Your kids and Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Your kids and Islam
This is a purely theoretical dilemma, I don't have any children and plan to keep it that way. We talk about teaching kids how to think, not what to think, giving them all the information and letting them decide. But what if your child decided to convert to Islam?

Would you compromise your principles and put your foot down or let them make their own choice, knowing that there's (almost) no return once they 'submit'?

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: Your kids and Islam
(24-06-2014 06:24 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  Would you compromise your principles and put your foot down or let them make their own choice, knowing that there's (almost) no return once they 'submit'?

Hm? Huh What's stopping them from returning? I've heard of countries that are pretty much theocracies not letting people, but I kind of got the impression the majority of us don't live in those places.
24-06-2014, 06:47 PM
In the Qur'an, the penalty for apostacy is death, of course. I don't know how muslim communities in the West deal with apostates, presumably not often by killing them but I imagine they take the matter pretty seriously.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
24-06-2014, 07:08 PM
(24-06-2014 06:24 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  This is a purely theoretical dilemma, I don't have any children and plan to keep it that way. We talk about teaching kids how to think, not what to think, giving them all the information and letting them decide. But what if your child decided to convert to Islam?

Would you compromise your principles and put your foot down or let them make their own choice, knowing that there's (almost) no return once they 'submit'?

I would tell them that it is their choice and that I still love them just as much.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
24-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I agree with WindyCityJazz. If I ever become a parent I hope I can become accepting to whatever religion my son or daughter might choose. There is no doubt in my mind I'd be ecstatic if they realized there's no god, however if they chose to disagree with me, I'd strive to react the way I'd have wanted my parents to react when I told them I didn't share their sentiments. That reaction would consist of compassion, understanding, and happiness at their independence; how they're branching out and exploring the world for themselves, wherever it may take them. The reaction I'd avoid would be the ones my parents unfortunately chose, which was admonishment, proselytizing, and shame. I could empathize with my child's situation and think to how I felt when I didn't share my parents views, and how I really hoped they would still love me the same and be proud that I was capable to think for myself which didn't necessarily mean I had to share their worldview. I hope if that day comes, I can at least provide my child with the comfort that I was denied of.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
25-06-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't think I could do that. Noble as the principle may be, I don't think I could stand by it if I saw my offspring being duped into dedicating their life to subservience to a barbaric fiction.

I couldn't see myself dis-owning them or even threatening to, but I would definitely come down off the make-your-own-decision fence and tell them what I really thought.

Probably a good job I'm avoiding parenthood.

[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
25-06-2014, 05:47 PM
(25-06-2014 05:25 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I don't think I could do that. Noble as the principle may be, I don't think I could stand by it if I saw my offspring being duped into dedicating their life to subservience to a barbaric fiction.

I couldn't see myself dis-owning them or even threatening to, but I would definitely come down off the make-your-own-decision fence and tell them what I really thought.

You can tell them how you feel while still being loving and accepting.

Tell them your concerns and your reasons behind them, but dont try to force them to do anything. Hopefully they will find their way on their own.

On a side note I'd be just as concerned if they became christian or islam.
25-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Teaching them how to think also incurs teaching them why everyone is wrong.

Even if it did happen I would not allow it. Islam is the most radically violent, ignorant, hateful, bigotric, contradicting, self absorbed, self centered, selfish, retarded religion on the face of the planet. More so then Scientology and Christianity combined who just made a baby with Mormon.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
25-06-2014, 06:05 PM
(25-06-2014 06:01 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Teaching them how to think also incurs teaching them why everyone is wrong.

Even if it did happen I would not allow it. Islam is the most radically violent, ignorant, hateful, bigotric, contradicting, self absorbed, self centered, selfish, retarded religion on the face of the planet. More so then Scientology and Christianity combined who just made a baby with Mormon.

I disagree with that last part. Scientology is a frightening religion. You should read up on it sometime. Camps where they send people to be beaten and tortured, etc. I should have Near come here and do like a lesson thread. He's read so much on them.

Christianity is just as barbaric and scary as Islam. The only difference is it has been tempered by society and its "western" values and forced to be tamer. I have no doubt in my mind that they (christanity) would start moving back the other direction if it was allowed to.
26-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Re: RE: Your kids and Islam
(25-06-2014 05:25 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I don't think I could do that. Noble as the principle may be, I don't think I could stand by it if I saw my offspring being duped into dedicating their life to subservience to a barbaric fiction.

I agree, my kids have a good sense of freedom and I support wherever their inquiring little minds take them..apart from 'that'.

So far, one of them dismisses the idea of god the same as I. The other has not decided what she thinks about god as far as I can tell, but she does have a belief implanted in her head. That's where I have an issue, she didn't just start to think about gods - SOMEONE has to have put it in her head and I wouldn't be doing my duty as a parent if I left it alone.

We all have an idea how we bring our kids up and that's mine, they can tell me they want to do anything but religion and I would be happy for them. I know where my daughter has got this religion 'implant' from and I am going to fight it. For now, it's a general mockery of god/bible with my son when she is around and hopefully that will be enough for her to see sense.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TubbyTubby's post