Your own "light at the end of the tunnel" experiences.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
RE: Your own "light at the end of the tunnel" experiences.
(31-08-2012 07:30 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I get tired of people telling me about how they "saw a man smiling" when they were unconscious and so logically this must be Jesus. Or that when I was on the verge of death, "I entered a very dark and cold place (that tends to happen when you're losing blood) and I knew it to be Hell."

These people fail to realize that the brain does some crazy shit without blood, oxygen, or when drugged up. I was wondering if any of you had any "out of body experiences" that would have been used as evidence if you were a Christian?

Here's some of mine.

When I was about 14ish, I got my tonsils out and while I was under anesthesia, I was floating above myself, and my body was floating through a big tunnel of energy in a white room with people in white standing all around. I'm not lying. So does that mean that I died while getting my tonsils out and saw heaven?

Another time was I was like 8, I opened the upstairs window and the huge ass air conditioner fell out, snapping the cord and landing in a bush outside. So out of sheer panic and terror of getting in trouble, my tiny self lifted this 150 pound beast (1980's AC units) that the adults of the house couldn't lift and carried it up 12 steps, back to my room. My parents were so impressed that I moved it myself that I didn't get in trouble. I was "filled with the strength of the Holy Spirit" you could say.

Also, I seem to be blessed. In Iraq, there were dozens of times when doing one thing and not the other would have gotten me killed. Turning right instead of left at the fork. Staying back off mission that night and the driver in my place gets killed. RPGs that didn't quite go where they were aimed. IEDs that didn't detonate like they were designed. You could say I had the grace of God if I wasn't a filthy atheist who spent my free time mocking the same God.

kind of like deja vu; most everyone has experienced the 'experience'

hence: 'are you experienced?'
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
(01-09-2012 08:41 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  kind of like deja vu; most everyone has experienced the 'experience'

Once when I was in college someone said something and I said that (the deja vu), but then I also remembered it happening and me saying deja vu, creating another one, and then I remembered all that, and remembering all that--to which the person I was with said "and I remember this happening too and you saying that!" I said "don't worry, if it happened before X will come around the corner about.....now! at that moment X walked around the corner and said "wow, deja vu!" We both decided to remember where we might have gone last time, and we split up and did something odd to get into the lunch room (it was 5 feet from us, we walked around to go in instead--we normally never went in there--so it's not like "it happened every day", it was unusual for us). We walked in sat down, changed seats "just in case" someone walked in and said "wow, deja vu!"

If it wasn't that we had gone to the lunch room maybe 5 times to this point and we'd been in school for about 1.5 years, it wouldn't have been as freaky.
01-09-2012, 12:14 PM
(01-09-2012 11:57 AM)elemts Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 08:41 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  kind of like deja vu; most everyone has experienced the 'experience'

Once when I was in college someone said something and I said that (the deja vu), but then I also remembered it happening and me saying deja vu, creating another one, and then I remembered all that, and remembering all that--to which the person I was with said "and I remember this happening too and you saying that!" I said "don't worry, if it happened before X will come around the corner about.....now! at that moment X walked around the corner and said "wow, deja vu!" We both decided to remember where we might have gone last time, and we split up and did something odd to get into the lunch room (it was 5 feet from us, we walked around to go in instead--we normally never went in there--so it's not like "it happened every day", it was unusual for us). We walked in sat down, changed seats "just in case" someone walked in and said "wow, deja vu!"

If it wasn't that we had gone to the lunch room maybe 5 times to this point and we'd been in school for about 1.5 years, it wouldn't have been as freaky.

Deja vus are the best, I used to have them in high school a lot, we have this cultural competition between schools in my town and I always had a deja vu the day before a number (dance, acting, music, you name it) and I said which place we would win, I never failed a prediction, except my own first place in the last year Wink

of course we were good and it was pretty easy to know what would happen, and the deja vu was caused by the lack of sleep... it was funny though

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
01-09-2012, 12:22 PM
(01-09-2012 08:16 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 07:39 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  You don't think an 8 year old can lift 150 pounds in a panic?
Yes. Whether in panic or not, you can't carry twice your own body weight at that age.

(01-09-2012 07:39 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Haven't you heard the news stories about mothers lifting cars and buses off their children?
No. Got any links?

(01-09-2012 07:39 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Mind you, I've always been the lifting type. I was doing benchpress competitions in Junior High and placing pretty high.
I hope you see the difference between benchpressing 150 pounds and carrying 150 pounds upstairs.

On a second thought, it looks like you're just kidding/fooling around.

It's mostly supported by anecdotal evidence at this point, which is regularly dismissed in this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_strength

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/extr...pped-child

Just consider if your mom was hanging from the edge of a 1000 foot cliff and you only had her by one hand. I don't care if you've never been to the gym in your life, you're going to pull her up.

...and carrying is much easier than benchpressing.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
01-09-2012, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 12:52 PM by Vosur.)
(01-09-2012 12:22 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It's mostly supported by anecdotal evidence at this point, which is regularly dismissed in this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_strength

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/extr...pped-child
Anecdotal evidence is dismissed for a good reason, which is that it's not reliable in any way. You should know that, considering that you've been around far longer than I have.

(01-09-2012 12:22 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Just consider if your mom was hanging from the edge of a 1000 foot cliff and you only had her by one hand. I don't care if you've never been to the gym in your life, you're going to pull her up.
And how do you know that? The situation can be as dangerous as you can imagine, you're not going to surpass your body's physical limitations.

(01-09-2012 12:22 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...and carrying is much easier than benchpressing.
No, not at all. Carrying a huge ass weight upstairs requires far more strength than benchpressing it once.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd like to add here that is not too far fetched to think of someone lifting more than can normally lift, in extreme circumstances usually we don't care for our own health and for a kid lifting 150 pounds is not away from the realm of possibility (it would probably hurt though). With that in mind, add adrenaline to the combo, someone could lift more than normal for a moment and suffer the pain later.
Also, time perception distorts in such situations, so the later description could make it sound like a mother was lifting a car for a few minutes when it was just a few seconds, which could explain how the muscle could do such a feat, just a burst of strength powered by urgency and adrenaline, not an awakened superpower...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
01-09-2012, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 03:37 PM by Marco Krieger.)
Beg your pardon, but how much Kilogramm made 150 pounds?

I am not sure, maybe it dosn't fit the thread, but i know for a fakt that people who
are mental disabled often have not the same control to there strength like "normal"
people do.
Its a matter of a disfunktion of neurotransmitters in the brain, they carring normaly incomming nerve impulses from the emitting point (cut in finger) to the recieving point (paincenter of the brain)
The person how have these disfunktion can break your rips by hugging you.
He didn't "feel" the pain in his muscles, nor he have the abillity to "read" your reaktion correctly.
Its observed by authists (several differend kinds of autistic-variations are known)
and by people who are brain-damaged by birth-complications in connection with oxygen-deprivation.

My brother-in-law was under the second condition.
He is death a few years now, but i accidently ask him once in a funmode to lift me up, therefore i can reach a faulty light-bulb on the ceiling.
He may weigh 60-70 and i am a fat guy by 120 kg, but he lifted me in an instand.
I can see him even now, he smiled and was so proud, not noticeing that he crashed my head on the ceiling and on the next day he was unable to leave the bed because of an severe muscle trauma.

At last, i never experienced a " light at the end of the tunnel" incident because i never had a livethreatening accident or a heavy OP in hospital.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
(01-09-2012 03:34 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Beg your pardon, but how much Kilogramm made 150 pounds?
150 pounds = 75 kilogram

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
(01-09-2012 03:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 03:34 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Beg your pardon, but how much Kilogramm made 150 pounds?
150 pounds = 75 kilogram

More like 68 kg.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 05:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
24 hours lying in a hospital bed with a burst appendix 'cause it was the weekend and my Doc couldn't be bothered to come in and the staff apparently was unable to fucking diagnose appendicitis in a 35 yo man. There's pain and then there's dying. Demerol, dilaudid, nothing touched it. Never saw God but I did see the abyss. I did not go gentle into that good night.

(01-09-2012 12:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 12:22 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...and carrying is much easier than benchpressing.
No, not at all. Carrying a huge ass weight upstairs requires far more strength than benchpressing it once.

Fireman's carry. I squat 2 100kg GirlyMan at the gym just as a workout. Pump my fatass full of adrenalin and I'm pretty sure I could carry at least 4 GirlyMan, maybe 6.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.