Your (our) final moments as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2016, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 10:24 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Your (our) final moments as an atheist
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
---- Mark Twain

(I've seen a number of people, kids and adults, die in the hospital. There's nothing to fear.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-09-2016, 04:09 PM
(14-09-2016 03:38 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I do envy atheists not knowing. It's a sweet thing not to know in lots of ways. That's why I became one so I can enjoy the benefits.

Loosing ones religious belief isn't like a light switch. Most people will tell you the years it took them to break out of the brainwashing.

It's also not a "club" there are not any practices, dogma's or promises.

What lead you to this position ST?

Did you distance yourself from your church? Did you watch or read something that made you question?

Only listen to these statement if your comments are insincere.

I'm sure your having fun, "joking" maybe this is your way of dealing with things IDK. But if you have been in the Baptist Church for 32 years that is quiet some time. And their not a group that is know for acceptance, to people outside their church. I would even suspect that you are still in. From you post's and humor I suspect that you would be more in the late teens or early 20's.

Science isn't a religion and will never be one.

" Science adjusts its views based on what's observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
" Tim Minchin

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
14-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Death is something that is just here, always. You can never know when your life might end. So why freak out about it. Just live your life as happy and fullfilled as you can (or work on getting to that point).

Though up until I have let go of EVERY bit of indoctrination in me, I had regular panic attacks about death.
Nowadays I am very indifferent about it. I would like to be alive for a little longer but if it happens, so be it.

I am not scared. I almost died several times in my life, and currently get to the almost dead point on a yearly basis as my lungs are getting worse and worse.
To be honest, the times I was the closest to death were also the times I was the calmest about it.

I don't have to know if something happens after death or not. It is unlikely as far as scientific evidence goes and that is also what I prefer. The scenarios for after life that I know are all things that I do not want to experience.

What happens in my final moments?
Well realistically speaking, if things keep advancing this way, my lungs will give up one day and I might start dieing because of that. Sounds horrible and scary to me. So I know that on the day, when I get that diagnosis, that now it is terminal, I will start planning my exit. Because I cannot accept ending up a vegetable. I will decide the time and method and place myself at that point. But I hope that this point is FAAAAAAR in the future, as I would like to experience some nice things before I go.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
14-09-2016, 05:52 PM
"Tell my wife to get a good lawyer and sue these bastards for malpractice."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
14-09-2016, 06:31 PM
(14-09-2016 04:09 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:38 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I do envy atheists not knowing. It's a sweet thing not to know in lots of ways. That's why I became one so I can enjoy the benefits.

Loosing ones religious belief isn't like a light switch. Most people will tell you the years it took them to break out of the brainwashing.

Did you distance yourself from your church? Did you watch or read something that made you question?

I'm sure your having fun, "joking" maybe this is your way of dealing with things IDK. But if you have been in the Baptist Church for 32 years that is quiet some time. And their not a group that is know for acceptance, to people outside their church. I would even suspect that you are still in. From you post's and humor I suspect that you would be more in the late teens or early 20's.

" Tim Minchin

Let's put it this way: When I talk about science and reason and claim this I am lying and when I say I was a baptist I am telling the truth? What makes you think I am not lying for Marx?

I have known about inflexible thinking but I am really marveling at how under intelligence and mentally rigid atheists really are. It's quite an eye opener to how less intelligent I expected.
14-09-2016, 06:41 PM
At work.

Umm..... perhaps there's just a miss comunication in word use?

Consider

Thumbsup
14-09-2016, 06:43 PM
(14-09-2016 06:31 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I have known about inflexible thinking but I am really marveling ......

You are easily amazed. You should get out more.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Yesterday I had a minor medical procedure done where I was sedated (unconscious) for about an hour.
I don't remember any of it. If something had gone wrong and I had died I wouldn't be aware of it now.

If I have some sort of life threatening accident I'll more than likely be unconscious before I die and won't remember anything either.

If I find myself facing some terminal illness that will slowly and painfully end my life, I will end it as I see fit, without pain and without an imaginary god.
[+] 7 users Like pablo's post
14-09-2016, 07:01 PM
(14-09-2016 06:31 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 04:09 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Loosing ones religious belief isn't like a light switch. Most people will tell you the years it took them to break out of the brainwashing.

" Tim Minchin

Let's put it this way: When I talk about science and reason and claim this I am lying and when I say I was a baptist I am telling the truth? What makes you think I am not lying for Marx?

I have known about inflexible thinking but I am really marveling at how under intelligence and mentally rigid atheists really are. It's quite an eye opener to how less intelligent I expected.

In my personal estimation, you come across as a squirrelly individual. Most people here see that as a sign of trolling, and they are usually right. As long as you keep up the squirrelly behavior, that's the response you'll get...right up to the ban hammer. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
14-09-2016, 07:41 PM
If it's the kind of death I'm hoping for, I imagine the adrenaline rush will suppress such rational thinking. If I manage to make it to the so called death bed, I like to think I'll just view it as rolling over to take a nap. I'll try to make one last dark humored, inappropriate, fucked up joke as I slip away just to give myself one last laugh as I look at the expressions on all the normal people's faces.

And my last meal will be three MREs and a couple laxatives because I want my death fart to be something to remember.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post