Your (our) final moments as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2016, 04:29 AM
RE: Your (our) final moments as an atheist
(20-09-2016 09:16 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 07:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Any thinking another should die, especially for not conforming to their particular set of beliefs or practices is quite obviously not genuinely interested in the direction of man ordained by GOD.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

So from what you've said earlier you don't think any specific religion is associated with your god, and any name for god will do. But you're also saying that you know what direction god wants mankind to take?

Please inform us. Where did you get this info?

Maybe he does want us to kill each other, and isn't as nice as you say. I'm not privy to your god's inner thoughts like you are though.

He has created his own god, thus proving us correct.

He's too simple to realise it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
21-09-2016, 04:49 AM
(20-09-2016 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 07:04 PM)julep Wrote:  I'll let you fight it out with the people who believe just as fervently as you do that there are multiple gods, or that there is one god who condemns people who don't believe to various sorts of torment. Nothing you've written on this forum makes me think you've got any special insight into these matters.

And just to be clear: I'm not ignorant of your god, as you've done a great job of describing this repulsive, and of course completely implausible, being to us. I'm against your god as fundamentally immoral.

I have zero interest in pleasing your god, especially if it means sharing postmortem rewards with the likes of you and those other "righteous and morally obliged" folks. Yuck. Please bother someone else.
You're lying.

I've only ever stayed that GOD is benevolent, so what repulsed you?

No I am not lying. You just don't understand that the concept of benevolence (for example, the multiple threads where you have justified your god's commands to his followers to commit genocide and enslave others). You can say your god is benevolent all you want; the actions you ascribe to the god contradict the very definition of benevolence, so repellant is the more accurate word.

Your god is fuzzy-minded, hypocritical, emotionally fragile, rage-filled, impotent, and a terrible communicator. I get that making a god in your own image is comforting, but I am not convinced that using this placebo is going to fix what needs to be fixed in you.

I wish you would get real help for your problems.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
21-09-2016, 05:30 AM
(20-09-2016 09:16 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 07:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Any thinking another should die, especially for not conforming to their particular set of beliefs or practices is quite obviously not genuinely interested in the direction of man ordained by GOD.

Peace

So from what you've said earlier you don't think any specific religion is associated with your god, and any name for god will do. But you're also saying that you know what direction god wants mankind to take?

Maybe he does want us to kill each other, and isn't as nice as you say. I'm not privy to your god's inner thoughts like you are though.
Study of core religious texts and personal revelation.

21-09-2016, 05:32 AM
(21-09-2016 04:49 AM)julep Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You're lying.

I've only ever stayed that GOD is benevolent, so what repulsed you?

No I am not lying. You just don't understand that the concept of benevolence (for example, the multiple threads where you have justified your god's commands to his followers to commit genocide and enslave others). You can say your god is benevolent all you want; the actions you ascribe to the god contradict the very definition of benevolence, so repellant is the more accurate word.

Your god is fuzzy-minded, hypocritical, emotionally fragile, rage-filled, impotent, and a terrible communicator. I get that making a god in your own image is comforting, but I am not convinced that using this placebo is going to fix what needs to be fixed in you.

What actions have I ascribed to GOD?

21-09-2016, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2016 05:57 AM by unfogged.)
(20-09-2016 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 06:03 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Prove it. Provide ANY actual evidence for it.
This again?

Yes, this again. You are making a claims and you are refusing to back it up. You will get a demand for evidence whenever you make a claim. I don't know why you'd expect anything else.

Quote:We both know I can't prove it. And we both know you can't prove the contrary.

I am not claiming the contrary. I claim only that I do not believe you have any evidence for your claim and my evidence for that is your complete and total inability to provide a shred of evidence that what you believe is anything more than a personal delusion. If you can't support your claims then you need to stop making them because they only make you sound stupid.

Quote:The conscience and that it seems tied to all human life and objective morality definitely doesn't refute the possibility of GOD.

It doesn't support the possibility either. Your god appears to be an unnecessary component.

Quote:The fact that mathematics can exactly define pretty much everything that is even remotely observable seems to me, to lend strong credence to the possibility of some sort of intelligent design.

Perhaps because we defined mathematics to mirror what we observe. If mathematics didn't map to reality then we'd define it differently. You are looking at it exactly backwards.

Quote:The fact that I was literally changed from not only atheism, but from a whole way of being, and helped immeasurably and instantly is proof to me without a doubt, but I can't prove any of that even happened.

You also can't demonstrate the cause of that event if it did. We know that psychotic events happen. We know people have hallucinations. We know people can be deluded. We know the mind plays strange tricks on us sometimes. Every one of those is far more likely than that you were contacted by some supernatural being since we have NO evidence that that can happen. You've picked a reason that you like and have no good reason for doing so.

Quote:Anyway, basically, I can't prove anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't true or real.

No, it doesn't. What it does mean is that there is no reason for anybody to believe it or to give anything you say any credence at all. Until you have evidence you are just another nutter.

(20-09-2016 07:26 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I'll ask you again; why do you think I am a danger to any? As if I run around speaking of morality and equality and peace yet secretly want the opposite.

If you're basing it off of my past, well that's in the past.

If you're basing it off of previous posts to certain people nearly a year ago, well, I admit that I was angered, but I also remind you that this this the internet and I have changed even from then.

I am basing it on what I gathered from your posts since I have no other evidence. Your personality has settled down quite a bit since you first joined which may be a good sign but you still seem somewhat erratic at times. Between your apparent delusion that you have been directly contacted by a supernatural agent, your admission of at least one violent incident, your intermittent rage, and just the general inconsistency and incoherence of your beliefs as you try to explain them it is my opinion that you would benefit from professional help.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
21-09-2016, 05:36 AM
(21-09-2016 05:30 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Study of core religious texts and personal revelation.

You have yet to provide a way to identify "core" religious texts except that they seem to be the bits and pieces that align with what you want to believe is true. It is nonsensical to talk about "core scripture" until you can define an objective way to identify them. Until then, there is no "core" that anybody can agree on.

Your personal revelation is not evidence for anybody else and should not be evidence for you since other, mundane causes for it can explain it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
21-09-2016, 05:39 AM
(21-09-2016 05:30 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 09:16 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  So from what you've said earlier you don't think any specific religion is associated with your god, and any name for god will do. But you're also saying that you know what direction god wants mankind to take?

Study of core religious texts and personal revelation.

Revelation provides no knowledge - it's just your imagination.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2016, 07:57 AM
(21-09-2016 05:32 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 04:49 AM)julep Wrote:  No I am not lying. You just don't understand that the concept of benevolence (for example, the multiple threads where you have justified your god's commands to his followers to commit genocide and enslave others). You can say your god is benevolent all you want; the actions you ascribe to the god contradict the very definition of benevolence, so repellant is the more accurate word.

What actions have I ascribed to GOD?

Approval of genocide, rape, and slavery. Mass murder, as you seem to accept some version of the Flood and Sodom and Gomorrah stories. You love the New Testament: even post Jesus, God strikes Ananias and Saphira dead for not giving him enough money and being afraid to tell the truth about that. He doesn't make them sick, he doesn't shame them or require them to do extra good for others: he strikes them dead.

Your god--according to you, Pops--is so inept at communication that he allows multiple contradictory and inflammatory holy texts to coexist without caring to clarify which scriptures are garbage or garbled and which are the "core." Therefore, your god is directly responsible for every murder committed in his name.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
23-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I think it might have been Socrates who realised that there is nothing to be afraid of.

D.
01-12-2016, 01:37 AM
As I am dying, whenever, and however, that may be, I will be happy and content. The reason being is because I am happy for the time I will have had here not for what I wish I had. That's how it will be for me when I am dying.