Your worldview destroyed with two questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2017, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 09:03 AM by true scotsman.)
Your worldview destroyed with two questions
I came across this article and I would not have read it if I'd known it was by Eric Hovind but I read the first line and it hooked me in.

It said: What if you could destroy someone’s worldview with just two simple questions? Two very powerful, but very careful questions.

Wow, I have to see these questions and see if my worldview gets destroyed. Already I see a problem though. He makes two big mistakes right off the bat. First he mistakes a position on a single issue for a worldview and he lumps all atheists together as having the same one.

The first question asks: Is it possible that the God of the Bible could reveal some things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain? He then says "With this question the unbeliever is forced to say yes". Really? We're forced? That certainly isn't my answer to his question. Mine would be that in the realm of the imagination, what one imagines can do anything that the one imagines it, imagines it doing. I can say this because my worldview has a way of distinguishing that which is possible from that which is imaginary. His doesn't.

The second question: How do you know anything for certain? He goes on to say "this question focuses on the fact that ultimately an unbeliever will have to say that he cannot know anything for certain." Where has he established this? Has he checked every worldview. Obviously not mine because my worldview begins with 4 incontestable certainties. He'll have a hard row to hoe if he thinks he can refute them since he would have to accept them in order to try to refute them.

So what say you? Did your worldview get destroyed by his very powerful, very careful questions?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
11-05-2017, 09:10 AM
RE: Your worldview destroyed with two questions
First question doesn't prove gods. Could be a time traveller (assuming travel from the future is possible) or someone who is actively causing the things in question, or could be a god-like being other than the one from the Bible, or it could be something we revealed to ourselves.

Second question is just solipsistic wankery. I simply don't need or care to know something "for certain." It adds no particular value to my life. Furthermore, in the context of the question it would be impossible to know for certain that a purported god is what it claims to be -- or that the god knows anything for certain, either.

If anything, these questions should destroy the worldview of the silly bugger who posed them.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
11-05-2017, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry but my brain fell out when you mentioned Eric Hovind Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 9 users Like jennybee's post
11-05-2017, 09:12 AM
(11-05-2017 08:59 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  The first question asks: Is it possible that the God of the Bible could reveal some things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?

I do not believe so, at least not without a definition of the god, the context in which the "things" revealed apply, and some evidence that it is actually possible. He fails to distinguish between "possible" and "not known to be impossible".

Quote:The second question: How do you know anything for certain?

The only things I know for certain are things that are specifically defined within a particular context. I'm fine with that but it seems to be a major stumbling block for many theists.

Hovind is even worse at presuppositionalism than Sye.

Quote: [Hovind] "... my worldview begins with 4 incontestable certainties."

No, his worldview begins with 4 unsupported assertions. Stamping his feet and claiming that they are certainties and incontestable is meaningless.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-05-2017, 09:17 AM
(11-05-2017 09:10 AM)Astreja Wrote:  First question doesn't prove gods. Could be a time traveller (assuming travel from the future is possible) or someone who is actively causing the things in question, or could be a god-like being other than the one from the Bible, or it could be something we revealed to ourselves.

Second question is just solipsistic wankery. I simply don't need or care to know something "for certain." It adds no particular value to my life. Furthermore, in the context of the question it would be impossible to know for certain that a purported god is what it claims to be -- or that the god knows anything for certain, either.

If anything, these questions should destroy the worldview of the silly bugger who posed them.

Actually they do.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
11-05-2017, 09:21 AM
I have no active definition of God from the first premise. Thus I repose the question back to Mr. Hovind, but with a twist.

Is it possible that his noodliness, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, can reveal his truth to you?

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
11-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Have you considered this one important question? I actually think it could destroy anyone's worldview.

What if Bugs Bunny actually created the god of the bible?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
11-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Hovind is the spawn of Satan's version of the Unwed Mother.* Someone said "Go fuck yourself. As he was the only person who would have him this sounded like an opportunity. The result was ... Eric Hovind.

*In "All YOU Zombies" Heinlein write of a person who was not only mother and father to his/her self but was also that person that got that whole thing going.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
11-05-2017, 09:42 AM
I was about to post about how hilarious it was that he's still using this bullshit tactic, but then noticed the article is almost 7 years old. Of course...he IS still using this tactic, so it's still hilarious.

He's a prime example of someone saying things so stupid that you don't even know how to respond because you're shocked he's actually being serious. The biggest thing, those questions can easily be turned back on him, and the second especially makes no sense for him to use. If the answer is "yes" then that means he cannot be certain that his god is real. On top of that....does he even understand what an atheist is? I'm already proclaiming I don't know for certain if a god exists....HENCE WHY I REJECT THEM ALL.
11-05-2017, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 09:49 AM by Bucky Ball.)
"Is it possible that the God of the Bible could reveal some things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?"

--- The "god of the Bible" is Yahweh Sabaoth, the war god, the 70th son of El Elyon, the chief Babylonian deity, brother of the god "Sin" (who became Allah).
So do mythic ancients gods reveal stuff ? Umm, no. Do they reveal anything "for certain" ? Only if you're smoking something. Do their MYTHOLOGIES occasionally have something to tell us about human nature, (as in the Greek myths) ? Possibly.

"Do we know anything for certain ?"
--- We know some things as well as can be known, and insofar as they are useful to us. I know for certain the question is drivel, and not gonna pay for lunch.
I know for certain Eric is even MORE stupid than his idiot father.

Is my worldview destroyed by this fool ?
Is he fucking kidding me right now ?
Tongue

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post