Your printer may be used to identify you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 05:18 AM
Your printer may be used to identify you
So I knew about printers having software that prevents them from copying money, but this is a whole new level of crazy.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/06/pr...-back-news

I just wonder how stuff like this actually ends up in consumer products. Are middleman software devs just given undocumented libraries to use when programming these devices, which come from anonymous sources at government agencies or or what? Like WTF. It reminds me of the Cube movies, where the designers of the cube were given tiny portions to work on, and none of them knew they were designing a torture device, or who was at the top requesting that the thing be built. Sorry for spoilers Tongue

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2017, 02:26 PM
RE: Your printer may be used to identify you
(07-06-2017 05:18 AM)cactus Wrote:  So I knew about printers having software that prevents them from copying money, but this is a whole new level of crazy.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/06/pr...-back-news

I just wonder how stuff like this actually ends up in consumer products. Are middleman software devs just given undocumented libraries to use when programming these devices, which come from anonymous sources at government agencies or or what? Like WTF. It reminds me of the Cube movies, where the designers of the cube were given tiny portions to work on, and none of them knew they were designing a torture device, or who was at the top requesting that the thing be built. Sorry for spoilers Tongue

It's been around for a long time. At least since 2004, and possibly as far back as the 1980s, for some printers.

Printer steganography

Do Household Printers Leave an Invisible Tracking Code on All Your Printed Documents?

But wait, there's more:

Van Eck Phreaking

Compromising Electromagnetic Emanations of Wired and Wireless Keyboards

Acoustic Snooping on Typed Information

If you want to keep your information secure, use pen and paper, deliver it in person, and instruct the recipient to eat it, once they've read it. Blink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
07-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Meh. If the government (or anyone else) is snooping into things that I've printed, they're going to be really bored. Nothing to see here, folks. I've never printed anything that would cause me problems if someone else sees it.
07-06-2017, 05:50 PM
I don't see how this is a bad thing.
I think almost everybody isn't going to be "using the printer for evil!!" so I don't know why anyone here would be in a position where forensic evidence is needed from your printer.
Obviously, it makes whistleblowers life harder (though, put it on a flashdrive and print elsewhere? is that possible?) but it's probably more helpful overall because it could help track criminals. Unless of course the government hasn't been using this in law enforcement and only uses it for the purpose of tracking down whistleblowers, then fuck the government.

Also, nothing says "what this person leaked is 100% accurate" like arresting said person.
07-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Orwell says "hello".
07-06-2017, 06:35 PM
What if I marry it? Then they cannot make it testify against me. Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
08-06-2017, 06:56 AM
Um... how can these dots "identify" me if they only represent the printer's serial number?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
08-06-2017, 08:35 AM
(08-06-2017 06:56 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Um... how can these dots "identify" me if they only represent the printer's serial number?

The same reason why YOU get the speeding ticket even though it was your car caught on camera, not YOU.