"Your" team? Hardly.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 06:08 AM
RE: "Your" team? Hardly.
(02-02-2015 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- sports fans ----

Those guys that used to shower together...................

nope... nuthing gay goin' on there.....

suuurrreeee

keep telling yourself that..

Thanks for sharing with us where you really stand.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2015, 06:19 AM
(02-02-2015 06:08 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- sports fans ----

Those guys that used to shower together...................

nope... nuthing gay goin' on there.....

suuurrreeee

keep telling yourself that..

Thanks for sharing with us where you really stand.

Let's talk about what's REALLY bothering you, rather than the silly "yer a fag" name calling........

Sports fandom -is very similar to religion.

It's basis is not rational - but emotional.

Any argument you can make in favor of sports is because of emotions, not rational thought.

My original post was to point that out - that you're cheering for something - just because somebody (the team owners - the guys making the money) want you to support them.

Not because you have any rational reason to do so.....

Or, just keep throwing insults....

I've got thick skin.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-02-2015, 08:08 AM
(02-02-2015 06:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 06:08 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Thanks for sharing with us where you really stand.

Let's talk about what's REALLY bothering you, rather than the silly "yer a fag" name calling........

Any argument you can make in favor of sports is because of emotions, not rational thought.

My original post was to point that out - that you're cheering for something - just because somebody (the team owners - the guys making the money) want you to support them.

I've got thick skin.

Insults? When did I throw insults? Dodgy

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
02-02-2015, 08:37 AM
(02-02-2015 06:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 06:08 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Thanks for sharing with us where you really stand.

I've got thick skin.

Sports fans aren't worshipping make believe figures. We don't worship anybody.

Are we often invested emotionally to the sport and team? Yes. But there are actual, viewable events attached to the investment.

So, no. Nothing like religion.
02-02-2015, 09:34 AM
(02-02-2015 08:37 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 06:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's talk about what's REALLY bothering you, rather than the silly "yer a fag" name calling........

I've got thick skin.

Sports fans aren't worshipping make believe figures. We don't worship anybody.

Are we often invested emotionally to the sport and team? Yes. But there are actual, viewable events attached to the investment.

Yabut, the 'team' you're a fan of doesn't really exist. Every year it is a different team to a smaller or greater extent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2015, 10:35 AM
(02-02-2015 09:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 08:37 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Sports fans aren't worshipping make believe figures. We don't worship anybody.

Yabut, the 'team' you're a fan of doesn't really exist. Every year it is a different team to a smaller or greater extent.

You are cheering for laundry.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-02-2015, 10:49 AM
(02-02-2015 09:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 08:37 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Sports fans aren't worshipping make believe figures. We don't worship anybody.

That doesn't mean that businesses don't maintain some existential continuity; that's kind of the whole point of organisations larger than one person...

... this is my signature!
02-02-2015, 10:52 AM
(02-02-2015 10:49 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 09:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, the 'team' you're a fan of doesn't really exist. Every year it is a different team to a smaller or greater extent.

That doesn't mean that businesses don't maintain some existential continuity; that's kind of the whole point of organisations larger than one person...

So the fans are cheering for the owner and management, the trainers and equipment people? Consider

Or, as Rev said, the laundry.

02-02-2015, 10:52 AM
(02-02-2015 10:35 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 09:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, the 'team' you're a fan of doesn't really exist. Every year it is a different team to a smaller or greater extent.

You are cheering for laundry.

I'll refer you both to my post in this thread dated 31/01, which explains.

It is not a surprise to me that non-sports fans don't get it, especially in New World countries where town and district identities are weak.

Me.
02-02-2015, 10:56 AM
(02-02-2015 10:52 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 10:35 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You are cheering for laundry.

I'll refer you both to my post in this thread dated 31/01, which explains.

It is not a surprise to me that non-sports fans don't get it, especially in New World countries where town and district identities are weak.

But that really is the point. The players aren't locals, though they may have been a century ago.

Fandom is what Kurt Vonnegut called a granfalloon.
Wiki Wrote:A granfalloon, in the fictional religion of Bokononism (created by Kurt Vonnegut in his 1963 novel Cat's Cradle), is defined as a "false karass". That is, it is a group of people who affect a shared identity or purpose, but whose mutual association is actually meaningless.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post