Your (our) final moments as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2016, 07:46 PM
RE: Your (our) final moments as an atheist
(14-09-2016 02:45 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  So the big question. When we exit our lives I am wondering what my fellow brothers and sisters think about how they will think and feel if they are aware of the moments leading up to our eventual demise.

Ahh. Pascal's Wager.

So, padre, in the other thread you did the Atheism-Stalinism potato.

You brought up atheism and morality.

You used the atheism-religion angle.

And the worshiping science routine.

Now we get some Blaise.

Sooooo... What's next I wonder?

Watchmaker?

Irreducible complexity?

Evolution? (That would be interesting, given your professed love for science.)

I'll try to control my anticipation. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-09-2016, 07:48 PM
(14-09-2016 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 06:31 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I have known about inflexible thinking but I am really marveling ......

You are easily amazed. You should get out more.

It's that recto-cranial inversion. Fairly common among his ilk.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-09-2016, 09:41 PM
(14-09-2016 03:27 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I suppose I'll tell a dark secret. I tried to kill myself ; especially because in the moment of decision I just gambled that atheism was right. I made the wrong decision and I panicked when I was helpless to reverse the decision. Because I realized something was "there". It wasn't that easy escape and long story short I survived. Maybe an hallucination who knows.

Try harder next time.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
14-09-2016, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 10:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-09-2016 09:41 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:27 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I suppose I'll tell a dark secret. I tried to kill myself ; especially because in the moment of decision I just gambled that atheism was right. I made the wrong decision and I panicked when I was helpless to reverse the decision. Because I realized something was "there". It wasn't that easy escape and long story short I survived. Maybe an hallucination who knows.

Try harder next time.

I ain't buying it. And I'm hypersensitive to the subject. Far too casually mentioned in an off the cuff manner. I find it offensive to use it to justify an afterlife.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-09-2016, 11:47 PM
(14-09-2016 10:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 09:41 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Try harder next time.

I ain't buying it. And I'm hypersensitive to the subject. Far too casually mentioned in an off the cuff manner. I find it offensive to use it to justify an afterlife.

I'm not buying any of the shit that he's spewing out. Otherwise I wouldn't tell him to attempt suicide again.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
14-09-2016, 11:58 PM
(14-09-2016 11:47 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 10:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I ain't buying it. And I'm hypersensitive to the subject. Far too casually mentioned in an off the cuff manner. I find it offensive to use it to justify an afterlife.

I'm not buying any of the shit that he's spewing out. Otherwise I wouldn't tell him to attempt suicide again.

Yeah, I got that. I am actually deeply offended by what he did there. He trivialized suicide to escalate his trolling. I am not a fan of banning at all but if there was any post that would make me pull the trigger that would be the one. I'm not suggesting he be banned, I'm suggesting he burn in hell for all eternity.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-09-2016, 12:16 AM
(14-09-2016 03:38 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I do envy atheists not knowing. It's a sweet thing not to know in lots of ways. That's why I became one so I can enjoy the benefits.

No, what you are talking about is not "knowing" but "believing". But knowing your former christian background its understandable that you dont know that disctinction.
You know ,they had brainwashed you into thinking that "believing hard enough" = "knowing" so they can feed you with a lot of bullshit to believe (what they obviously did), and make you believe to know it.
Now, being an atheist after reading a science book, you arent bound to those restrictions anymore. You are free to tell now what you believe and what you know.
If you need furhter instructions on how to learn to make the distinctin between believing and knowing, please read the TTA manual, page 123, or attend a 4th grade school class (in case you arent well versed in reading, which is quite probable considering the course of your threads and posts).

P.S.: Have you made your mind up yet about stopping those nasty lying practices? Do you have any feedback so far about the results of being a decent human being for a change?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
15-09-2016, 01:41 AM
[Image: atheist-quote.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-09-2016, 07:19 AM
(15-09-2016 01:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: atheist-quote.jpg]

Funny, I did the opposite. You don't want to go into an after life to surrender your ass to a higher power than can put you in a very weak position.
15-09-2016, 07:37 AM
(14-09-2016 02:45 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  So the big question. When we exit our lives I am wondering what my fellow brothers and sisters think about how they will think and feel if they are aware of the moments leading up to our eventual demise.

I've been put under for operations before. Only, when it comes to dying I won't wake up again.

I've also had flu where I can really imagine just closing my eyes and never waking up again. Your perception is most likely going to be different on your death bed because you won't be a healthy young thing full of energy. You might also be in a lot pain. This means that you are more likely to accept it when it comes.

My biggest fear is whether living was worthwhile. Did I make the most of my time? Did I achieve what I set out to do? I'll know closer to the time, but this is what's continuing to drive me on. I know that this a first-world / fossil fuel age problem because throughout most of human history most people have just been trying to survive.

And with the way things are deteriorating fast for the human race, with peak-everything and climate change, anything we do with our lives might all be pointless.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post