Your responses to religious door knocking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 08:29 AM
RE: Your responses to religious door knocking
(30-03-2012 09:05 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  I'd hire a midget to go out and hump their leg.

That's just soooo bad!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 08:42 AM
(09-08-2012 08:23 AM)elemts Wrote:  Last time I had people visit my door was when I had surgery last month and the Mormons knocked on the door and came in the room. I was so out of it, but I was able to read in small print "Church of Latter-Day Saints" in small print on their name badges. I just looked at them like "really? you come into patients rooms who are on morphine to see how they are?" I was too busy trying to see who they were, even though when I looked up and saw two "men" in nice clothing I instantly thought "great, Mormons". Granted my surgeon (and the other main surgeon) are Mormon, but still I wondered why they, of all the ministers and churches in the town that have space in the hospital, decided to come to my room. It's not like they ever asked my religion at the hospital or anything.

They left in a short while after my mother talked to them. I just sat there staring.

Never had that problem here in Singapore but did once get stopped in the street. I was living in a Chinese heartland area and this young, white guy in nice suit approached me... I think I was the only other whitey he had seen that day. He started his spiel and I interrupted with: "I'm sorry but I think someone has been lying to you" and gave him a look which made him thank me and move on.

I did get JWs door-knocking back in the UK. They usually started with describing how fucked up the world is today so I'd hit them with stats about how crap life used to be before the NHS etc etc. If they moved on the tell me about their beliefs I would do the same by quoting from the Silmarillion or whatever mythology caught my imagination.

Rarely did they get the point but rarely too did they return.

09-08-2012, 12:16 PM
(09-08-2012 08:29 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The last time I got visited by Jehova's Witnesses was 8 years ago. We asked them politely to never visit us again and rejected their offers of attending at a Bible study course. They accepted it and so far, they kept their promise of never coming to our house again.

And what fun is that? Sadcryface

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm thinking of framing and hanging this near my front door, with an adjacent sign fending off solicitation of any sort.
[Image: MGG-Jehovah.gif]
The door knockers are getting out of hand -I just don't answer. Friends, family, and anyone I'm expecting, know to go to the back door - I rarely use the front door anymore. I do sit on my porch some evenings... I don't think I've had to fend anyone off. I think they must know not to mess with sunset. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-08-2012, 02:44 PM
(09-08-2012 01:14 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm thinking of framing and hanging this near my front door, with an adjacent sign fending off solicitation of any sort.
[Image: MGG-Jehovah.gif]
The door knockers are getting out of hand -I just don't answer. Friends, family, and anyone I'm expecting, know to go to the back door - I rarely use the front door anymore. I do sit on my porch some evenings... I don't think I've had to fend anyone off. I think they must know not to mess with sunset. Shy

Or is it the shotgun across your lap? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-08-2012, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 07:32 PM by Free Thought.)
Door Knockers? In my part of Aus we call them Bible Bashers.

Anyway, I don't get many bible Bashers knocking on my door. (I would love too though, have a discussion out side of the Internet!)
But I do recall a visit from a year or two ago. Two nice young women came knocking, (I believe they were Seven Day Adventists, my memory about such unimportant things is bad.) anyway, being the young, polite male I am, I let them discuss and hand me their pamphlets, eventually as they left after inviting me to their church, they said they'd come back to check two weeks later. Naturally I said yes, I shut the door after watching them walk away a little (they looked good, don't judge me!), my brother walked up and said; "You remember we're moving in a few days, right?"

(Might not be exactly on topic, but I figured it was a tale worth telling.)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
10-08-2012, 11:04 PM
I've yet to purchase a house. We hope to do this within the next few years. And I do expect the religious types to show up at some point.

For Mormons, I'll probably say, "Your magic underwear is showing..." and close the door.

For Jehovah's Witnesses, I'll say, "I'm an apostate. You're not supposed to talk to me..." and close the door.
[+] 1 user Likes SlipStitch's post
10-08-2012, 11:44 PM
About 20 years ago when I was in my early 20 and living with friends in a student flat, we had a pet Jehova's Witness. A guy in his early 20's, who we invited in and talked to. We explained we were varying degrees of agnostic and atheists, but none the less wanted to here what he had to say. This guy, was smart, witty, tolerant and polite. Over the period of around a year and a half, during which he'd visit and we'd all talk for an hour or two we discussed religion, polotics, philosophy, current affairs, TV and a host of other things. He didnt change our minds, we did'nt change his. After the first month or so, the whole issue of conversion wasnt even an issue, he respected that we didnt and we respected that he did believe. The whole expierance was a posative one for all parties.

We also had some Mormons for a while, but they double teamed it, there was one young guy and a middle aged guy, in the end the middle aged guy who played the enforcer role limited that expierance, but none the less we still had some interesting conversations with them.

In total we maybe did this with 5 or 6 different groups, the last 3 or 4 where the more typical middle aged, old pair who just preached, didnt listen, didnt discuss and where on the whole irritating, not exactly a waste of time, but also not worth a repeat performance.

On the whole, a one in six hot rate for interesting conversation is pretty good apples in my expierance. But, from my expierance, the greyer the hair, the less likely you'll have a worthwhile expierance.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
11-08-2012, 05:55 AM
I had Jehovah's Witnesses come on Thanksgiving just as I was putting the turkey in the oven. I would have loved to have talked to them but I was busy so my boyfriend went out to talk to them. We had a good laugh at the pamphlets later.

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
[+] 1 user Likes futureMACH's post
12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
(11-08-2012 05:55 AM)futureMACH Wrote:  I had Jehovah's Witnesses come on Thanksgiving just as I was putting the turkey in the oven. I would have loved to have talked to them but I was busy so my boyfriend went out to talk to them. We had a good laugh at the pamphlets later.

That was pretty disrespectful of them to go out in service on Thanksgiving. They're not that ignorant. They know most of America celebrates Thanksgiving and don't want religious strangers calling on them while they're trying to have quality time with their families. But, at least you got a good laugh at the pamphlets!