Your reasoning behind atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 06:50 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Your reasoning behind atheism
(07-05-2012 03:58 AM)dxnguyen89 Wrote:  I imagined a scenario where I am a completely blank slate and I must pick the first piece to begin building the structure of my beliefs.

Not so fast there.

1. You are not now, nor ever will be a "blank slate". You will always have countless unexamined assumptions, which it might be wise to examine. A "blank slate" is impossible. If you were a "blank slate" you would not even be thinking about the question. Why is the question important enough to waste time over ? Blank slates go to the mall, instead.

2. Why a "fork". Just by defining the question in those terms, you have already determined the outcome, (more or less).

3. How did you come to the conclusion they are "equal paths". What if they aren't ? What if there IS a god ? Then they certainly are NOT equal. How did you decide, if there was a god, you would want to "please" him. Why not "side with devil" ?

4. Why is "picking the path that makes sense" the best path ? If the universe is not intuitive, (Relativity), maybe things that "make sense" are not to be trusted ?

5. Reasoning about the absurdity of religion is not arrogant. Why do you have an anti-intellectual bias. THAT'S not a "blank slate".

6. There is no "core logic" in religion. Lots of "core ignorance". Faith is not about logic. Why is logic even valuable ? The MOST a believer can do or say, is "I know faith is illogical, but I choose to stand in the "Cloud of the Unknowing", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_of_Unknowing , or The Dark Night of the Soul , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Night_of_the_Soul , (John of the Cross). The only question which remains, is why is that choice made ? I could never make it, but have the utmost respect for those that do, AFTER they make an informed decision. Almost no one does.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I started questioning religion from a young age and ended up at the realisation that the concept of a god or gods is man made.

And while many here shy away from saying it, I am happy to say that I know there is no god, just as I am happy to say that I know there are no unicorns or easter bunnies! Yes
09-05-2012, 06:09 PM
(09-05-2012 03:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 03:39 PM)angry-santa Wrote:  Yes, at least when people make specific claims that god is doing "x" thing I can.
That's not what I asked.
You asked if I can prove/disprove god and I replied that it hinges on what people attribute god to.

Example God Exists because he makes rain, We know what causes rain and so we can rule god out for that one.

This goes on and on until we have a evidence based explanation for everything around us and IMO we do, We can then say well god was none of those things and so he must not exist.

I"m sure i'll get some mumbo jumbo unimaginable, inconceivable line.
09-05-2012, 09:31 PM
(09-05-2012 09:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 09:39 AM)angry-santa Wrote:  To answer KING, It just seems like you can't mention the word atheism without the word faith.

KC I define it less as belief and more, For me any way, As reality as I understand it based on the evidence I am presented with.
Fair enough.

I understand that line of thinking, but a neutral or a lack of a belief doesn't negate the fact that that belief does exist or has the potential to exist.

Like I said, absolute proof is impossible. Evidence is how we form beliefs and opinions, but despite strong evidence, or even overwhelming evidence, there is still no absolute.

You have faith in the evidence that is presented to you that it is accurate and overwhelming; therefore, you have your belief.

You have faith that a God/gods cannot exist based on evidence; not proof. Since nothing can be proved 100% true (due to infinite different possibilities), it is by faith that all beliefs are formed.

Does that make sense?
You're failing to account for entire civilizations of homo sapiens sapiens that lived thousands of years without ever even conjuring up the idea of "god" (in fact, some didn't even have such a word in their vocabulary).

When viewed through this lens, it becomes clear that theism is the acceptance of a man-made idea as representative of objective reality whereas atheism is the recognition that god is a man-made idea.

Sort of like how I'm an asantaclausist. I'm not basing this on faith. I'm simply recognizing that Santa Claus was a man-made idea that some humans think is real (I also recognize that for many people, the idea of Santa Claus is never introduced and/or never occurs to them).

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
10-05-2012, 12:27 AM
(09-05-2012 09:31 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 09:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Fair enough.

I understand that line of thinking, but a neutral or a lack of a belief doesn't negate the fact that that belief does exist or has the potential to exist.

Like I said, absolute proof is impossible. Evidence is how we form beliefs and opinions, but despite strong evidence, or even overwhelming evidence, there is still no absolute.

You have faith in the evidence that is presented to you that it is accurate and overwhelming; therefore, you have your belief.

You have faith that a God/gods cannot exist based on evidence; not proof. Since nothing can be proved 100% true (due to infinite different possibilities), it is by faith that all beliefs are formed.

Does that make sense?
You're failing to account for entire civilizations of homo sapiens sapiens that lived thousands of years without ever even conjuring up the idea of "god" (in fact, some didn't even have such a word in their vocabulary).

When viewed through this lens, it becomes clear that theism is the acceptance of a man-made idea as representative of objective reality whereas atheism is the recognition that god is a man-made idea.

Sort of like how I'm an asantaclausist. I'm not basing this on faith. I'm simply recognizing that Santa Claus was a man-made idea that some humans think is real (I also recognize that for many people, the idea of Santa Claus is never introduced and/or never occurs to them).
And that is why I reward you with extra gifts. Big Grin
10-05-2012, 08:31 PM
KC wrote: And, this brings us back to the invalidity of question, "Can you prove that God does/doesn't exist."
I like this question. It seems like an impossible question to answer, but it is more easily answered than you may think.

It is irrational to believe something is true if no evidence exists to support the belief.
It is rational to believe something in not true if no evidence exists to support the belief.
What we have is an irrational claim versus a rational claim.
It is rational to believe that God does not exist, even though he may exist.
It is irrational to believe that God exists, even though he may exist.
We must accept one simple rule for the belief in the existence of anything.
We must base our beliefs on rationality.
If you deny to base your beliefs on rationality, then what do we possibly have to discuss?

Considering the original question: Your reasoning behind atheism
There you have it.
Atheism is simply the reasonable assumption that God does not exist based on lack of any evidence to support the claim.
I don't see where any argument can expand from that point.
I certainly don't see any reason to commit money, time, or effort into worshiping such an entity.

Soooooooooooooooooo...........
It is irrational to go to church and give them money. Give it to the poor.
It is irrational and harmful to teach your children that these mythological stories are true.
It is just plan embarrassing as an adult to say that you believe in a god at this point in human evolution and understanding.
Sorry if I offend any Christian sensibilities, but for fuck sake just drop this crazy senseless belief and stop torturing your children and start living up to your human potential. Take care of your fellow human beings and stop pretending that god will make up for their suffering.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
10-05-2012, 08:37 PM
(10-05-2012 08:31 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We must base our beliefs on rationality.

What's this we shit? I'm atheistic about your atheism. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-05-2012, 08:55 PM
(10-05-2012 08:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 08:31 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We must base our beliefs on rationality.

What's this we shit? I'm atheistic about your atheism. Big Grin
As you should be. That would only be reasonable.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
10-05-2012, 08:55 PM
(07-05-2012 09:00 AM)angry-santa Wrote:  Until sufficent, Non anecdotal, Tesable evidence comes foward for the existance of any gods I can not and will not believe in such foolish ideas.
Why are ideas foolish because they are untestable?

Science is very good at pragmatic things, but no real panacea.
Wink

If we go beyond the confines of secular boxes (and this doesn't mean accepting any religion)
we can open many newer doors while needing to be very careful.

10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
(10-05-2012 08:55 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 09:00 AM)angry-santa Wrote:  Until sufficent, Non anecdotal, Tesable evidence comes foward for the existance of any gods I can not and will not believe in such foolish ideas.
Why are ideas foolish because they are untestable?
[/font][font=Comic Sans MS]
Because we have a preponderance of evidence and historical record that shows just how foolish (and dangerous) untestable ideas can be.

And on the flipside, we have a preponderance of evidence and historical record that shows how effective it is to posit ideas that are testable and then test them to see if they work and/or reflect objective physical reality.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post