Your online safety..........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Your online safety..........
So yesterday online, a "lady" made her first post in an atheist group post a selfie. Very attractive "cougar", and comments followed about how attractive she was.

Atheist or not, a huge red flag is when there really is no history. In fact right after I say the post I went to "her" page. At first I saw little on the page. But decided to chat "her" up to see if she was lagit. Seemed so, so but I couldn't send her a friend's request. no not to get her personal info, but because I like talking to other atheists. So "she" publicly said "sure" but 30 mins later still no request sent to me. So I pmed "her" and she said she was busy. But finally accepted.

So finally in the public thread I said I was sorry for sounding pushy, but said there was lost of scammers out there who will use a pretty picture of a women to scam men out of their personal info. Less than a half hour later I was blocked by "her".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2015, 05:38 AM
RE: Your online safety..........
Ok....ermm, so you didn't fall for a pretty face....good for you!

[Image: 004.sig]
Find all posts by this user
28-11-2015, 05:42 AM
Maybe after being harassed n public by sweaty men ogling her, a stranger pushing her for full access to her private information and then further shaming her in public was too much?

You have more information than you have posted here so you may well be right, but from what you have posted it seems that if she was legitimate she didn't find a safe place to be herself in your Facebook group.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
28-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Haha. Once when I was trying online dating, a girl that was a *hell* of a looker sent me a friend request so I messaged her back. She immediately asked to continue the chat off-site. There were a few other red flags about her too - her original friend request message was pretty vague and there was only one photo of her on her profile. I reported her as a possible scammer and shortly after that she was no longer on the site.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-11-2015, 06:56 AM
Wait wait wait, back the crazy train up a bit.

This lady posts a pretty picture of herself. You see said picture and your first thought, well probably your second thought, is to PM her wanting to be "friends" and totally just "to get to know her and talk to other atheists"?
And so she blocks your ass after being subjected to this weird pressure from some strange man she's never seen before..

And so your warning is that she's the creepy one?

I'm not saying you're creepy or anything, but it sounds like you came across rather "strong" and she just blocked you.
When someone posts a picture of themselves it's generally not a good idea to just go ham on their pm box immediately after.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 8 users Like earmuffs's post
28-11-2015, 07:12 AM
(28-11-2015 05:19 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  So yesterday online, a "lady" made her first post in an atheist group post a selfie. Very attractive "cougar", and comments followed about how attractive she was.

Atheist or not, a huge red flag is when there really is no history. In fact right after I say the post I went to "her" page. At first I saw little on the page. But decided to chat "her" up to see if she was lagit. Seemed so, so but I couldn't send her a friend's request. no not to get her personal info, but because I like talking to other atheists. So "she" publicly said "sure" but 30 mins later still no request sent to me. So I pmed "her" and she said she was busy. But finally accepted.

So finally in the public thread I said I was sorry for sounding pushy, but said there was lost of scammers out there who will use a pretty picture of a women to scam men out of their personal info. Less than a half hour later I was blocked by "her".

She felt insulted by you, maybe!
28-11-2015, 08:31 AM
(28-11-2015 05:19 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  So yesterday online, a "lady" made her first post in an atheist group post a selfie. Very attractive "cougar", and comments followed about how attractive she was.

Maybe she realized you`re an ABBA fan, that would be enough for me to block you
Tongue

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
28-11-2015, 08:42 AM
(28-11-2015 08:31 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  

Maybe she realized you`re an ABBA fan, that would be enough for me to block you
Tongue

Perhaps there was just something in the air that night. The question is whether or not he has any regrets even though he lost and if he'd do the same again.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
28-11-2015, 08:45 AM
I think you do need to be careful online. But I don't think you need to assume everyone is a scammer--especially if you have had little to no interaction with them and they are not bothering you. Most scammers will come after you--not the other way around.

It sounds like you were "investigating" this woman from the start without her really giving you a reason to and I'm sure she picked up on that and found it pushy. If she is attractive she probably gets a lot of requests and pm's from all sorts of people and it may be hard for her to keep up with everybody.

I usually trust people *to a point*, until they give me a reason not to. I don't put a lot of personal info about myself online. I'm very careful who I even give my email addy to. Obviously, if this random woman started asking for money--that would be a red flag. If she hasn't and isn't doing anything other than being attractive--let her be.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
28-11-2015, 08:47 AM
When your a mod here you have to approve new members to join. You can just tell the spambots but sometimes you can get the occasional new member who joins and your like.....

[Image: suspicious-fry.jpg]

I just tell myself now "Its the internet"....

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post