Your (our) final moments as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 06:41 AM
RE: Your (our) final moments as an atheist
When my life passes in front of my eyes, it will be fun - I made sure it would be interesting.

Your fear of death diminishes more and more the older you get. Live long enough, and the idea of going to sleep for good will be your friend. It's those selfish relatives who keep pushing you to hang on against all nature that are the obstacle for a peaceful, welcome death.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-12-2016, 06:42 AM
(14-09-2016 02:45 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  So the big question. When we exit our lives I am wondering what my fellow brothers and sisters think about how they will think and feel if they are aware of the moments leading up to our eventual demise.

Will you be scared? Like oh shit I am just going to flipping disappear and in moments it's lights out for ever and that's it the end ....

I find it difficult getting around that part. Just thinking about that moment before our consciousness disappears. Llike just gone forever. It's kind of amazing in a way just to think on it but kind of scary.

What do you guys think?

I'm just hoping I live long enough to see all the things I want to see before I cash in my chips. No point in worrying about being gone, I will just be gone and that's it.
01-12-2016, 06:44 AM
(21-09-2016 05:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 05:30 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Study of core religious texts and personal revelation.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Revelation provides no knowledge - it's just your imagination.

No knowledge is also knowledge. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-12-2016, 07:36 AM
(01-12-2016 06:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 05:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  Revelation provides no knowledge - it's just your imagination.

No knowledge is also knowledge. Tongue

When you think you think, you only think you think, because thinking of thoughts is thoughtless thinking.

Haha, this is a saying I picked up in Germany as a kid. I was fascinated by it...Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-12-2016, 07:50 AM
I think it was the BeardedClam who went through the trauma of deathwatch where dude kept saying "Let's get this show on the road." I like that. Of course I plan to chase it with a search for the LD50 of Hofmann's problem child. Yes

#sigh
01-12-2016, 09:32 AM
(01-12-2016 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  When you think you think, you only think you think, because thinking of thoughts is thoughtless thinking.
I was thinking I might think about thinking on this a bit when I'm done thinking some other thoughts. Tongue

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
01-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Well I would be scared if I died in some tragic way, but if I live a long life and pass away peacefully then I don't find that frightening. I will probably be unaware that I am dying, anyway.

What I am afraid of is those I love dying, because I will have to continue on without them. Sometimes I worry about my dog dying because he gives me a lot of emotional support.

I think that I would be more afraid of death if I were religious. >.<
01-12-2016, 10:32 PM
(14-09-2016 03:19 PM)julep Wrote:  The idea of being dead and gone doesn't disturb me particularly, no.

I'd definitely be more worried if I was a theist (like you), uncertain if I'd picked the right god or denomination, always afraid of being sentenced to eternal torment for that honest mistake.

And when you realize nothing's there, the harsh reality that you wasted your one life living it for a magical being.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-12-2016, 04:58 PM
(14-09-2016 02:45 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  So the big question. When we exit our lives I am wondering what my fellow brothers and sisters think about how they will think and feel if they are aware of the moments leading up to our eventual demise.

Will you be scared? Like oh shit I am just going to flipping disappear and in moments it's lights out for ever and that's it the end ....

I find it difficult getting around that part. Just thinking about that moment before our consciousness disappears. Llike just gone forever. It's kind of amazing in a way just to think on it but kind of scary.

What do you guys think?

ST,

I have no memory of my big motorcycle accident - nothing. I can remember before it, getting on the bike, and then zilch. This is comforting, and if death is like that I have no worries at all. OTOH if I slip away and then find myself in some sort of celestial post mortem interview, then that thought is not so comforting. Gasp

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post