient and outright refusal of taking a child with a simple complication to hospital (as noted by a medical volunteer), allowed inexcusable suffering. In Christopher Hitchen’s revealing book, ‘the missionary position’, in which he criticses Mother Teresa, there’s a horrid account of a young man writhing in pain, and Teresa simply telling him that suffering is good. In fact, this quote on suffering is highly disturbing

The suffering of the poor is something very beautiful and the world is being very much helped by the nobility of this example of misery and suffering.

She who tried to “help” those in poverty, only perpetuated the cycle of poverty by embracing poverty and suffering. It's an ironic move, and it's sickening to hear that this is something which “helps” and is “beautiful”. People’s misery is, according to her logic, something worth containing. It's essentially stating, despite the misery, pain and suffering endured by people, I think it should carry on.

Further, what disturbed me is her slyness. Mother Teresa ‘accepted money from the British publisher Robert Maxwell’ who, embezzled £450 million from his employee’s pension fund, all of whom came from poor and wealthier backgrounds. Despite Teresa getting a letter from a lawyer that it would be sensible and kind—-as the woman she surely is—-to give the money back, no money nor reply was returned. If this wasn't enough, Charles Keating who was charged with fraud, donated millions of dollars to Mother Teresa and ‘lent her his private jet’. She refused to return the money and ‘praised Keating repeatedly’.

Whether she was a hero of religion is highly debatable too, she wrote a couple of letters which show her surprising lack of faith:

Such deep longing for God -- and ... repulsed -- empty -- no faith -- no love -- no zeal. (Saving) souls holds no attraction -- Heaven means nothing -- pray for me please that I keep smiling at Him in spite of everything.

Jesus has a very special love for you. As for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great that I look and do not see, listen and do not hear.

To conclude, it's easy to argue that her intention was good at first, but when you add the shady relationships, it's hard to argue that she’s not the nice heroic woman you thought she was.

I highly recommend Christopher Hitchen’s, ‘the missionary position: Mother Teresa in theory and practice.’
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2016, 05:49 AM
RE: Your imaginary friend
I've said it before --- "Mother (fucker) Teresa" -- went into the most overpopulated country in the world - and campaigned against birth control --- the dried up old crone should have been beaten to death with the bloated rotting corpse of a baby who'd starved to death.....................

fuck her and the church she rode in on.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-08-2016, 06:22 AM
Didn't most of her money go to those rich fucks in the Vatican?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
19-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Don't get me going on Mother Teresa. Angry She was setting up a house for the poor in New York city back in the early 90. The house chosen was, as most places in New York, several stories high. It was an old building with no elevator system and for those who were handicapped and very sick this would be a huge problem. The city had an ordinance that a building used for the handicap had to have an elevator. Makes perfect sense. But Mother Teresa didn't want to put money into having a elevator installed and instead was planning on having her nuns carry people up and down the stairs. We're talking skinny little nuns from India.....all of about 4 feet 10 inches and 90 pounds!

So a battle ensued between the city and Mother Teresa. In the end Mother Fucker refused to install an elevator with the many millions of dollars being donated to her organization and finally abandoned the project. What an asshole.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-08-2016, 08:26 AM
She was huge on the Roman Catholic doctrine of mortification. Often mistaken for selflessness.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
19-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Damn it! I thought I had discovered something new and interesting, but once again, you guys are all a step or nine ahead of me. Rats. Sad

Be straight with me, guys...is there like an Atheist Newsletter or some sort of Atheist Bat Signal I'm not aware of that keeps you guys on top of everything so well?

I'm willing to pay membership dues or endure hazing and ridicule, if that is what it takes. Bowing
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
19-08-2016, 01:49 PM
(19-08-2016 01:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Damn it! I thought I had discovered something new and interesting, but once again, you guys are all a step or nine ahead of me. Rats. Sad

Be straight with me, guys...is there like an Atheist Newsletter or some sort of Atheist Bat Signal I'm not aware of that keeps you guys on top of everything so well?

I'm willing to pay membership dues or endure hazing and ridicule, if that is what it takes. Bowing

I actually learn a lot when a theist troll shows up here.
When our members engage and bombard them with facts peppered with citations and websites that counter their inane ramblings.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
19-08-2016, 01:50 PM
(19-08-2016 01:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Damn it! I thought I had discovered something new and interesting, but once again, you guys are all a step or nine ahead of me. Rats. Sad

I could tell but then... well, you know...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
19-08-2016, 02:16 PM

There is a magic decoder ring but you must be taught the double-secret handshake before you get yours.

The powers that be will let you know when you are worthy and have passed the (also secret) initiation. Angel

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-08-2016, 02:31 PM
(19-08-2016 02:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

There is a magic decoder ring but you [b]must be taught the double-secret handshake before you get yours.

The powers that be will let you know when you are worthy and have passed the (also secret) initiation. Angel

So, as usual, the message is "Patience, young grasshopper." I hate patience. I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't take so damned long, but it always does.
BREATHE...
In through the nose, out through the ears.
Ouch.

Ok, I'll find my happy place and wait. But I can't sit with my legs crossed under each other like that or the circulation to my calves completely shuts off and my toes go cyanotic. Nobody likes blue toes. I'm just saying'.

Thanks again, Anj. Seems like I'm always saying that....Big Grin