Your musical tools of the trade.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 02:48 AM
RE: Your musical tools of the trade.
(27-05-2014 07:30 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 12:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  How do the 2 basses interact without stepping all over each other? FUCK, it's hard enough to keep a lot of piano players at bay.....

It is not that bad. I played for a short time in a band that had 3 basses and no guitar. As long as you are covering different ranges it is not a big deal. Since I played a 5 string I covered the lower end.

I can see that.

There's something that confuses and intrigues me about all this, BTW: Henry Butler, the famous N'Awlins piano player, bangs the fucking SHIT out of the left hand, but when you listen to his recordings, he's never in conflict with the bass player. I am trying to figure THAT out. He uses an RD-700, and it seems to me -- and I reserve the right to be dead wrong, and I admit I dunno and I sure wanna know -- that he's laying off the low-Hz freqs in the EQ on that RD700, and leaving that sonic space open for the bassist. I'm guessing that he's maybe rolling off the low freqs at some point, let's call it "x". but maintaining the rich harmonics off the left-hand strings that remain, maintaining the percussiveness and the rich sonic character of the low end of the piano, without walking all over the bass player.

I dunno, that's one of a shitload of other questions I wish I would have thought to ask him one night I had him cornered and got to chat with him for (at least from my perspective), a magical couple of hours....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-05-2014, 03:05 AM
(27-05-2014 07:31 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 12:54 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Now you've met another one. I play bass (primarily), and sopsax (a curvy, HATE the straight, "fish" horn), alto and C-tenor (as far as saxes go). Wanna C-sop as well. The C's work out so much better with fingering in the keys most rock/blues bands tend to live in: E, F, G, A, C, D, and their nat mins.

I also play piano and the Hammond. Flute, too. And of course guitar -- I'm a Strat cat through and through. A little bit of drums too, but nothing flashy there.

I fucking LOVE Sonors. LOVE the deep snare, too. The deeper the better, IMO.

Super cool. You have a c-melody sax? I have not seen one in person.

YES, it's a hundred-year-old Holton. Actually, they are going for pretty cheap on Ebay (There are ALSO, C-Soprano saxes, and even F-Alto saxes, but that's another fascinating story, if ur interested -- you really don't think Adolphe Sax intended that players of his horns should have to struggle to play Bb and Eb instruments in concert bands/orchestras that play in the common keys, C, G, D, A, E, D....? No, it's just that, by an accident of history, the Bb/Eb instruments took off with military/brass bands and the C/F horns didn't make any inroads with composers in Sachs' time.). One thing about Holtons is that they messed around about that time and experimented with non-standard key arrangements, including one on the horn I've got , which is a right-hand high "D" key set in a VERY intuitive way to coordinate and interact with the right-hand high-C key. They are cool horns. You can get 'em for dead cheap.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Amazing. I wish I'd stocked up on old kits before they became popular.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-05-2014, 07:41 AM
(28-05-2014 02:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 07:30 AM)wazzel Wrote:  It is not that bad. I played for a short time in a band that had 3 basses and no guitar. As long as you are covering different ranges it is not a big deal. Since I played a 5 string I covered the lower end.

I can see that.

There's something that confuses and intrigues me about all this, BTW: Henry Butler, the famous N'Awlins piano player, bangs the fucking SHIT out of the left hand, but when you listen to his recordings, he's never in conflict with the bass player. I am trying to figure THAT out. He uses an RD-700, and it seems to me -- and I reserve the right to be dead wrong, and I admit I dunno and I sure wanna know -- that he's laying off the low-Hz freqs in the EQ on that RD700, and leaving that sonic space open for the bassist. I'm guessing that he's maybe rolling off the low freqs at some point, let's call it "x". but maintaining the rich harmonics off the left-hand strings that remain, maintaining the percussiveness and the rich sonic character of the low end of the piano, without walking all over the bass player.

I dunno, that's one of a shitload of other questions I wish I would have thought to ask him one night I had him cornered and got to chat with him for (at least from my perspective), a magical couple of hours....

You just have to be able to play around each other. During my time in the church choir we had 3 bass voices to work with. One piano who played straight, a key boardist who improved and me on bass improving. It all worked since we played together enough to know what the other was going to do so we stayed off each others toes.
28-05-2014, 07:43 AM
[Image: 2011-10-20_12.27.04-1_zpsneeitgwk.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-05-2014, 07:44 AM
(28-05-2014 03:05 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 07:31 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Super cool. You have a c-melody sax? I have not seen one in person.

YES, it's a hundred-year-old Holton. Actually, they are going for pretty cheap on Ebay (There are ALSO, C-Soprano saxes, and even F-Alto saxes, but that's another fascinating story, if ur interested -- you really don't think Adolphe Sax intended that players of his horns should have to struggle to play Bb and Eb instruments in concert bands/orchestras that play in the common keys, C, G, D, A, E, D....? No, it's just that, by an accident of history, the Bb/Eb instruments took off with military/brass bands and the C/F horns didn't make any inroads with composers in Sachs' time.). One thing about Holtons is that they messed around about that time and experimented with non-standard key arrangements, including one on the horn I've got , which is a right-hand high "D" key set in a VERY intuitive way to coordinate and interact with the right-hand high-C key. They are cool horns. You can get 'em for dead cheap.

C and F would be much easier the Bb and Eb. I did not realize there were C/F horns other than the C-melody. When I replace my 30-something year old alto I am going to get the extended range.
28-05-2014, 07:47 AM
[Image: Apple_MacBook.jpg]

[Image: Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-poker-45046.png]

You caught me, I'm Skrillex.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
28-05-2014, 08:05 AM
(28-05-2014 07:47 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

What programs do you use on it?

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
28-05-2014, 08:21 AM
(28-05-2014 08:05 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:47 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

What programs do you use on it?

I was just messing around, I don't do anything musical. I dabble in graphics, but I'm a programmer for the most part.

Atir aissom atir imon
28-05-2014, 02:00 PM
I make birds sing when I go bird watching.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post