Your religion is full of lies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2015, 08:28 AM
RE: Your religion is full of lies
(04-01-2015 09:59 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  What are your favorite lies about any of the religions ?
  • God's wisdom is better than ours. If the Bible doesn't make sense, it's your fault.
  • There is an invisible, cosmic deceiver spreading lies. If the Bible doesn't make sense, you've been deceived. If someone raises a hard-to-answer question, they're deceiving you on part of The Deceiver.
  • God works in mysterious ways. Don't worry if the Bible doesn't make sense.
  • The Bible is a historical document and should be taken seriously.
  • Non-believers know God exists and willingly turn away from him. They deserve to go to hell, no matter how sympathetic their story sounds.
  • Everyone receives the Holy Spirit in an undeniable way, and if they deny it (WTF?), it's their fault and they deserve hell. No, it doesn't matter if they were raised Muslim in Saudi Arabia; it's still their fault.
  • The Bible has a 100% success rate on prophesies and this is how we know it's true.
  • Other religions can be proven wrong but the Bible cannot be.
Basically, anything that faps to the whole nonfalsifiability of the religion and tries to shift the burden of proof or make people blindly accept it.

(04-01-2015 11:18 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  "Kids under ten don't go to hell if they die."

I know for it to be a lie you kind of have to assume hell is an actual thing, but it's not in their book, so it just screams "Making up whatever the hell we want for the sole purpose of making us feel better so we don't need to accept the absolutely horrible implications of our religion!".

I was reading an apologetic group on Facebook where people were arguing about this. One Calvinist was pointing out that the notion is strictly unbiblical and God can send kids to heaven or hell as he pleases, but there is no hard fast rule for an age where he will always send them to heaven.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-01-2015, 09:00 AM
(05-01-2015 08:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 11:18 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  "Kids under ten don't go to hell if they die."

I know for it to be a lie you kind of have to assume hell is an actual thing, but it's not in their book, so it just screams "Making up whatever the hell we want for the sole purpose of making us feel better so we don't need to accept the absolutely horrible implications of our religion!".

I was reading an apologetic group on Facebook where people were arguing about this. One Calvinist was pointing out that the notion is strictly unbiblical and God can send kids to heaven or hell as he pleases, but there is no hard fast rule for an age where he will always send them to heaven.

As a kid my parents often brought up Limbo for unbabtized children when I started asking exploratory questions about Catholicism

“Because children below the age of reason did not commit actual sin, theologians came to the common view that these unbaptized children feel no pain at all or even that they enjoy a full, though only natural, happiness through their mediated union with God in all natural goods (Thomas Aquinas, Duns Scotus)”

“As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God,...”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo

Just look at how much thought has to go into creating this apology to square with a benevolent god.

Fuck all this shit, really. You might as well say that unless you spin counter-clockwise three times saying Bugitty Bugitty Bugitty the Lord Master of the Universe is going to shit on you for all eternity even though you died at childbirth Facepalm

Who has a reason to come up with all this nonsense?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-01-2015, 09:46 AM
No more Bozo?

Every time one of these umm, clowns, receives the ban hammer, I am both filled with joy and sadness. I'm glad that they are no longer given the privilege to post stupid things on here, but I am sad that we'll no longer be awe struck at just how stupid they are.
05-01-2015, 10:52 AM
(05-01-2015 09:46 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  No more Bozo?

Every time one of these umm, clowns, receives the ban hammer, I am both filled with joy and sadness. I'm glad that they are no longer given the privilege to post stupid things on here, but I am sad that we'll no longer be awe struck at just how stupid they are.

We could have a "Best(worst) of" thread. But what is annoying is the disappearance of their Rep. There is so much truth and transcendent poetry in their Rep comments.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-01-2015, 12:24 PM
It's not a religion, it's a relationship. My favorite lie.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-01-2015, 05:52 PM
(05-01-2015 12:24 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  It's not a religion, it's a relationship. My favorite lie.

I tell the ladies the exact opposite so they can worship this dick! Bowing
06-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Even your basic prayer before a meal.
"We want to thank you for this food"

Hold up, your god had nothing to do with this.
The vegetables were raised in my garden.
I cultivated them, picked them, prepared them, cooked them and now you're about to eat them.

You need to acknowledge the truth about where this food comes from and stop lying to yourself

I don't need any praise for cooking a meal and I don't need some figment of your imagination taking credit for it either.

When you come home from school with great grades, do you see me praising a 6ft tall rabbit instead of you ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)
Quote:Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-01-2015, 09:52 AM
I suppose we have to include the perennial favorite of Psalms 14:1 -The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition