Your responses to religious door knocking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 10:21 AM
RE: Your responses to religious door knocking
There hasn't been much door knocking in my city since I was just a kid. Guess too many people got either yelled at or punched in the face.
When I was younger two nicely dressed people came to my door and against my better judgement I answered.
After a rather infuriating argument with them hey left in a huff. Never to return.

Now we get the sneak tactics where they accidentally leave pamphlets all over the place. Even inside of kids library books. Good times.

I don't feel like being a militant atheist anymore even though I really dislike organized religion but one thing I would still like to do is counter pamphlets. Leave them in churches and what have you so they get upset and I can whip out the hypocrite card.

I'd knock on doors but that's just annoying and Christians aren't usually the most accepting people so I'd likely get into a scuffle or two before the day was done.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
31-03-2012, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 11:51 AM by ghostexorcist.)
I've personally only had one experience like this. Unfortunately for them it was when I was a teenager. I was hanging out with my friend in his garage when we noticed two smartly dressed guys walking door to door that Saturday morning. You could tell that the neighborhood was not receptive to them because the guys looked like they were playing "leap frog" with the houses. Anyways, I knew that they would soon descend upon us, so I told my friend to find some baby powder and some razor blades (I'm sure you can see where this is going). We poured some out on a mirror and used the razor blades to cut it into thin rows. We then put some of the powder under our noses and patted some on our shirts. When the guys came up to the garage (it was open), we started to act like we were having us a good ol' fashioned coke party. One of the guys walked up and started to say something, but when we looked up at him with "crazy eyes," he said: "I can see you are busy," and then walked away.

I think nowadays I would just say I am not interested and shut the door.

My step-dad is an agnostic with atheistic leanings. He would invite the people in and talk with them for hours at our house. Coming to the house was a feat in itself since we lived out in the boonies, at the end of a very dangerous road, which lined a cliff, but had no guard rail. They came back week after week, and he would continually ask them question after question, many of which seemed to stump or noticeably perturb them. They eventually stopped coming back--I guess the trip wasn't worth it if my step-dad made them question their own faith!
31-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Many moons ago my husband had a young Boa Restrictor as pet. These guys like warmth and will sit still in any warm spot for a long time. Now, I had lost the belt to my bath robe. So I got into the habit of using the snake as belt, just wrapped her around my waist and she loved the warmth and just stayed there.

Well, the jehova's witnesses came a'knocking. I opened the door in my bath robe, I had all forgotten about the snake. There were parents with 2 kids. Everyone was speechless and stared at my mid section. There was Bo, trying to figure out who was there and sticking head and tongue out towards them.

For what seemed like a long time no one said a word. Then I said:"Don't come here again" and closed the door. They never came back.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Dom's post
31-03-2012, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 12:19 PM by justmetoo.)
I remember when I was 6-7 and had to go out on a Saturday to do what Jehovah's Witnesses call Service Work. That's walking around, bothering people on a Saturday morning. We were at this person's house and we were all standing in the front yard. I was watching a dog come up to us, because I'm the biggest pet lover, you will ever know. I wanted to pet the thing and I watched him walk right up beside my mom. Lift his leg and piss all over her.

I was shocked and a little amused. I'm more amused today, now that I remember it. lol

(31-03-2012 10:21 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I really dislike organized religion
I despise organized religion. I was drowned in JW until the time I finally made the decision to run and leave it behind. I tried dabbling in it for a while, but nothing ever worked. It was like something I couldn't put my finger on wasn't there. Now that I've found Atheism, things are starting to come together, and all the B.S. I've been told about such people was complete and total B.S.
[+] 3 users Like justmetoo's post
31-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Dom that's just wonderful! I am grinning from one to the other ear Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
31-03-2012, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 08:12 PM by Anjele.)
Awesome Dom!

Many years ago...early 80s I guess my dad was redoing a room at their house and part of that included a closet where he had been collecting Playboys for I don't know how long. We stopped by the house and dad gave this stack of magazines to my first husband.

When we got home he set them on the big old desk near the front door. We were living on my grandparents' farm at the time. The next morning there was a knock on the door, which was unusual being out in the country on a dead end road. I answered to find two JW women and two kids standing in the rain. I asked them in, they stepped just inside the door out of the weather.

As one began her routine the other one kept looking behind her and looking back with wide eyes. One of the kids near her looked back and the woman all but put her hands over the kid's eyes. I was watching her twitch and look more and more uncomfortable until she finally got the other woman's attention then cast her gaze back at the stack of Playboys. They left on their own and didn't ever come back.

I guess they thought we were beyond saving.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
31-03-2012, 01:58 PM
It really annoys me when they bring kids. I have learned over the years to just be rude when someone gets on my nerves such as JW or sales calls on the phone etc.

But there you are staring into those bright young eyes. It makes you think twice about being rude, but I have decided that the kids may as well learn that a lot of people (not just atheists) don't like being bothered in their homes and don't care to discuss their religion with JW. So now I am indiscriminately rude, kids or no kids.

What kind of people are these, exposing their children to this?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-03-2012, 02:19 PM
It's all part of the indoctrination...but I also hate it when they show up with a child. I think they know people will most likely temper what they say in front of a kid.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
31-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Dom that was brilliant. Thumbsup

Has anyone else done something just to mess with them? I'm looking for some ideas.

Ive thought about grabbing my Gospel of the flying spaghetti monster and seeing if they are interested in a conversion to Pastafarianism, just to see how they would react. Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
31-03-2012, 07:02 PM
(31-03-2012 02:41 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Dom that was brilliant. Thumbsup

Has anyone else done something just to mess with them? I'm looking for some ideas.

Ive thought about grabbing my Gospel of the flying spaghetti monster and seeing if they are interested in a conversion to Pastafarianism, just to see how they would react. Big Grin
I remember a few years back there was a huge uproar (I think it was in Sydney) about two JW's that had been asked in to a young man's apartment and they had been served a cup of tea and biscuits but they weren't just biscuits, they were hash cookies!! Yes
For whoever doesn't know, it takes an hour or so for them to take effect. They would've had a very interesting afternoon, I'd say Big Grin
The JW's tried to press charges against the guy but I think, in the end, the charges were dropped. They said they thought they were going to die! Yeh, right No
Most of the people I talked to, after the event, thought it was freakin hilarious.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)