Youtube Red

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Youtube Red
No, not RedTube, but Youtube Red, a paid tier for Youtube that removes the ads, gives you access to the supposedly "high quality" content that's behind this paywall, and a Spotify-like music service.

Would you use it? Are you already using it?

I think I probably would, but only if Adblock just stopped working on Youtube for whatever reason, or if they started removing essential features like subscriptions (though that would still piss my off quite a lot). I think Youtube would be worth $10 a month to me, since it's where I get the majority of my entertainment these days.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
13-02-2016, 12:41 AM
RE: Youtube Red
Pay for something I've been using for free for years? Pass.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
13-02-2016, 12:54 AM
I see no reasons for using it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-02-2016, 01:10 AM
I pay for the Google Music service and get it free alongside that, but I wouldn't pay for just the YouTube part of it except for wanting to support channels I like without watching ads (I too use adblock...) But $10/mo wouldn't be worth it, I'd just pitch a few $ to some of them via Patreon or somesuch instead.

The Google Music aspect is worth the $10/mo by itself though. Great service, better than Spotify IMO since you can upload your own albums where they might have some gaps (such as Tool) and then it works seamlessly - you can't tell which you uploaded and which they had once you've added them to your library, they show up in searches and have album art, descriptions, etc. all the same as any other album. Plus Google Music lets you organize by album and artist, etc. rather than Spotify's obsession with playlists (which you couldn't organize by album and artist, until fairly recently). I HATE playlists lol, don't have the time to put them together and get bored of them pretty quick when I do. And I don't like other people's music tastes consistently enough to use other playlists.

Better without God, and happier too.
13-02-2016, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2016 01:39 AM by CleverUsername.)
Definitely doesn't seem worth it.

On a related note, is it just me, or did the frequency of thirty second un-skippable ads suddenly get higher after they implemented the Youtube Red thing? Sometime around the tenth consecutive identical half a minute ad for The Fifth Wave I started wondering if they were trying to make ads more unbearable so the service seemed more enticing. Then again, the overabundance seems to have stopped, unless I'm forgetting them.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
13-02-2016, 04:46 AM
Some content providers were making noise about Red being detrimental to their efforts. Waiting to see how it plays out.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Why pay to remove ads when you can just install ad blocker for free?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2016, 10:45 AM
(12-02-2016 09:14 PM)cactus Wrote:  removes the ads,

AdBlock.

(12-02-2016 09:14 PM)cactus Wrote:  gives you access to the supposedly "high quality" content that's behind this paywall,

Wat.

(12-02-2016 09:14 PM)cactus Wrote:  and a Spotify-like music service.

But there's a Spotify already.

So no.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
13-02-2016, 10:45 AM
So youtube is going the fine bro route?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
13-02-2016, 10:46 AM
There's more to it than just no ads and Google music. There is special exclusive content you can only watch with Red, there is native video download support for mobile, ability to play videos in the background on mobile, you can also stream audio only from the YouTube Music app on mobile.

(13-02-2016 10:39 AM)Sam Wrote:  Why pay to remove ads when you can just install ad blocker for free?

Content creators still get revenue from people who use YouTube Red whereas they don't for those who use adblock

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post