"Your" team? Hardly.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2015, 06:36 AM
"Your" team? Hardly.
Why is it that otherwise intelligent people get all worked up about “their” favorite sports team or player?

What possesses a person to don outlandish clothing, paint their face green and mug for the cameras? Why do people festoon their vehicles with the car number of “their” favorite NASCAR driver? Exactly what do they get out of “their” team, driver, or player winning -- or, as is more often the case - LOSING??? What’s going on in their minds when “their” soccer team loses, and they commence rioting? Exactly what real investment do they have in these slickly marketed commercial ventures, that elicits so much fervor?

Let’s be real honest about this - it’s not “THEIRS” to start with. Somebody else owns the franchise. If it WAS “your” team, you’d make money off of it. You don’t, in fact - you SPEND money on it. It’s “your team” about as much as the slaves working in the fields “owned” the plantation. Your only real ties to this team is your personal choice to be a fan…

If there really IS some personal gain acquired by being a rabid fan of these mass media driven “sports” -- why stop there???

Why not get all worked up about other businesses that you don’t have any ownership in????

You wouldn’t look any less silly with a McDonalds bumper sticker on your truck. How about a Coca-Cola tattoo? Maybe you could spend 25 dollars on a nice new Geico t-shirt. And don’t forget to proudly wear your General Mills hat while you chant for “your” companies efforts………

Yay Team..

Rah, rah….

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-01-2015, 06:51 AM
RE: "Your" team? Hardly.
Really? How about Imams and Rabbis and Cardinals and Priests? They wear costumes and are not simply obsessed with a sports team, they influence politics in governments and have wars over their "favorite team".

The only thing about sports I do hate is the fans fighting, just like religion, when you are an adult you look like a fucking childish brat fighting over something that arbitrary. At least with sports you can prove your team owner exists. It is more absurd with religion because they have no evidence that their team owner exists.

I find sports can be fun in friendly trash talking. But it shouldn't be taken so seriously you are willing to get into physical confrontations over it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
30-01-2015, 06:59 AM
Green Bay Packers

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
30-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Sports, such as football in England, were used as a way for the working class to funnel all of their innate tribalism on weekends and to let the steam out. Sport is a healthy substitute for the natural inclinations that we have.

We can't act civilised ALL of the time Wink

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 3 users Like SunnyD1's post
30-01-2015, 08:38 AM
I hate sports fandom, because it's something that "normal" guys are expected to engage in, so the fact that I'm not into it at all makes social situations a lot more difficult for me. Ever run out of things to talk about? Just start spewing sports stats from your vast repertoire of sports knowledge that's undoubtedly in your brain (since you are a guy, after all, and that's just what guys do). Then make a few snarky and inaccurate remarks about how someone's choice in a sports team somehow reflects on that person's character, for whatever reason. That somehow makes you an "interesting" and "likeable" person? I don't get it.

If only "normal" guys cared about video games to that extent, then I'd be seen as the most gregarious person in the room.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
30-01-2015, 08:43 AM
(30-01-2015 08:38 AM)cactus Wrote:  I hate sports fandom, because it's something that "normal" guys are expected to engage in, so the fact that I'm not into it at all makes social situations a lot more difficult for me. Ever run out of things to talk about? Just start spewing sports stats from your vast repertoire of sports knowledge that's undoubtedly in your brain (since you are a guy, after all, and that's just what guys do). Then make a few snarky and inaccurate remarks about how someone's choice in a sports team somehow reflects on that person's character, for whatever reason. That somehow makes you an "interesting" and "likeable" person? I don't get it.

If only "normal" guys cared about video games to that extent, then I'd be seen as the most gregarious person in the room.

I suspect a lot of "sports fans" are very like some people in church....

They really don't give a rat's ass about it all - they're just there because their friends go there.........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Sports for me is a break from reality for a few hours. Two days after my brother passed away I was playing hockey and for two hours I wasn't sad or depressed. I used to get into heated arguments over sports but I finally matured and now just watch for the pure entertainment aspect of the game.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like USMCLoggy's post
30-01-2015, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2015 01:11 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-01-2015 08:59 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  Sports for me is a break from reality for a few hours. Two days after my brother passed away I was playing hockey and for two hours I wasn't sad or depressed. I used to get into heated arguments over sports but I finally matured and now just watch for the pure entertainment aspect of the game.

Yabut you were PLAYING, not paying.That's different.
I can see watching once in a while, (for free) but I'm not about to shell out a few hundred bucks to line some already billionaire's pockets even more, just cuz they, with the total cooperation of the local media, have somehow tricked me into thinking if they win it, somehow benefits me.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-01-2015, 11:50 AM
I don't get fanaticism of any kind, from political candidates, to rock bands, to sports teams. That said, growing up in Boston, getting to see the Red Sox break an 86-year slump and win the World Series, knowing I had 2 grandfathers who went their whole lives having never seen it happen; that was a special night. All the same, I watched the game at my dad's house, with some friends and cold beers - my face and hair remained their natural color.
30-01-2015, 04:52 PM
(30-01-2015 11:50 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I don't get fanaticism of any kind, from political candidates, to rock bands, to sports teams. That said, growing up in Boston, getting to see the Red Sox break an 86-year slump and win the World Series, knowing I had 2 grandfathers who went their whole lives having never seen it happen; that was a special night. All the same, I watched the game at my dad's house, with some friends and cold beers - my face and hair remained their natural color.

*Fan*atacism. Thumbsup
That's almost worthy of Chas. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.