Your reasoning behind atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
RE: Your reasoning behind atheism
The decision whether you're a theist or an atheist is based on the concept of faith.

Since God cannot be empirically proved or disproved, a personal takes the evidence in their life and forms a belief based on partial evidence (as full evidence can never be accomplished as that would require omniscience).

I think the reasoning behind any belief is how you interpret faith combined with the evidence presented to you.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-05-2012, 10:13 AM
(07-05-2012 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The decision whether you're a theist or an atheist is based on the concept of faith.

Since God cannot be empirically proved or disproved, a personal takes the evidence in their life and forms a belief based on partial evidence (as full evidence can never be accomplished as that would require omniscience).

I think the reasoning behind any belief is how you interpret faith combined with the evidence presented to you.

You grossly misunderstand what atheism means. Faith is the abasence of evidence hence why it is faith.

faith

noun
confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith
07-05-2012, 10:53 AM
(07-05-2012 10:13 AM)angry-santa Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The decision whether you're a theist or an atheist is based on the concept of faith.

You grossly misunderstand what atheism means. Faith is the abasence of evidence hence why it is faith.

faith

noun
confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith
So, you can prove definitively, without a shadow of a doubt, absolutely, without question, with 100% total conviction that there is not, was never, or can never be a God/gods?

If you answered "no" to this question, then you have faith in your atheism. You believe in atheism because of where the evidence points your faith.

If you answered "yes" to the question, you're lying.

07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
(07-05-2012 10:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, you can prove definitively, without a shadow of a doubt, absolutely, without question, with 100% total conviction that there is not, was never, or can never be a God/gods?

If you answered "no" to this question, then you have faith in your atheism. You believe in atheism because of where the evidence points your faith.

I don't see "your reasoning behind theism" in the thread title, so why u here? Tongue

I kan answer "yes" to the question 'cause my Gwynnies is unknowable; and anything less ain't god. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-05-2012, 11:08 AM
(07-05-2012 11:05 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 10:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, you can prove definitively, without a shadow of a doubt, absolutely, without question, with 100% total conviction that there is not, was never, or can never be a God/gods?

I don't see "your reasoning behind theism" in the thread title, so why u here? Tongue

I kan answer "yes" to the question 'cause my Gwynnies is unknowable; and anything less ain't god. Tongue
Gwynnies don't count. They transcend all.

Also, I gave a "reasoning". Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
(07-05-2012 11:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, I gave a "reasoning". Thumbsup

Yeah, I kant really give you shit about faith. Without alla words, we seem to be working from the same source code. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
He just took issue with your use of the word faith. In using those many words the atheist is one without them in the construct of theism. That I say there is no god makes no serious claim as saying there is one does. My statement is readily observable and I can give good reasons within the basic claims as to why. Certainty does not force me to say something else as long as I'm not declaring there must not be a god. It's semantical issues such as the difference between saying there are no unicorns and unicorns can't exist. The claims are vastly different while appearing the same.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
07-05-2012, 11:54 AM
(07-05-2012 11:46 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  It's semantical issues such as the difference between saying there are no unicorns and unicorns can't exist. The claims are vastly different while appearing the same.
One is based on evidence and one is based on proof. Since definitive proof is impossible, it requires faith.

07-05-2012, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 12:10 PM by Justin.)
My path towards enlightenment began in 4th grade of Catholic school, when I was finally able to start calling out contradictions in the Bible, and contradictions with what the nuns and priests were telling me about the Catholic church. The fact that I was beaten for my questions instead of given answers told me all I needed to know about the lies being forced upon me. I refused confirmation, right in the middle of the mass, leading to another round of whippings from the clergy. I was finally yanked from Catholic school when a drunk priest decided I was standing too close to him during a mass (I was an altar boy) and put me in my place by shoving me down the steps, with that giant 15 pound book on top of me.

The rest is history.

For years I wrestled with "well, maybe there is something," and called myself agnostic, but I finally shed that label for the truth in my mid 20's. I'm an atheist, period. If yahweh himself appeared before me and said "see, I'm real," I'd ask for ID. Then I'd ask him what make him think he is deserving of my adoration and worship, if what the bible says is true.

Justin

"What religion am I? Well, I'm a practicing none of your ******* business." Ron Swanson
[+] 1 user Likes Justin's post
07-05-2012, 12:08 PM
It doesn't require faith to simply ignore the issue. If no compelling evidence exits then you have two options choose to believe or don't believe. It's the same as a court trial. If someone accused of murder is not convicted it doesn't necessarily confirm that the members of the jury believe he was innocent. It simply confirms that they did not believe there was enough evidence to convict him. The stance of abstaining is in no way a hard lined stance.

Atheism can be excessively hard lined, but the basic stance that exists is simply that of doubt. To have faith there must be something you seek to prove.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.