Your (our) final moments as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2016, 12:38 PM
RE: Your (our) final moments as an atheist
(14-09-2016 06:31 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I have known about inflexible thinking but I am really marveling at how under intelligence and mentally rigid atheists really are. It's quite an eye opener to how less intelligent I expected.

I'm marvelling at how stupid are comments posted by a kid who's not yet reached puberty. Have the school holidays started where you live, and does your mommy know you're using her computer? Tsk, tsk.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
15-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Your (our) final moments as an atheist
If I'm in a car and see an oncoming truck flying at me yeah I'll be scared

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-09-2016, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 01:26 PM by Gloucester.)
Well, thinking of the disposal of my corporate entity: incinerate me, mix the ashes with one part sulphur and three parts saltpeter plus half a part magnesium powder to ten parts. Put that mixture in a cardboard tube with a stick attached, stand that upright in a bottle and stick a lighted match up its arse end!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
15-09-2016, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 03:19 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
All intelligent animals seem to have an instinct to survive, to wish to continue living. From an evolutionary point of view, the "why" of that is pretty obvious.

Humans have developed our intelligence to the point that we can think of ourselves as unique entities (there is some evidence that dolphins, sea lions, chimpanzees, gorillas, and a few other creatures do as well) and imagine our own deaths, and it is hardly surprising the lengths to which some will go to avoid the idea that they will cease to be.

It doesn't bother me. Part of living is dying. I've been stabbed, I've been through cancer, and been in many other situations where the very real possibility of imminent death was on my mind. At no point did I think of God or wish for an afterlife... rather, I was simply sad that I had not gotten more time to enjoy this life. And then I fought like hell to keep it.

Ricky Gervais said it very well:

Edit to Add: ST, if you really want to know how we view the world, seriously, listen to what Ricky Gervais says. It will explain why we're hostile to certain types of religious people, as well as what our actual motivations for life are, he really does nail it. I agree with him that injustice makes my blood boil, and it's why I am so furious that you try to equate us (and me) with a totalitarian regime that stands against everything in which I do believe.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-09-2016, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 05:37 PM by Sturm.)
The way I see it is that god was invented because humans have developed an intelligence that makes them aware and scared of their own mortality.
I grew up in an atheist family, I have never been to church, and was unaware of the idea of a god when I was a kid. I started to think about my own death when I was 8. My first thought wasn't to think "is there something else", my first thought was "ok, one day I will cease to exist". The idea that there is something else is mainly cultural. If my parents had taught me about god, afterlife and things like that, I would definitely have thought about it when I first thought about death. But what I mean, is that, those concepts are not natural, they are being taught, and passed from one generation to another because of education. Of course, at one point some humans created those concepts, but would there be as many people believing in god or afterlife if anybody was free to make his own idea when first thinking about his own mortality ?

Anyway : sure, I'm scared about my own death, the idea of leaving the people I love, but that doesn't mean I'm wishing for an afterlife. I totally agree with how Ricky Gervais explains this in the video, and the way the guy sums it up at 2:20.
My only disagreement is that I'm much less sympathetic to "spiritual people" for 2 reasons : a lot of them have the tendency to act as if they were "better", because they are "spiritual" (as if your beliefs make you a better person). And second, because, the fact that those "spiritual ideas" are regarded as less dangerous than religions is what makes them spread like a disease on social media. So now, somebody who hasn't made his own mind about afterlife is confronted with tons of articles that get 10000 shares, which push him/her to believe that there must be some kind of truth in that, otherwise other people wouldn't share them. So "spiritual","religious", I put that in the same basket.
[+] 3 users Like Sturm's post
15-09-2016, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 05:56 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
I'll probably be listening to all of my favorite music. No last words, I'm not going to try to be profound or anything.

15-09-2016, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 06:54 PM by Full Circle.)
(14-09-2016 02:45 PM)ScientificTruth321 Wrote:  I find it difficult getting around that part. Just thinking about that moment before our consciousness disappears. Llike just gone forever. It's kind of amazing in a way just to think on it but kind of scary.

That’s because you’re a pussy. Drinking Beverage
People like you need to suck their thumbs and hold on to their protective blanket because they simply don’t have the emotional and psychological strength to see life for what it is. I can understand that in six year olds, in adults it is pathetic and laughable.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
15-09-2016, 07:30 PM
More afraid of an afterlife than the end of existence, cause if there's a heaven I ain't getting in it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Thinking about my eventual death doesn't bother me in the slightest (though if it was staring me in the face right now and looked painful, I'd probably shit my pants). It's thinking about the death of people I care about that bothers me, since I have to continue on without them. Sucks.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
15-09-2016, 08:28 PM
(15-09-2016 07:30 PM)yakherder Wrote:  More afraid of an afterlife than the end of existence, cause if there's a heaven I ain't getting in it.

Take a pull on the Hell Horn for me, bro. I'd be there with you, if it was for real. Evil_monster