Your reasoning behind atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2012, 03:58 AM
Your reasoning behind atheism
Hello all, I am new to this forum.

I've read some of y'all's comments and it made me realize how different my rationalization is towards becoming an atheist.

I have always been an atheist since I was first introduced to the idea of God as a child. I thought the idea was preposterous but that was just how my mind was wired. I began to question why I am an atheist since I don't want to blindly accept it (just like those who thought the same about Christianity/Catholicism). I imagined a scenario where I am a completely blank slate and I must pick the first piece to begin building the structure of my beliefs. Essentially, I stumbled upon the situation like a fork in the road. One route is the belief in God and the other atheism. They are equal paths and I can easily be lead to either by the simple idea that I simply cannot know with absolute certainty about the existence or nonexistence of God/gods. So I picked the path that I could more easily make sense of and can live with, which was atheism. I acknowledge that it is that fork in the road that lead me to where I am today not some arrogant (not trying to label anyone else as such) reasoning about the absurdity of the Bible. A lengthy conversion with one of my best friends (a devout Christian) made me understand that the core logic of the religion is, in its own merit, legitimate. I understood why he's a Christian and did not question it, but it did not appeal with how my logic works.

I have accepted that I am an atheist by luck/chance due to how my mind analyze the information at that fork. Another person could easily have interpreted it different. So I fell into the dilemma that I haven't truly answered my question since I still "blindly" accept atheism but I am okay with it because that's the road that I fell into and I will see it til the end. My logic functions on basic epistemology and I can't be sure about Christianity or atheism.

Sorry if I could not explain it more clearly, and I understand that most of you will not identify with my justification.

But I also like to know how some of you reasoned with atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dxnguyen89's post
07-05-2012, 04:41 AM
RE: Your reasoning behind atheism
I'm curious, what part of this "core logic" of religion do you find logical and legitimate? How would you define it and why would you see it as logical or reasonable to believe in something you have no evidence for?
07-05-2012, 04:42 AM
(07-05-2012 03:58 AM)dxnguyen89 Wrote:  Hello all, I am new to this forum.

I've read some of y'all's comments and it made me realize how different my rationalization is towards becoming an atheist.

I have always been an atheist since I was first introduced to the idea of God as a child. I thought the idea was preposterous but that was just how my mind was wired. I began to question why I am an atheist since I don't want to blindly accept it (just like those who thought the same about Christianity/Catholicism). I imagined a scenario where I am a completely blank slate and I must pick the first piece to begin building the structure of my beliefs. Essentially, I stumbled upon the situation like a fork in the road. One route is the belief in God and the other atheism. They are equal paths and I can easily be lead to either by the simple idea that I simply cannot know with absolute certainty about the existence or nonexistence of God/gods. So I picked the path that I could more easily make sense of and can live with, which was atheism. I acknowledge that it is that fork in the road that lead me to where I am today not some arrogant (not trying to label anyone else as such) reasoning about the absurdity of the Bible. A lengthy conversion with one of my best friends (a devout Christian) made me understand that the core logic of the religion is, in its own merit, legitimate. I understood why he's a Christian and did not question it, but it did not appeal with how my logic works.

I have accepted that I am an atheist by luck/chance due to how my mind analyze the information at that fork. Another person could easily have interpreted it different. So I fell into the dilemma that I haven't truly answered my question since I still "blindly" accept atheism but I am okay with it because that's the road that I fell into and I will see it til the end. My logic functions on basic epistemology and I can't be sure about Christianity or atheism.

Sorry if I could not explain it more clearly, and I understand that most of you will not identify with my justification.

It's quite true that the reasoning behind Christianity (or any religion) could appeal to you and be true on its own merits, but do you want to give every religion the benefit of its own doubt? Some of us value rationality and logic, and the logical stance --- when faced with two decisions that don't compel you one way or the other --- is skepticism. Skepticism is a non-answer, a way of saying "I don't have sufficient information or the information that I have doesn't tell me enough to make a choice".

Many of us are skeptical atheists. We don't say "no god or gods exist" because, as many scientists and philosophers have made clear, you can't prove that. It's what's known as a "negative argument", and you can't prove a negative. Try proving that Zeus, for example, doesn't exist. There's good reason to be skeptical of his existence, but any argument that you make about Zeus (he doesn't interact with us) can be explained away by an apologist for Zeus (his ways are mysterious, though visible if you presuppose that Zeus exists and you look for his acts).

You don't have to believe that the bible is absurd or believe that you have proof of God's non-existence to be an atheist --- these are false dilemmas. It's also a false dilemma to suggest that it has to be either Christianity or atheism. There are any number of beliefs you can choose, but until they have compelling evidence, non-belief is the rational stance.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2012, 04:55 AM

I say... go with your instincts.
I did.

I remember being, maybe 6 or 7 years old, in church at the end of a pew and being commanded to kneel in prayer and thinking "why is everyone doing this... what will happen if I don't? What will happen if I don't shut my eyes and mouth the words like everyone else?"

Of course, nothing happened except I gained some knowledge / wisdom.

Later, aged 14 or so, I went to a church group holiday (a bit like camp in the US) but only so I didn't have to spend a summer with my parents. I enjoyed the nonsense but as an observer and some of the girls were "playful" so again I gained some knowledge. But even though I tried, I didn't find that elusive holy spirit.

Later, aged 16 ish, I actually did what none of the other kids had done... I read the bible.

Nuff said, done deal, no turning back.

It's always good to test your lack of faith.... Many years later a colleague asked me to go to church with her on the pretext that I like deep and meaning foreign movies and they were going to show one.
It was a great test in self-control... trying not to laugh out loud. The young trendy facilitator / preacher likened christ's journey to the journey of Frodo Baggins (for the kiddies, I guess) and cleverly highlighted some stages that both went through and similarly the film we had just seen.

After, my friend asked my what I wrote on the comments form we all filled in. I said I wrote "Thank you for making it so obvious to everyone that the bible must have been a work of fiction and explaining why Jews write the best Hollywood film scripts".

07-05-2012, 05:39 AM
me: something something god something
friend: you believe in god?
me: yea why?
friend: dude it's all horseshit, think about it
me: oh damn i bet you are right

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
[+] 1 user Likes dredmal's post
07-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Why is it arrogant to think that the bible is absurd?
I wonder, do you also find it arrogant to believe that homeopathy, astrology, and ghost-busting is absurd?
So is any sort of scepticism is arrogant, or just scepticism that challenges the religion that most Americans believe in?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
07-05-2012, 07:54 AM

If I had to pick a few things that got me to bridge the gap from theism to atheism they would be:
1) The fact that the scientific method and theism don't mix, no matter how hard some try to make it so
2) When I was introduced to the idea that agnosticism deals with knowledge (e.g. I know/don't know that god exists) and atheism deals with belief (e.g. I believe/don't believe that god exists)
3) When I watched "The Atheist Tapes" and realized that not believing in god didn't take away those sublime "it" moments that I treasure so much

Note, in order to reach the point where these reasons could help me bridge the gap, I had to drop any and all belief in anthropomorphic god concepts (e.g. god somehow has human characteristics and emotions) like the ones offered up by Christianity. Not trying to be condescending or anything, but in my personal path, those belief systems were akin to pre-K material. Easy to digest but utterly and completely divorced from reality. Sort of like Old MacDonald and the tooth fairy.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I think what your trying to say is, everyone's mind is different. Because of the way you are, your mind sees religion as rubbish and illogical, but someone else's mind, might see religion as making perfect sense. So it's impossible to know whether or not a god exists, because things that you might see as crazy, might seem perfectly normal to someone else. I feel the same way too.

Wait a minute, I think in agnostic...
[+] 2 users Like Magoo's post
07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Until sufficent, Non anecdotal, Tesable evidence comes foward for the existance of any gods I can not and will not believe in such foolish ideas.
07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Haven't worried about it since I was 10, not going to worry about it now. It just makes no sense to me.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man