"Your" team? Hardly.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2015, 11:36 AM
RE: "Your" team? Hardly.
I see a lot of non-sports fans talking about how they don't understand sports fans (with maybe the possible exception of SunnyD).

The fact is that it's tribalism focused around a contest of champions. If you like a sport, you'll follow it and more often than not, you'll pick a team and begin to feel affiliated to them. This is normal tribal instinct.

In Europe, teams are also associated with cities and towns within cities, so there's a strong identity element to it. "Your" team is usually the one closest to where you grew up. Many of your mates at school supported the same team.

And it's more than going somewhere with your mates. Suddenly complete strangers are your mates because you wear the same colours.

Implying that "otherwise intelligent people" getting worked up about sport is in some way silly is akin to saying "I don't get all that taking your clothes off and bumping private parts" or "I don't understand patriotism". Its just human nature. If you haven't been exposed to it, it will never make sense.

Oh, and the telling remark is the title of the thread: you won't ever understand that a team always is "your" team if you have never experienced this tribal instinct. How could you?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2015, 12:03 PM
(31-01-2015 11:36 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Oh, and the telling remark is the title of the thread: you won't ever understand that a team always is "your" team if you have never experienced this tribal instinct. How could you?

I choose not to be part of commercial ventures where my only option is to lose money.

That's exactly what professional sports are. That's my point.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-01-2015, 12:08 PM
(31-01-2015 12:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 11:36 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Oh, and the telling remark is the title of the thread: you won't ever understand that a team always is "your" team if you have never experienced this tribal instinct. How could you?

I choose not to be part of commercial ventures where my only option is to lose money.

Hmm...I couldn't hear you from the top of your high horse...what was that? Dodgy

Dig deep enough and I'm sure there are plenty of things you do which others would consider a complete waste of money...

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
31-01-2015, 12:11 PM
(31-01-2015 12:08 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 12:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I choose not to be part of commercial ventures where my only option is to lose money.

Hmm...I couldn't hear you from the top of your high horse...what was that? Dodgy

Dig deep enough and I'm sure there are plenty of things you do which others would consider a complete waste of money...

I'm sure you're right. But, I don't vandalize town when my dumb pastimes go awry...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-01-2015, 12:14 PM
(31-01-2015 12:11 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 12:08 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Hmm...I couldn't hear you from the top of your high horse...what was that? Dodgy

I'm sure you're right. But, I don't vandalize town when my dumb pastimes go awry...

OK, so now we're stereotyping sports fans? Dodgy

Me.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
31-01-2015, 12:19 PM
They chose to join the tribe. Wave that tribal banner, get the rewards, and losses that accumulate....

Let's jest say we're using RICO laws......

Wink

31-01-2015, 12:20 PM
(31-01-2015 12:19 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They chose to join the tribe. Wave that tribal banner, get the rewards, and losses that accumulate....

Wink

OK, so you do stereotype. OK, thanks for clarifying that.

Me.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
31-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Except for the fighting or other extreme behavior, it's fun.
31-01-2015, 02:05 PM
(31-01-2015 12:19 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They chose to join the tribe. Wave that tribal banner, get the rewards, and losses that accumulate....

Wink

By that logic you are a meth dealer. Since biker gangs deal meth and you associate yourself as a biker therefore you are a meth dealer.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-01-2015, 02:19 PM
I am not the football fan I used to be but I do like to watch a good game now and then.

I find it more entertaining to root for one of the teams. Otherwise, why bother?

How is it a problem if people get enjoyment from a certain sports team or rock band or whatever?

Tell me biker, do you have a preference for bikes? Harley, crotch rocket - or whatever? If you ride Harleys, do you sport the gear too?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post