Your most cherished memory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2014, 04:37 AM
Your most cherished memory?
What is your most cherished memory that you can recall?

I was somewhere between Kindergarten and second grade. I had a cat ( my very first cat ) named midnight striker. Midnight was the name of my neighbors cat and it was just a really cool name. Striker just sounded awesome. I was woken up in night time on a night without school the next day I believe it was either a weekend or possibly summer time. I cannot possibly recall the time of year. It was not winter I knew that well. The cat had awoken me with its cries. I thought she just tired so I got fed up with it and got out of bed. Thought she was tired and sleepy or something so I decided maybe she just needed a bed to sleep in to rest.

I took out the Dresser drawer in the bottom left side and made a bed from some clothes of mine and made sure it was really soft and picked her up and put her in and laid her down to rest. I stayed for a while and petted her to get her to calm down and take her nap. Then POP out comes this fleshy sack! Almost right away I already knew (even though I had never previous experience with this or knew child birth) what this was after she had started attending to it in eating of the sack to reveal what would be a little baby kitten!

Jumping for joy I did as my cat was having KITTENS! I raced off to my parents room to shout midnight striker was having KITTENS! They sleepily said ok cool just help her deliver them....WTF RIGHT?! A child that young had no idea what was really happening or how to help. They wouldn't even get out of bed to go see. So I saw her give birth to many of them. I do not remember the number they would be. I think it may had been 8.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Shadow Fox's post
17-05-2014, 05:19 AM
RE: Your most cherished memory?
This is tricky one for me as I'm a 'present hedonist' but I like the notion of having a thread for this so I'll try my best.

I have many memories and none.

I don't take photographs but sometimes memories are 'stored' in the poems I write.

So I cannot point to a single cherished memory because I can only recall those past-moments when there is a present-moment trigger.

The trigger could be a sound or an image but more often than not, it is a smell ...

... then I am whooshed back to Paris (smells of fresh bread and cheap wine and garlic) or to a soft feminine encounter under clean silk sheets or to a chill October English evening huddled over a Benson & Hedges.

Too many to remember and none to regret.

Unsure

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
17-05-2014, 05:33 AM
(17-05-2014 05:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This is tricky one for me as I'm a 'present hedonist' but I like the notion of having a thread for this so I'll try my best.

I have many memories and none.

I don't take photographs but sometimes memories are 'stored' in the poems I write.

So I cannot point to a single cherished memory because I can only recall those past-moments when there is a present-moment trigger.

The trigger could be a sound or an image but more often than not, it is a smell ...

... then I am whooshed back to Paris (smells of fresh bread and cheap wine and garlic) or to a soft feminine encounter under clean silk sheets or to a chill October English evening huddled over a Benson & Hedges.

Too many to remember and none to regret.

Unsure

Why does your life always have to sound like a movie?

I'm afraid my cherished memories are too few and too unimportant for me to remember them right now.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
17-05-2014, 06:04 AM
My life reads like a movie too..... a bad 'B' biker movie.

I need to give this some more thought, I've got some good memories, but always surrounded by crazy shit.

I'll need to dig back to when I was growing up in Germany, I vaguely remember some good times then. I'll give it some thought on my ride today. Smile

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
17-05-2014, 07:02 AM
I guess I would answer this a bit differently. There are parts of my life that could easily be made into a tear-jerking Lifetime movie but there was one place and two people that always felt like home to me...the only place I ever really felt safe, loved, and happy. There are a lot of memories there. This picture kind of sums it up for me. My paternal grandfather and I driving the tractor on the family farm. Any time spent with grandma and grandpa, especially on the farm, are good memories.

[img][Image: tractor.jpg][/img]

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post
17-05-2014, 08:23 AM
There was a Sunday afternoon when I was young, maybe 8 or 9, when there were several uncles, aunts, and cousins visiting us. Our extended family was spread across North America so this was unusual. I don't recall why there was this convergence; I don't recall any big plan or celebration - it was just a summer Sunday.

We were in the back yard, the adults chatting and drinking, the family news, stories, anecdotes, and jokes going back and forth. My paternal grandfather had been noted for his quips, and the uncles were trying to remember them all and count them.

I remember sitting there feeling a glowing aura of love and contentment, and a sorrow as the afternoon ended and the gathering broke up.

Years later, I knew that I had experienced that as a child, that they didn't all like each other, there were jealousies and resentments. But that doesn't diminish the memory at all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Chas's post
17-05-2014, 08:56 AM
My husband went through 4 successive operations, all of them life threatening and treating life threatening conditions. After 6 weeks in the hospital and then 3 months of home care by me, starting with him in guarded condition at home, he was back to his old self.

That day, when I saw him walking down to his car, get in it and drive off to go shopping, that was definitely the best feeling in my long, illustrious life. He had that bounce in his step, he had total autonomy and freedom again. There is nothing like it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 11 users Like Dom's post
17-05-2014, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2014 10:37 AM by Full Circle.)
The woman who would later become my wife and I are out on a boat on a sunny, calm day. After we finish our dive we try to pull up anchor but the anchor is stuck in thirty feet of water.

Without missing a beat she dons her mask and fins then jumps in and swims down. Seconds pass, then a minute and this feeling of panic and loss overwhelm me! I don't want to live without this woman! Just then she breaks the surface smiling, says the anchor is free and in that moment I know I am totally in love. Heart

That was twenty-seven years ago. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 14 users Like Full Circle's post
18-05-2014, 05:50 AM
I got it !

My first Daytona Bike Week in the mid 70s.... I remember riding up there with an older guy who owned a bike shop, the anticipation was enormous on the way there.

Once we pulled into town, I immediately felt like I belonged there, even tho the place was wall to wall clubers and harcore bikers. I felt scared and excited all at the same time, but the sounds of the non stop Harleys, music and hard plain talk, made me feel comfortable in my surroundings.

We camped for the week, Oh the glory of hanging out at the camp fires and drinking till we passed out where we sat, then waking up hung over in the dew starting the fires up again with the coffee and booze flowing yet again.

We'd clean the bikes, talk shit and head into town for some grub, after which we would head to the shows and various bars in the area.

It was heaven, the beautiful bikes, women, fellow bikers and booze all seemed so perfect back then and I thought about how I could just do this the rest of my life.

Years went by and every year I would either quit a job or take the time off to go for a week during Bike Week until the early 80s, when things got less exciting there and the yuppies ruined the atmosphere.

That feeling I had for the first few years will never come back, but the memories will stay with me forever.......sigh

[+] 6 users Like War Horse's post
18-05-2014, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2014 07:30 AM by War Horse.)
Had a few pics I downloaded this morning, these were in 79, a few years since I'd first went to Bike Week. I seem to have taken up the lifstyle very nicely by then.

This ones at Nova campground...... thats me on the right with the bottle of Jack. (new pic, I got cut in half by PB for some reason)

[Image: sc0001_zps103a46a7.jpg]

And another in camp

[Image: sc0002_zps803c9dc2.jpg]

Most of us ended up like this somewhere.

[Image: sc0003_zpsc8eaa41d.jpg]

Me with the ex wife on the beach getting one of the many tickets I acquired during week.

[Image: sc0000_zps46ddafee.jpg]

[+] 10 users Like War Horse's post