Youtube Copyright

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2013, 09:01 PM
RE: Youtube Copyright
This might sound bland, but it's detailed enough and might help you understand fair use.

In short: Most the time it's a threat. Generally the threats are scare tactics used to get people to take them down (after all, no one wants legal action, right?). Nastygrams are common amongst lawyers. It CAN happen, although it has to be a clear infringement.

Keep your nose clean on youtube and make sure to clarify any claims and it's usually fine. But steer clear of gray areas or blurred areas.

I always ask myself this if I upload something:

- Does it fall within fair use?
- Is there any copyrighted works that are being used? Are THEY falling within fair use?
- Is there any trademarked things in this video? Do THEY fall within the fair use of my video?

If I find myself quite careful nowadays when it comes to fair use. But you can actually contest flagged videos with youtube IF... IF... you can prove it falls within fair use. Though sometimes the process takes a while.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Actually, yeah. One can be sued over wedding (or other) slideshows just for playing copyrighted music. Sad I found this out after making my brother's wedding slideshow this summer. Not in a bad way, someone just informed me in a tongue and cheek joke.

However, I still thought as long as everything was cited properly then things are good to go. Thumbsup unless of course, otherwise informed (as you were, Misanthropik, for the one video).
10-01-2013, 11:41 PM
(10-01-2013 08:53 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 08:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My friend posted their wedding video -- a segment of their first dance. You tube removed the music (or told them to) something like that.

Videos have also been flagged for "Happy Birthday" can you imagine? :/
Wow. Simply wow. No

I know someone owns the copyright to happy birthday...meh...seems picky to me. The whole wedding dance thing....that really bugged me -- I guess the issue was people searching the song or something and finding their video. It wasn't like the sound was that great.

I will say their wedding was really nice. :-D

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

11-01-2013, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 08:21 AM by Misanthropik.)
It makes one wonder; where do they draw the line? If I'm listening to music in my car and someone at a stop-light happens to hear it; everything's cool. But if someone is enjoying the same music at their wedding; puts it on video and uploads it to Youtube where other people happen to hear it; it's copyright infringement?

My videos were centered around the songs and the bands who make them. I uploaded them so that others could enjoy them as well. I was essentially sitting at home showing my friends this new song I found, but instead of a boombox or iPod stand, it was a slideshow video, and my friends numbered in the thousands and happened to be people across the world who I didn't know personally. Theoretically, every music-loving teenager and his circle of friends should be sued for distributing copyrighted material without legal permission. (I shudder to think what'll happen to the poor souls who burn CD's for their friends)

And now I'm really disappointed, because I intended to upload my film-making projects once they're complete. The problem is that some scenes are set to music for dramatic effect (seperate from the score, which I did make myself). This whole thing has made me realize that for fear of copyright bullshit, I can't get my films out there to be seen.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2013, 08:40 AM
(11-01-2013 08:18 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  It makes one wonder; where do they draw the line? If I'm listening to music in my car and someone at a stop-light happens to hear it; everything's cool. But if someone is enjoying the same music at their wedding; puts it on video and uploads it to Youtube where other people happen to hear it; it's copyright infringement?

My videos were centered around the songs and the bands who make them. I uploaded them so that others could enjoy them as well. I was essentially sitting at home showing my friends this new song I found, but instead of a boombox or iPod stand, it was a slideshow video, and my friends numbered in the thousands and happened to be people across the world who I didn't know personally. Theoretically, every music-loving teenager and his circle of friends should be sued for distributing copyrighted material without legal permission. (I shudder to think what'll happen to the poor souls who burn CD's for their friends)

And now I'm really disappointed, because I intended to upload my film-making projects once they're complete. The problem is that some scenes are set to music for dramatic effect (seperate from the score, which I did make myself). This whole thing has made me realize that for fear of copyright bullshit, I can't get my films out there to be seen.
Google "fair use". Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
12-01-2013, 07:21 PM
It depends a lot on who owns the copyright, I mean the specific company, and if they feel like claiming infringement on the video or not. I think the worst thing that could happen would be your video gets taken down.

What Logisch said, claiming infringement is usually scare tactics. I doubt anyone would sue unless it was something you're getting rich on.

Similar things happen with copyrighted characters and fan art, I've talked to people who work for comic companies and they often look the other way when someone is using their copyrighted characters in certain ways, even if they ARE selling them, as long as they aren't making huge amounts of cash. Some look the other way if people aren't selling many of such things, etc. Point being, if they don't stand to make wads of cash with a huge lawsuit, it's not even worth actually pursuing legal action, even if it's technically totally illegal. But again, it depends on the owner of the copyright and how lax they are. The proper and legal answer is to not use other people's work without permission, but people get away with it anyway in many cases.

As for youtube, if you're uploading to a third party website, you're subject to their terms of service and you have to accept that or make your own streaming website. Though I can sympathize with the bands; a lot of people watch youtube videos and never bother to support the bands by buying their music.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Fuck the power-hungry corporations!

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
13-01-2013, 01:04 AM
(12-01-2013 07:40 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  Fuck the power-hungry corporations!