Youtube Copyright

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Youtube Copyright
So, apparently one of my Youtube videos has been flagged and removed due to copyright infringement. For a long time, I've created and uploaded slideshow videos featuring various songs accompanied by pictures of the bands. This hasn't been a problem until this morning, when someone called "Rico Management" filed a complaint with Youtube because I posted a video of Behemoth's "Ov Fire and the Void". I now have a strike against my account, and it's been mentioned several times (through notices) that my account can be deleted. Honestly, I couldn't care less about that, but what does concern me are the words "sue" and "lawyer" being thrown around. For the sake of caution, I've simply deleted all of my videos so as to avoid this bullshit in the future.

Anyone have any experience with this? After I deleted the videos, I figure the only thing left to do is go about my life as though it never happened. Should I be concerned that SWAT or the FBI is gonna toss a flash-bang through my window while I'm nailing my girl in the next few months?

Because I wont be happy if that occurs. Angry It was a little slideshow, for fuck's sake.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 10:28 AM
RE: Youtube Copyright
I dunno. Not a lawyer, and I don't make a point of repackaging other people's art and distributing it so I've never checked into the laws.

What puzzles me is how the music industry has changed. Used to be simple. Band creates music. Record company gives it to a jillion radio stations for free. Radio stations play music. Everyone listens for free. Gazillions of people enjoy band's music for free. Radio station makes money from advertising - generated by playing music people like so lots of people listen. Record company makes money from commercial sales of record - generate by lots of people hearing band on the radio. Band makes money from concert tours - generated by lots of people hearing band on the radio.

Hmmm, used to be that free distribution of music was what generated album sales and concert attendance.

Now, today, so many bands and record labels want to hang onto the music with two tightly clenched fists. I don't get that.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2013, 10:30 AM
No I don't think you'll be taken down (lol). I was under the impression that one can play whatever on youtube as long as they choose the disclaimer that they don't own the copyright to any of the materials and provide links to where to purchase them (I think there is a walk through?), as well as not flipping a profit from them. I did a stop motion diddy with a friend awhile ago and we used a Florence and the Machine song, we just provided the correct info for it. I still sleep well at night. Shy

You could probably put your videos back up if you just cited properly? Did you look at the FAQ or email youtube? Thousands of people use multiple sources on youtube for compilations, I can't see why you can't either.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
09-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Oh gods, they used those big awful words on you. I would suggest making a bunker and safe house so you can have nookie in peace, but LadyJane answered it pretty well.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
09-01-2013, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 10:49 AM by Free Thought.)
Well you shouldn't have to worry about a SWAT team sending flashbang through your window, unless you're planned to go Unabomber all over somebodies shit.

Thing is, that company is well with it's rights to request the video be taken down or otherwise follow through with legal action if need be, in order to protect it's "intellectual property" (copy righted shit).

Personally, I think it is bullshit, somebody makes music, company is paid to distribute it and protect it. Part of that distribution will include the internet, and they must eventually learn if it touches the internets, they will never be able to control it after that point, but they don't understand that fact. And so companies throw temper tantrums, and their weight around until they get their way.

Strictly speaking they cannot touch you if you have followed the request, assuming you've nothing of "theirs", and as LadyJane pointed out, if you have made it obvious that it belongs to the correct parties and not yourself, they have no good reason to pursue anything to begin with..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
(09-01-2013 10:28 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I dunno. Not a lawyer, and I don't make a point of repackaging other people's art and distributing it so I've never checked into the laws.

What puzzles me is how the music industry has changed. Used to be simple. Band creates music. Record company gives it to a jillion radio stations for free. Radio stations play music. Everyone listens for free. Gazillions of people enjoy band's music for free. Radio station makes money from advertising - generated by playing music people like so lots of people listen. Record company makes money from commercial sales of record - generate by lots of people hearing band on the radio. Band makes money from concert tours - generated by lots of people hearing band on the radio.

Hmmm, used to be that free distribution of music was what generated album sales and concert attendance.

Now, today, so many bands and record labels want to hang onto the music with two tightly clenched fists. I don't get that.

No, radio stations have always had to pay to play. ASCAP and BMI track this, collect the money, and pay the artists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-01-2013, 10:54 AM
If you do any more videos in the future then Id put up a "fair notice" statement (What LJ was describing) in the description of your video. Also in the description I would post a link to where you can buy the track (itunes for example) and if the Artists have their own youtube page put a link to that as well.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-01-2013, 07:35 PM
My videos were devoted to the songs and the bands themselves (if I enjoyed a song, I'd glorify it by making a video), so the song titles, band names and album names were posted everywhere. Even the opening titles were "Band Whateverthefuck: SongName". Then the slideshow is pictures of the band. So, I made it quite obvious who created the music. All I did was throw a bunch of pictures together with fancy effects.

But after reading through everything after I got the notice; apparently naming the artist in the description isn't enough. Dodgy

10-01-2013, 08:15 PM
My friend posted their wedding video -- a segment of their first dance. You tube removed the music (or told them to) something like that.

Videos have also been flagged for "Happy Birthday" can you imagine? :/

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

10-01-2013, 08:53 PM
(10-01-2013 08:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My friend posted their wedding video -- a segment of their first dance. You tube removed the music (or told them to) something like that.

Videos have also been flagged for "Happy Birthday" can you imagine? :/
Wow. Simply wow. No