Your top 3 most hated logical fallacies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Your top 3 most hated logical fallacies.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

So as the title suggests, out of all the logical fallacies out there. Which ones do you hate the most? It can be from Atheists, theists or just general arguments or statements themselves. Why do you loathe them so?

Mine Are:

1. Special Pleading - This is also known as moving the goal posts. Let's take religion for example. Theist- -God lives in the sky. Atheist - No he does not! Space exists, we have telescopes, He is not there. Just look at him. Theist - He is invisible or in space somewhere. Atheist- OK! we now have infrared and sonar and radio waves and discovered the ideas of other dimensions. Theist - He is somewhere you can never find him.

Special pleading can be many different things. Its a retards way of cubbyholing themselves so they not only have to accept the fact that they are wrong and have NO clue what they are talking about, but that they are completely incapable of defending their argument and show it by putting goal posts further away from you so you cannot answer their questions.

It does not take a genius to be able to see how pathetic this is, It is perhaps one of the most aggravating and hardest to deal with fallacies there are.

2. No True Scotsman - This is a terrible fallacy, as it completely removes you from any and all liability from the responsibilities and ownership that you should be taking care of yourself or owning up to. Hitler not being a Christian is a no true Scotsman. He was a Jew that converted to Christianity and there is undeniable proof of this. Only those with the No true Scotsman look at Hitler, The Crusades, The Inquisition, The Salem Witch Trials, The American Plantation owners that mutilated black slaves and wiped and tortured them until they abandoned their previous religions and only taught Christ to their children and grand children.

Only those who look at all that and claim they are not "real" Christians and insert some other world are the real no true Scotsman. These people are petty, spineless and lazy cowards who dare not take ownership of the past or responsibility to anything else in life.

3. Appeal to Emotion - This is perhaps the weakest of the fallacies. A Rainbow, A Sunset, looking at your new born baby and trying to use human emotions to explain away something without having to actually understand it is the mindset of a retard.

Only the retarded would close their minds to thought and instead be brought in with emotion to explain something. Only the retarded can do that. The retarded, the Scared, and the Delusional.

What are your big three most hated Logical Fallacies?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 11:44 PM
RE: Your top 3 most hated logical fallacies.
I'm pretty sure the last one was an ad hominem fallacy.

So i'm going to use an "argument from fallacy" to discredit you because your argument contained a fallacy.
07-07-2014, 12:49 AM
And PoolBoyG is wrong wrong wrong because of the Tu Quoque fallacy. Big Grin

For myself, the one I hate most is the non-sequitur fallacy. Simply because trying to convince someone that it's there usually devolves into "yes-it-is" "no-it-isn't" fights. Um, that fallacy doesn't appear on the page linked in the OP, so if you want to look it up, don't follow that.
07-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Logical fallacies... to me it's not always completely obvious that they *are* fallacies.

Like no true scotsman... People are often irritated when people say stuff like 'Oh well, no true Christian ™ would do X' but... I mean, no True Atheist ™ would believe in God, right? I mean, that's a given... so... maybe no True Christian ™ *would* murder little babies and eat them...

And ad hominem... I mean... suddenly my argument is invalid 'cos I added 'motherfucker' to the end of it? Pretty sure Samuel L Jackson disagrees, motherfucker.

I'm ambivalent about the overuse of 'that's a fallacy' in arguments...

Fallacy means something like 'invalid logical deduction', right? As in if I say 'Oh well, Obama fucks small rabbits therefore he's a no good president' then because there's no obvious logical connection between fucking rabbits and foreign policy that's an ad hominem fallacy?

Sorry just rambling...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Personal incredulity.

This is the one that I come across most. Just because YOU don't understand something does not mean "God did it." Books. Go read them. Research the problem before declaring it insoluble.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
07-07-2014, 06:07 AM
All of them.
Trying to get a person who believes in fairy tales to follow logical rules is an exercise in futility. Big Grin
07-07-2014, 06:22 AM
All of them

And one other that I'd like to add: Making false equivalences.
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
07-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Ad hominem
07-07-2014, 07:21 AM
IMO logical fallacies have become a crutch. There are so many of them and some can be interpreted in so many different ways, you can apply a "logical fallacy" to most any statement.

This is how Taq spends 99% of his time - seeing how he can spin a completely legitimate statement into is interpretation of a logical fallacy.

Unless it's so blatantly clear and obvious that it's a grievous violation of a fallacy, I will usually ignore them because attacking the fallacy does not promote healthy debate.

The other time I will call it out is if a person keeps falling back on a particular fallacy.

Other than that, I will address the fallacy and argue the point in hopes that the person will understand why it is a fallacy.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
07-07-2014, 07:24 AM
(07-07-2014 07:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  IMO logical fallacies have become a crutch. There are so many of them and some can be interpreted in so many different ways, you can apply a "logical fallacy" to most any statement.

This is how Taq spends 99% of his time - seeing how he can spin a completely legitimate statement into is interpretation of a logical fallacy.

Unless it's so blatantly clear and obvious that it's a grievous violation of a fallacy, I will usually ignore them because attacking the fallacy does not promote healthy debate.

The other time I will call it out is if a person keeps falling back on a particular fallacy.

Other than that, I will address the fallacy and argue the point in hopes that the person will understand why it is a fallacy.

Completely disagree - if one allows fallacies in a debate in that way then it cheapens and devalues the debate itself.