Your most cherished memory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 08:55 AM
RE: Your most cherished memory?
(17-05-2014 04:37 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  What is your most cherished memory that you can recall?

I was somewhere between Kindergarten and second grade. I had a cat ( my very first cat ) named midnight striker. Midnight was the name of my neighbors cat and it was just a really cool name. Striker just sounded awesome. I was woken up in night time on a night without school the next day I believe it was either a weekend or possibly summer time. I cannot possibly recall the time of year. It was not winter I knew that well. The cat had awoken me with its cries. I thought she just tired so I got fed up with it and got out of bed. Thought she was tired and sleepy or something so I decided maybe she just needed a bed to sleep in to rest.

I took out the Dresser drawer in the bottom left side and made a bed from some clothes of mine and made sure it was really soft and picked her up and put her in and laid her down to rest. I stayed for a while and petted her to get her to calm down and take her nap. Then POP out comes this fleshy sack! Almost right away I already knew (even though I had never previous experience with this or knew child birth) what this was after she had started attending to it in eating of the sack to reveal what would be a little baby kitten!

Jumping for joy I did as my cat was having KITTENS! I raced off to my parents room to shout midnight striker was having KITTENS! They sleepily said ok cool just help her deliver them....WTF RIGHT?! A child that young had no idea what was really happening or how to help. They wouldn't even get out of bed to go see. So I saw her give birth to many of them. I do not remember the number they would be. I think it may had been 8.

At my age....virtually all I have left are memories....

A few that stand out (in no particular order):
1. my very first extra-marital affair....what a thrill!
2. Switzerland
3. my first real job
4. getting out of the military alive and well
5. admitting to my atheism and reveling in it.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RaisdCath's post
18-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Being someone who had a significant trauma inflicted upon me during my childhood, my most cherished moments are those in which I do not remember my past.

Forcefully trying to forget something, I found to be harder than trying to remember something.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 6 users Like The Germans are coming's post
18-05-2014, 09:06 AM
(18-05-2014 08:59 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Being someone who had a significant trauma inflicted upon me during my childhood, my most cherished moments are those in which I do not remember my past.

Forcefully trying to forget something, I found to be harder than trying to remember something.

Wow, just wow...I get that.

Those shit memories like to sneak up on you and fuck with your head when least expected.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Great thread Shadowfax!

(17-05-2014 09:35 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
That was twenty-seven years ago. Yes

Blubbing here. Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-05-2014, 10:56 AM
(18-05-2014 09:06 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Wow, just wow...I get that.

Those shit memories like to sneak up on you and fuck with your head when least expected.

Same here. I find making some noise and shaking my head to be the mental equivalent of slapping myself round the face and makes me think of something else. The alternative is to start dwelling on the memories which brings up more bad memories and is a slippery slope back into depression.

I try to think about my work or plans for the future instead. I've had some success with completely re-imagining my history. That can help as well. After all, there's not much difference between imagining and remembering.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
18-05-2014, 11:15 AM
(18-05-2014 06:37 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Had a few pics I downloaded this morning, these were in 79, a few years since I'd first went to Bike Week. I seem to have taken up the lifstyle very nicely by then.

This ones at Nova campground...... thats me on the right with the bottle of Jack.

[Image: sc0001_zps13b4fa4b.jpg]

And another in camp

[Image: sc0002_zps803c9dc2.jpg]

Most of us ended up like this somewhere.

[Image: sc0003_zpsc8eaa41d.jpg]

Me with the ex wife on the beach getting one of the many tickets I acquired during week.

[Image: sc0000_zps46ddafee.jpg]

I look at these pictures and in some way think that if I just look hard enough I will see my dear friend Mark (Oz). In fact, the guy on the far left in the first photo is pretty close.

Geez, I miss that man. What a great guy he was. Sadcryface

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2014, 11:22 AM
(18-05-2014 11:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I look at these pictures and in some way think that if I just look hard enough I will see my dear friend Mark (Oz). In fact, the guy on the far left in the first photo is pretty close.

Geez, I miss that man. What a great guy he was. Sadcryface

If I remember correctly, that was one of the 2 guys that rode down from Alaska, the guy in the middle was Crazy Billy..... one of our crew. Oh and the girls were ours too. Big Grin

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
18-05-2014, 12:47 PM
When I was growing up my mum and dad had a love for the countryside and we would go out for walks and weekends away a lot of the time. On our drives out my dad used to often stop at random viewpoints and get out and admire the view. I never could understand his explanation to how beautiful the scenery and the countryside was and to me it wall all just pretty boring.

When I was 11-12 we went on a holiday to wales, to the Isle of Anglesey. We had been there a few days and one morning I got up and because my mum was still preparing breakfast I went to the play area and sat on the swings.

I looked at the view of Snowdonia and it hit me and all of a sudden I understood everything my dad had said and for the first time I felt an emotion of awe and appreciation for nature. When I get moved like it now its still the same feeling, it hasn't changed.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like bemore's post
18-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Bemore's post kind of reminded me of another memory as far as appreciating the countryside.

My other grandparents (not the ones mentioned earlier in this thread) lived on the Outer Banks of NC. Water, water everywhere!

I remember, even as a small child, how I felt when we reached the last leg of our trip. Going from the farmland of Iowa to the ocean was such a switch. When we were close enough I can remember breathing in the smell of the ocean. I would just fill my lungs with it. Maybe since I was born there and that is where I took my first breaths it just felt so good and so right. Certainly a change from being surrounded by hog and dairy farms.

Even now on the occasions that I get to go to the ocean my first reaction is to fill my lungs with the smell of the salt water and I wait with giddiness until close enough. It takes me right back to what is really home for me.

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Christmas... 2000 or 2001. The three of us kids took our dog Tango down to the golf course for a walk. She was still a puppy back then, even though she was a pretty hefty dog already. We walked the whole morning. I remember that euphoric feeling. The sun was shining... we were all happy. I remember waiting for my sister 'cos she was slow. The dog running in the distance... She was a very graceful dog, despite being a pavement special...

She eventually got so tired we had to carry her all the way home. She was *heavy*.

But I remember thinking at the time "take a mind-photo, you'll remember this moment for the rest of your life"... and yeah, that's probably *the* stand out memory...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post