Your life... flashing before your eyes.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Your life... flashing before your eyes.
In certain scenarios, normally ones that involve the potential for imminent death, people have said that their whole life "flashes before their eyes"

I was pondering this at work and if this happened to you, on reflection would there be anything in particular that would stand out, that you wouldnt mind sharing???
It can be as vague or as descriptive as you like, happy, sad, beautiful, paradigm changing.... anything.

Ill start with mine...

New family kitten who used to stay in my bedroom whilst the dogs got used to him.... who used to push his paw underneath the door and cry when I used to leave him.

The scene of Snowdonia in wales where I first felt and appreciated the beauty of what I was seeing for the first time in my life.

The look on my brothers face when a paramedic told him our mum had passed away.

lying in bed with an ex girlfriend, wrapped in each others arms with the sunlight coming through the window so bright and hot on our bodies.

Sitting on the step of one of my brothers old houses, watching a crow and wishing I could be it rather than deal with my problems.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like bemore's post
14-11-2012, 07:57 AM
RE: Your life... flashing before your eyes.
I most certainly didn't see such a thing before I "knew" I was going to die. I only remember muttering, "Fuck." and wondering how much I'd miss... and suddenly an oddly accepting feeling of, "So be it."

But I'm still alive. w00t! Life is good.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
16-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Yeah, the only time in my life when I was about to die was when I was less than a year old. I was on the Norwegian Dawn going through a hurricane a few years back on the way back to port in New York. I really wasn't scared at all. I know that some failure could happen any time and we could all maybe die, but I didn't care. I just hope that when I die it is quick enough that I don't have time to even say "Oh fuck!" first. Or if it is long and drawn out that it be a plane crash and at least I get the thrill ride of a lifetime on the way down. Short answer is no, my life has never flashed before my eyes. I also have nothing to share as far as things to remember.
16-11-2012, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2012 04:49 PM by Leela.)
Didn't have my life flashing before my eyes, when I nearly died a few times.

*removing little novel*
I just started to flash my life and realized that I instantly remember too much stuff to post it all here.

But a few things that totally stand out:

- My first visit at the opera when I was 12 or so. First row seats, I could see the orchestra positioned below the stage!

- Catching frogs in an old bowl. Brought them home to keep them, my mom told me to bring them back to where I found them.

- The day I got my drivers license after failing the practical test 2 times before and not giving a fuck for the third one. Was shaking all over.

- Sex with a mountain of man who was a virgin at 32 years old. After he behaved really bad at the place I was living back then, I told him that I am a lesbian and this can't become a relationship. Didn't want him to become my boyfriend in the first place.

- My first winter in Romania > SOOO FUCKING COLD that the second I stepped out the house, my legs burnt from the cold and breathing hurt.

- Moving to my place in Ireland. Wonderful landlord, great people, nice little flat, annoying noisy asshole neighbour, police called "garda" there.

- Starting over in Romania < still in progress Big Grin >

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
16-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I was once in a small propeller airplane trying to land and getting caught in some major disturbances. It had room for 20 passengers or so, there were some 10 of us. That little plane went up and down and side to side uncontrollably, it made horrible creaking noises and eventually just went down and down and down before it went of to the side again. While it was going down I was pretty sure I was going to die. My stomach felt like t was in my throat from the speed downward. No one in that plane said a word. All you could hear was the creaking.

Nothing flashed in front of my eyes. I thought about my husband and how he would eat nothing but junk without me cooking, and that my dog would miss me. Then I thought about how hubby would access the business funds and realized he couldn't. (He was not part of my business). I was actually not scared at all. I was worried about what hubby would do instead.

I always thought it was strange that I wasn't scared. Maybe someone forgot to build in my fear button.

Hubby (retired air force) later told me that you only worry about crashing if the nose starts pointing straight down. Who knew. Certainly not me or the other passengers.

Thinking about what would flash in front of my eyes if such a thing existed produces a couple of novels worth in only a minute. I have had a heck of a life, very varied and eventful.

The earliest memories are from when I was two or three and crawled in bed with mom every morning after she sent dad off to work. We slept together all cuddled up for an hour or so. It was so cozy and safe, I remember exactly how I felt.

I remember lying on my back in the tall grass when I was around five or so, watching the clouds and chewing on the soft part of the grasses.

Lots of things in my late teens and early twenties, the hippie days. All kinds of faces flashing by...

All the places I've lived, the places I visited, the businesses I've run, the dogs and other pets in my life, it's an endless succession of things. Despite, or maybe because of all the ups and downs, it's been a great life so far. Definitely not boring.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post