Youth soccer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Youth soccer
So today was my son's last soccer game. It is at the church my wife attends. The programs are pretty good if you ignore the religious crap. So there is a new sports director and he was doing their devotional as usual. Nothing big except when at the end, he was trying to get the kids (ages 5-7) to say the salvation prayer. I was talking to the ref at the time and I mentioned that what he did was kind of scummy, trying to get the kids who are in kindergarten to say the salvation prayer. Like these kids have even the remotest idea what that means. Fucking pisses me off. If the kids are going to do it, they need to understand what they are doing and talk with their parents about it and not have a sports director con them into saying it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2015, 11:33 PM
RE: Youth soccer
It's his last game because of that? Or it was his last game this season when it happened?

I'm guessing the former. In which case I'm also guessing that you had a chat with your son about it. I'm curious as to how that went. Is there a non-church team in your area that he can join instead?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-10-2015, 11:52 PM
I shall NEVER watch a soccer game until there is a stretcher team following every player on the pitch. At least that way the game would be honest. Smile

I mean honestly, how can everyone just ignore all the fake falls??? It's pathetic.

IMHO. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
18-10-2015, 07:45 AM
(17-10-2015 11:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's his last game because of that? Or it was his last game this season when it happened?

I'm guessing the former. In which case I'm also guessing that you had a chat with your son about it. I'm curious as to how that went. Is there a non-church team in your area that he can join instead?

No no. The last game of the season. Sorry. I hadn't thought of that angle. There are other leagues, but they are travelling teams and they cost way more. Plus if I say something to my wife, she may get pissed/hurt. I didn't ask him, he tends not to pay much attention during those things.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
18-10-2015, 08:13 AM
(18-10-2015 07:45 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ...
No no. The last game of the season. Sorry. I hadn't thought of that angle. There are other leagues, but they are travelling teams and they cost way more. Plus if I say something to my wife, she may get pissed/hurt. I didn't ask him, he tends not to pay much attention during those things.

Thanks for clarifying.

I like that there's a reason to encourage not paying attention in class.

Big Grin

18-10-2015, 08:24 AM
This is exactly what they said since they sent the coaches the devotionals (but not the parents). BTW, the bold was not mine, it was theirs.

Quote:It’s not always easy to be a Christian, because we all make mistakes and will continue to do so. But it’s very easy to become one. We just need to open our heart and ask Jesus to come in, and trust Him as He leads us through life. Once you feel ready, it is important that you don’t delay to invite Him into your heart. If you would like to invite Jesus into your heart today and make Him the Lord of your life, you can quietly pray this prayer with me…“Dear God, I believe that you came to earth as Jesus to teach me how to have a relationship with you, to forgive me for my sins which separates me from you, and I invite you to become the Lord and Savior of my life. I pray that you will help me become more like you, and help me share what I’ve learned about you to others. Thank you for saving me and for the gift of life you’ve given me. In Jesus’ name, Amen. ” If you have just prayed this prayer and honestly believe it in your heart, you have just become a Christian! We invite you to share this decision with your parents, coach, guy 1, and/or guy 2. (Coaches, please follow up with guy 1 and guy 2 with names/contact info).

Yeah, get them to say it, then give the names to the church for further indoctrination. Makes one want to vomit.

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
18-10-2015, 08:33 AM
(18-10-2015 07:45 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 11:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's his last game because of that? Or it was his last game this season when it happened?

That's probably for the best. I think if you are married to a devout theist, in order for things to work as a couple, you need to pick and choose your battles.

As a former believer, I am not at all surprised that the new sports director was trying to get young kids to say the salvation prayer in a church soccer league. My pastor used to say that even infants have the ability to accept Jesus into their hearts since they are born with an ability to believe in God right out of the womb Facepalm The church likes to get kids when they are young--before they have strong analytical ability.

As for the salvation prayer--all they are are just words written by humans. It's like any other form of poetry. However, I am sure the part that bothers you is that the church is trying to indoctrinate your son at a young age before he has the full capacity to decipher bullshit. Luckily, he has you as a father, someone he trusts, who can steer him in the right direction and help him *see things clearly* and in a logical manner when he is older. I wish I had that as a child. Instead, I had both of my parents who were religious and no other option other than believing.

One of the things that helps church brainwashing stick is having two parents who you love and trust telling you all this BS is true. The best thing you can do, which I am sure you are already doing, is to expose your child to science and create an environment where he has the ability to think and analyze.

I think it would also be a good idea to teach him that it's okay to question things that he doesn't understand in the Bible, to question things that don't quite make sense. The church is so successful in keeping believers because they do not like questions that involve *questioning God.* They use fear to stop people from doing this. When I started asking hard questions, my pastor would get extremely terse and angry with me and would pull out the hell card. In a sense, it was really the best thing he could have done because I realized then that I had to look elsewhere for answers and that got me on my path to atheism.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-10-2015, 09:01 AM
(18-10-2015 08:24 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ...
Makes one want to vomit.

Too right. Utterly nauseating.

Some counter-indoctrination might be required.

Make it your new catch-phrase to say (and make sure your son is in earshot every time you say it) ... "Where's your evidence?"

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-10-2015, 09:24 AM
The attention span of boys that age is lost before the end of the first sentence. Your son was likely thinking of what he'll do next when allowed to leave.