Your single omnipotent act?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Your single omnipotent act?
(04-07-2014 12:59 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 12:54 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Remove religion from the world

[Image: 14u83d1.jpg]

Removing religion could remove many people's happiness, and people would find more reasons to fight. It's human nature, conquerable, but innate.

Not sure why I am answering as I think you are here as a troll, but lets see how you develop.

I used to just ignore religion as it has no meaning to me, but then again, as I have stated before I can no longer just look the other way. You have to study the effects of religion, and most major religions to be able to identify the bad emotional impacts subjugation causes. Also on the thought that "why take away faith if it helps people get through the day"...I've never really understood how removing a bad way to reason will make it difficult to get through the day. If anything, it would seem that correcting someone's reasoning would significantly increase their chances of getting through their day.

With reliable forms of reasoning comes the capability of crafting conditions that enable people to navigate life's obstacles. By using a more reliable form of reasoning, people are more capable of bringing about conditions that enable them to flourish.

To argue that people need faith is to abandon hope, and to condescend and accuse the faithful of being incapable of understanding the importance of reason and rationality. There are better and worse ways to come to terms with death, to find strength during times of personal crisis, to make meaning and purpose in our lives, to interpret our sense of awe and wonder, and to contribute to human well-being...and the faithful are completely capable of understanding and achieving this..if they would only try.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
(04-07-2014 01:14 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 12:59 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Removing religion could remove many people's happiness, and people would find more reasons to fight. It's human nature, conquerable, but innate.

Not sure why I am answering as I think you are here as a troll, but lets see how you develop.

I used to just ignore religion as it has no meaning to me, but then again, as I have stated before I can no longer just look the other way. You have to study the effects of religion, and most major religions to be able to identify the bad emotional impacts subjugation causes. Also on the thought that "why take away faith if it helps people get through the day"...I've never really understood how removing a bad way to reason will make it difficult to get through the day. If anything, it would seem that correcting someone's reasoning would significantly increase their chances of getting through their day.

With reliable forms of reasoning comes the capability of crafting conditions that enable people to navigate life's obstacles. By using a more reliable form of reasoning, people are more capable of bringing about conditions that enable them to flourish.

To argue that people need faith is to abandon hope, and to condescend and accuse the faithful of being incapable of understanding the importance of reason and rationality. There are better and worse ways to come to terms with death, to find strength during times of personal crisis, to make meaning and purpose in our lives, to interpret our sense of awe and wonder, and to contribute to human well-being...and the faithful are completely capable of understanding and achieving this..if they would only try.

Yes, yes, all of that is true, but again, why not just cut to the chase and make everyone happy?
04-07-2014, 01:20 PM
(04-07-2014 01:16 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 01:14 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Not sure why I am answering as I think you are here as a troll, but lets see how you develop.

Yes, yes, all of that is true, but again, why not just cut to the chase and make everyone happy?

So, it's true? You're a troll? Facepalm
04-07-2014, 01:21 PM
(04-07-2014 01:20 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 01:16 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Yes, yes, all of that is true, but again, why not just cut to the chase and make everyone happy?

So, it's true? You're a troll? Facepalm

WELL OBVIOUSLY NOT THAT PART!
04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
With one graceful sweep of my sparkly pink wand, I would abolish all religion, thereby giving everyone, true free will.

::bows gracefully::

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
(04-07-2014 01:10 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 01:06 PM)TSG Wrote:  World without Christianity:

No Crusades, No Westboro Baptist Church, No Spanish Inquisition.

World without Islam:

No World Trade Center bombing, No burqas.

Alcohol makes people happy; we should give it to all the little children, don't you think?

But why do an action that might make people happy, why not just will everyone to be happy and see how the universe accommodates for that? Unless you're one of those rare sadists who believes some are undeserving of happiness.

Happiness isn't very productive.

It is the pursuit of happiness that drives us forward.

Just like a video game... A cheat code that unlocks everything immediately defeats the object of playing.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
04-07-2014, 01:51 PM
(04-07-2014 01:21 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 01:20 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  So, it's true? You're a troll? Facepalm

WELL OBVIOUSLY NOT THAT PART!

[Image: 2n9me5t.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Your single omnipotent act?

I'd bring my granny back for a day, and plan a big shin-dig so she could see all her fears were unfounded, all is well, and have her meet all her grand kids as adults, great-grand kids, and great great grandkids. She would be SOOO pleased and happy. Sadcryface

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I would find out if god exists, and then if he did exists, use my one omnipotent act to vanquish him.

Otherwise I would give every religious zealot in the world chronic fatigue. I am uncomfortable with killing millions of people, but making them huff and puff every time they get up to use the toilet is a guilt I can live with.
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
(04-07-2014 01:16 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 01:14 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Not sure why I am answering as I think you are here as a troll, but lets see how you develop.

Because happiness is not the highest good. In fact, happiness is shallow, unproductive, and overrated.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user