Your musical tools of the trade.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2014 12:58 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
RE: Your musical tools of the trade.
(12-05-2014 06:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Fantastic wazzel! I don't think I ever met a bassist who played sax. Saxophone is actually my favourite instrument. And I adore bassists.

Now you've met another one. I play bass (primarily), and sopsax (a curvy, HATE the straight, "fish" horn), alto and C-tenor (as far as saxes go). Wanna C-sop as well. The C's work out so much better with fingering in the keys most rock/blues bands tend to live in: E, F, G, A, C, D, and their nat mins.

I also play piano and the Hammond. Flute, too. And of course guitar -- I'm a Strat cat through and through. A little bit of drums too, but nothing flashy there.

Quote:Here is what remains of my incredible Sonor Designer. Toms were stolen. I use this in small venues and at rehearsals. Happily I have another Designer kit.

[Image: IMG00643-20110708-11131-1_zps97bou755.jpg]

[Image: IMG00640-20110708-11121-1_zpsfzlgbi3q.jpg]

Here is a close up of the snare. A killer drum.

[Image: 2011-10-23_11.27.29-1_zpswpdrgjf4.jpg]

I fucking LOVE Sonors. LOVE the deep snare, too. The deeper the better, IMO.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2014, 03:46 AM
It was actually interesting. One guy would be more supportive while the other would solo and strum like a guitarist. I was not really the right drummer for that gig. The more bass they played, the less I did. Really they needed more of a double kick guy. I responded more to the sax player and we had some ripping conversations on our instruments. He was well schooled and had blazing chops. The bass players were a bit unsure what to do so they hung back.

It turned into more of a prog band I believe.

I only played with them three times.

(24-05-2014 12:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 09:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What do you play? Spoons? Guitar?

Don't be shy, show us.

Here is a kit of mine, Yamaha Oak Custom. I took this photo at a rehearsal for some jazz fusion shows.1 rehearsal, 3 gigs. Interesting band. 2 basses, sax, keys and drums. I was not a member. I was hired as a sideman. I got a mate of mine into the band. Great player.

[Image: IMG00610-20110613-1543_000011_zpslbcjbypl.jpg]

[Image: IMG00609-20110613-1543_000001_zpsn5z8gfcy.jpg]

[Image: IMG00611-20110613-15431-1_zpsghaspc9j.jpg]

[Image: IMG00608-20110613-15421-1_zpsr6ytkq63.jpg]

How do the 2 basses interact without stepping all over each other? FUCK, it's hard enough to keep a lot of piano players at bay.....

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-05-2014, 03:54 AM
So cool to meet people playing multiple instruments. I tried and failed on both gtr and bass. Percussion is different. Berimbau, no problem. Guitar, problem.

You like Sonor? I havemany. Here is one circa 1900.

[Image: 2012-09-20_12.14.27-2_zpsqzwblnd_edit_13...b7gluw.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
24-05-2014, 04:25 AM
(24-05-2014 03:46 AM)Banjo Wrote:  It was actually interesting. One guy would be more supportive while the other would solo and strum like a guitarist.

Yeah, that's the only way I could see something like that happening. Esp. if one or both have, like, 8-9-string basses from low B to E.

Quote: I was not really the right drummer for that gig. The more bass they played, the less I did.

Well, less is more, but:

Quote: Really they needed more of a double kick guy.

...and you can make that call, having been there in the fray.

Quote: I responded more to the sax player and we had some ripping conversations on our instruments.

Can you elaborate a little more about that? I find that intriguing. I don't quite know how to explain what I'm on about, and what I'm picturing about what you're describing. Perhaps, more or less, something like what's going on in the Neville Brothers' "Fiyo on the Bayou"...? ....Call-and-respose...?

...and I'm also wondering, how much you emphasize precision Hi-Hat work, over a whole lotta toms/splash/crash/boom/bang/whatnot...? I only ask because a good proportion of the drummers that I have played with and who have impressed me the most -- including the Blade brothers -- could say everything they had to say on a hi-hat, and maybe add in a kick and a snare as an afterthought.

Oh, which also looks like your Sonor kit. (LOL) (G,D,R)...

Quote:He was well schooled and had blazing chops. The bass players were a bit unsure what to do so they hung back.

Hmmmmm...kinda defeats the whole "2-bassist" model if they haven't worked out in advance how they are going to interact, don't you think....?

[quot]
It turned into more of a prog band I believe.

I only played with them three times.

[/quote]

Did they go anywhere...?

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
24-05-2014, 04:28 AM
(24-05-2014 03:54 AM)Banjo Wrote:  So cool to meet people playing multiple instruments. I tried and failed on both gtr and bass. Percussion is different. Berimbau, no problem. Guitar, problem.

You like Sonor? I havemany. Here is one circa 1900.

[Image: 2012-09-20_12.14.27-2_zpsqzwblnd_edit_13...b7gluw.jpg]

REALLY????? And here I was, thinking they only came out with those tight little amazing kits in the late '80s. Man.

I have a hundred-year-old Holton C-sax, any consolation points for that...?

Tongue

24-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Of course. HUGE props for old saxophones. Smile

The hi hat.

The reason I play only enough double kick is my love of the hi hat. To take my foot off that pedal there needs to be a really good reason. So many intricasies are possible.

Kudos for mentioning the Blade brothers. You obviously have good ears. Very good ears indeed.

Often I have performed gigs using just bass snare and hats. I am happy to report nobody has yet noticed. I once asked a trumpeter after a funk gig if he thought what I used was enough. He said, "your kit sounds great!"

He thought I had a 5 piece with a ride and crash. I did not enlighten him. Wink

Good player. He played with TOP!

Bit of a drinker. Maybe that is why he did not notice! Big Grin

I haveno idea what became of that band.

The sax player and I would bounce ideas off each other. On the gig we played Milestones as a duet. It a VERY fast tempo.

Banjo.
24-05-2014, 08:11 PM
(24-05-2014 04:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Of course. HUGE props for old saxophones. Smile

Hee hee....

Quote:The hi hat.

The reason I play only enough double kick is my love of the hi hat. To take my foot off that pedal there needs to be a really good reason. So many intricasies are possible.

Yeah -- I am impressed as shit with a drummer who can really work the hat. For me, that's really where it's at.

Quote:Kudos for mentioning the Blade brothers. You obviously have good ears. Very good ears indeed.

I had the pleasure of knowing them both in our home town when they were in their teens (and VERY GOOD back then!). Done some jamming with them, and played with a bunch of of the folks they played with. Brady knocked me out with his hi-hat work.

Another cat whose work I like a lot is Carter Beauford. Again, complex rhythms on the hat and cymbals.

Quote:Often I have performed gigs using just bass snare and hats. I am happy to report nobody has yet noticed. I once asked a trumpeter after a funk gig if he thought what I used was enough. He said, "your kit sounds great!"

That's funny. Yeah, I way prefer minimal kits.

Quote:He thought I had a 5 piece with a ride and crash. I did not enlighten him. Wink

Good player. He played with TOP!

Bit of a drinker. Maybe that is why he did not notice! Big Grin

LOL

Quote:I have no idea what became of that band.

The sax player and I would bounce ideas off each other. On the gig we played Milestones as a duet. It a VERY fast tempo.

Had to look that one up. Interesting.

27-05-2014, 07:30 AM
(24-05-2014 12:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 09:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What do you play? Spoons? Guitar?

Don't be shy, show us.

Here is a kit of mine, Yamaha Oak Custom. I took this photo at a rehearsal for some jazz fusion shows.1 rehearsal, 3 gigs. Interesting band. 2 basses, sax, keys and drums. I was not a member. I was hired as a sideman. I got a mate of mine into the band. Great player.

[Image: IMG00610-20110613-1543_000011_zpslbcjbypl.jpg]

[Image: IMG00609-20110613-1543_000001_zpsn5z8gfcy.jpg]

[Image: IMG00611-20110613-15431-1_zpsghaspc9j.jpg]

[Image: IMG00608-20110613-15421-1_zpsr6ytkq63.jpg]

How do the 2 basses interact without stepping all over each other? FUCK, it's hard enough to keep a lot of piano players at bay.....

It is not that bad. I played for a short time in a band that had 3 basses and no guitar. As long as you are covering different ranges it is not a big deal. Since I played a 5 string I covered the lower end.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
27-05-2014, 07:31 AM
(24-05-2014 12:54 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 06:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Fantastic wazzel! I don't think I ever met a bassist who played sax. Saxophone is actually my favourite instrument. And I adore bassists.

Now you've met another one. I play bass (primarily), and sopsax (a curvy, HATE the straight, "fish" horn), alto and C-tenor (as far as saxes go). Wanna C-sop as well. The C's work out so much better with fingering in the keys most rock/blues bands tend to live in: E, F, G, A, C, D, and their nat mins.

I also play piano and the Hammond. Flute, too. And of course guitar -- I'm a Strat cat through and through. A little bit of drums too, but nothing flashy there.

Quote:Here is what remains of my incredible Sonor Designer. Toms were stolen. I use this in small venues and at rehearsals. Happily I have another Designer kit.

[Image: IMG00643-20110708-11131-1_zps97bou755.jpg]

[Image: IMG00640-20110708-11121-1_zpsfzlgbi3q.jpg]

Here is a close up of the snare. A killer drum.

[Image: 2011-10-23_11.27.29-1_zpswpdrgjf4.jpg]

I fucking LOVE Sonors. LOVE the deep snare, too. The deeper the better, IMO.

Super cool. You have a c-melody sax? I have not seen one in person.
27-05-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm good at this
[Image: Piano-7-300x225.jpg]
But way better at this
[Image: mzl.qnlhrbvg.175x175-75.jpg]
and
this
[Image: smule_magicpiano.jpg]

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]