Your (our) final moments as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2016, 03:19 PM
RE: Your (our) final moments as an atheist
The idea of being dead and gone doesn't disturb me particularly, no.

I'd definitely be more worried if I was a theist (like you), uncertain if I'd picked the right god or denomination, always afraid of being sentenced to eternal torment for that honest mistake.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
14-09-2016, 03:27 PM
(14-09-2016 03:17 PM)Loom Wrote:  Did you mind the whole 14 some odd billion years it took to be born? No?

Then you won't mind being dead.

If you've ever passed out before, it's probably akin to being dead. Nothingness.

It is a scary thought to overcome, of course. I suffer from a panic disorder now thanks to my deconversion.

But you realize how precious and amazing every day in life is and, really, riding a roller coaster forever would deaden the fun and you'd probably get sick of it after a while...it might be over when you reach the station but at least it was a heck of a ride!

I suppose I'll tell a dark secret. I tried to kill myself ; especially because in the moment of decision I just gambled that atheism was right. I made the wrong decision and I panicked when I was helpless to reverse the decision. Because I realized something was "there". It wasn't that easy escape and long story short I survived. Maybe an hallucination who knows.
[+] 1 user Likes ScientificTruth321's post
14-09-2016, 03:28 PM
(14-09-2016 02:45 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  So the big question. When we exit our lives I am wondering what my fellow brothers and sisters think about how they will think and feel if they are aware of the moments leading up to our eventual demise.

Will you be scared? Like oh shit I am just going to flipping disappear and in moments it's lights out for ever and that's it the end ....

I find it difficult getting around that part. Just thinking about that moment before our consciousness disappears. Llike just gone forever. It's kind of amazing in a way just to think on it but kind of scary.

What do you guys think?

It all depends on the individual. I would be scared of a slow long decline and the pain that would go with it. I would also be afraid of missing my loved ones. But under duress nobody really can say until they are in the moment. It is easy to say outside the moment as to how you would like to act, but that is armchair quarterbacking.

Dawkins had said in the past he wanted his last moments recorded so that nobody could claim he had a deathbed conversion. But that is a bad idea because doped up and or in mental decline you wont be you.

Hitchens had said if he he ever became that bad off mentally because of health he would not want anyone taking his word for it because he would no longer be in his lucid state. I feel the same way.

What the ghost writer of Flew's book did was insidious. He took advantage of a person in mental decline and basically lied about it.

But no, in my lucid state I will never be afraid of a fictional sky wizard or a ground villain. It would be like being afraid of Yoda and Darth Vader.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
14-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Quote:I suppose I'll tell a dark secret. I tried to kill myself ; especially because in the moment of decision I just gambled that atheism was right. I made the wrong decision and I panicked when I was helpless to reverse the decision. Because I realized something was "there". It wasn't that easy escape and long story short I survived. Maybe an hallucination who knows.
That's too bad. I'm sorry you went through that, Scientific Guy.
If you wish to have this thread moved to the personal support section, I'm sure that discussion can continue. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-09-2016, 03:34 PM
(14-09-2016 03:27 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I suppose I'll tell a dark secret. I tried to kill myself

This sort of trolling is really not funny.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
14-09-2016, 03:37 PM
(14-09-2016 03:32 PM)kim Wrote:  
Quote:I suppose I'll tell a dark secret. I tried to kill myself ; especially because in the moment of decision I just gambled that atheism was right. I made the wrong decision and I panicked when I was helpless to reverse the decision. Because I realized something was "there". It wasn't that easy escape and long story short I survived. Maybe an hallucination who knows.
That's too bad. I'm sorry you went through that, Scientific Guy.
If you wish to have this thread moved to the personal support section, I'm sure that discussion can continue. Shy

I don't think I'll go into detail on that. It's just a small comment related to the title. It's like 17 years ago as well. I knew though it wasn't just simply dying and disappearing; I kind of thought that just too damn convenient. But again, for this discussion it proves nothing and an hallucination I guess.
14-09-2016, 03:38 PM
I do envy atheists not knowing. It's a sweet thing not to know in lots of ways. That's why I became one so I can enjoy the benefits.
14-09-2016, 03:41 PM
(14-09-2016 03:27 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:17 PM)Loom Wrote:  Did you mind the whole 14 some odd billion years it took to be born? No?

Then you won't mind being dead.

If you've ever passed out before, it's probably akin to being dead. Nothingness.

It is a scary thought to overcome, of course. I suffer from a panic disorder now thanks to my deconversion.

But you realize how precious and amazing every day in life is and, really, riding a roller coaster forever would deaden the fun and you'd probably get sick of it after a while...it might be over when you reach the station but at least it was a heck of a ride!

I suppose I'll tell a dark secret. I tried to kill myself ; especially because in the moment of decision I just gambled that atheism was right. I made the wrong decision and I panicked when I was helpless to reverse the decision. Because I realized something was "there". It wasn't that easy escape and long story short I survived. Maybe an hallucination who knows.

The human brain is known to 'panic' and cause all sorts of hallucinations and sensations when in distress.

I had a 'heart attack' once that resulted in me passing out...my heart is fine, my brain convinced me otherwise.

Such intense feelings are pretty common in NDEs. In essence, the brain is grasping at straws to help prevent its death.

I 'm sorry you went through that.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
14-09-2016, 03:44 PM
(14-09-2016 03:38 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I do envy atheists not knowing. It's a sweet thing not to know in lots of ways. That's why I became one so I can enjoy the benefits.

What makes you think being atheist is any different than being theist, when it comes to death? We're all human beings - we all die.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-09-2016, 03:47 PM
(14-09-2016 03:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Hitchens had said if he he ever became that bad off mentally because of health he would not want anyone taking his word for it because he would no longer be in his lucid state. I feel the same way.

Have you read Hitchen's "Mortality"? He wrote quite a bit about himself as his cancer progressed and he knew his death would be soon. His appreciation of irony turned what could have been very depressing into an interesting and thought-provoking read.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post