Your (our) final moments as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Your (our) final moments as an atheist
So the big question. When we exit our lives I am wondering what my fellow brothers and sisters think about how they will think and feel if they are aware of the moments leading up to our eventual demise.

Will you be scared? Like oh shit I am just going to flipping disappear and in moments it's lights out for ever and that's it the end ....

I find it difficult getting around that part. Just thinking about that moment before our consciousness disappears. Llike just gone forever. It's kind of amazing in a way just to think on it but kind of scary.

What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2016, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 02:55 PM by Commonsensei.)
RE: Your (our) final moments as an atheist
Where were you in 1855?

Do you sit up late at night thinking "Man. If only I had existed in 1855. What will this world be like if only I was around in 1855?"

If not then why would the year 2155 be any different?

Yeah it's a little scary not knowing when but. It doesn't change if you believe in a god or not. When people die loved ones will still get sad. But it's one of those things that is a given in any life.

That's why the time we are around you have to make the most of it. Because you'll never get another chance.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 8 users Like Commonsensei's post
14-09-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm ok with it.
What goes on after I die isn't really relevant to what is going on with me right now.
Whatever my consciousness might be, I figure it will be how it was before I was born. Maybe. It's all speculative.
I do know that I have no control over my own death.
Millions upon billions of people have existed prior to me and will exist after me. One day, this planet will lose it's atmosphere and our Sun will swallow it. The galaxy Andromeda will eventually collide with our Milky Way and ... who knows ...

Like I said - I'm ok with it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-09-2016, 03:00 PM
(14-09-2016 02:45 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  So the big question. When we exit our lives I am wondering what my fellow brothers and sisters think about how they will think and feel if they are aware of the moments leading up to our eventual demise.

Will you be scared? Like oh shit I am just going to flipping disappear and in moments it's lights out for ever and that's it the end ....

I find it difficult getting around that part. Just thinking about that moment before our consciousness disappears. Llike just gone forever. It's kind of amazing in a way just to think on it but kind of scary.

What do you guys think?
I was declared KIA-BNR twice. My mother kept the telegrams. In both cases I was pretty sure I was going to die, and in neither case did I even slightly consider calling on a divine being to help me or whatever they're supposed to be good for.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Gawdzilla's post
14-09-2016, 03:04 PM
I'll be tripping my balls off. Doubt I'll even notice.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-09-2016, 03:14 PM
I guess it depends on the circumstances. I sort of hope it happens in my sleep and I'm blissfully unaware.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
14-09-2016, 03:15 PM
I have been severely injured three times in my life, life threatening injuries. I have also had potentially deadly situations I have had to deal with, to save my life and the lives of others, both as a pilot and a police officer.

Not once have I even thought of god...it never even occurs to me. I deal with what I have to deal with the best I can, and that's all I can do.

While I do not believe in a creator, I have no idea if our consciousness survives without our bodies in some form. There is enough circumstantial evidence to at least make me curious. I will probably face death as an interesting and inescapable conclusion, with, perhaps, a twist. If there is no twist, I'll never know it.
[+] 4 users Like The Dark One's post
14-09-2016, 03:16 PM
(14-09-2016 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'll be tripping my balls off. Doubt I'll even notice.

"Get out of my mind!" Mother Helen Helen Gaius Mohian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
14-09-2016, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 03:23 PM by Loom.)
Did you mind the whole 14 some odd billion years it took to be born? No?

Then you won't mind being dead.

If you've ever passed out before, it's probably akin to being dead. Nothingness.

It is a scary thought to overcome, of course. I suffer from a panic disorder now thanks to my deconversion.

But you realize how precious and amazing every day in life is and, really, riding a roller coaster forever would deaden the fun and you'd probably get sick of it after a while...it might be over when you reach the station but at least it was a heck of a ride!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
14-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Did... I... sign... my organ donor... card?

Yes, Guley.

Do not... use... the liver!
*bleh*

[+] 11 users Like TheGulegon's post