Youtube Red

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2016, 01:12 PM
RE: Youtube Red
(13-02-2016 03:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  If I had the cash, I would use it. I only watch a few channels and I would absolutely love to support the content creators I watch frequently.
That's why youtube is removed from adblock, to do just that.

I did see a message from large channels saying it supported then 100% to 500% more finnicially depending on their channels. That was from the John Green and Hank Green who have multiple ranging shows in size bit pointing out the ways it works. But basically it seems medium sized channels would get such a miniscule boost from it to make it a likable concept to me.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2016, 01:25 PM
(14-02-2016 01:12 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 03:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  If I had the cash, I would use it. I only watch a few channels and I would absolutely love to support the content creators I watch frequently.
That's why youtube is removed from adblock, to do just that.

I did see a message from large channels saying it supported then 100% to 500% more finnicially depending on their channels. That was from the John Green and Hank Green who have multiple ranging shows in size bit pointing out the ways it works. But basically it seems medium sized channels would get such a miniscule boost from it to make it a likable concept to me.

Your argument seems to fail to take in account losses based on like 50% ad block users. It's not just a small boost, it also makes up for when they don't get what they are supposed to get because with more youtube red subscribers, there is less adblock users which will add up.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-02-2016, 01:33 PM
(14-02-2016 01:25 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 01:12 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That's why youtube is removed from adblock, to do just that.

Your argument seems to fail to take in account losses based on like 50% ad block users. It's not just a small boost, it also makes up for when they don't get what they are supposed to get because with more youtube red subscribers, there is less adblock users which will add up.

I'm not sure the views gained by a lot of people supporting it would of been ad-block users to begin with.

I think a lot more people who will be open to paying to youtube red were people already thinking about the support structure enough to have not been using adblockers.

14-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Are creators required to create Red-exclusive content in order to get the Youtube Red revenue, or do they automatically get it just by having a monetized channel with ads on it?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
14-02-2016, 01:56 PM
(14-02-2016 01:43 PM)cactus Wrote:  Are creators required to create Red-exclusive content in order to get the Youtube Red revenue, or do they automatically get it just by having a monetized channel with ads on it?

I don't know if it changed, but back when TotalBiscuit announced Red, he said the service basically just gave viewers ad-free videos and split the sub fee across viewed channels according to viewing time. Which he liked because he does long-form content...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-02-2016, 02:04 PM
(14-02-2016 01:43 PM)cactus Wrote:  Are creators required to create Red-exclusive content in order to get the Youtube Red revenue, or do they automatically get it just by having a monetized channel with ads on it?

I believe it's the second one. I think Youtube Red exclusive content is just an extra way to make money but I also don't think anyone can make YouTube Red Exclusive content, if you look at the small library now it's mostly like original shows and movies created by the big youtube stars like Pewdiepie and Roosterteeth. It's like Youtubes version of Netflix.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-02-2016, 02:17 PM
There are only a few major vloggers that I watch, like Mamrie Hart's "You Deserve a Drink" (which is absolutely fuckin' hilarious), and The VlogBrothers. I generally tend to avoid vloggers like the plague, though. The previews I saw for Red exclusive content made me cringe pretty hard.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
14-02-2016, 02:45 PM
(14-02-2016 01:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

I don't know if it changed, but back when TotalBiscuit announced Red, he said the service basically just gave viewers ad-free videos and split the sub fee across viewed channels according to viewing time. Which he liked because he does long-form content...

Well regardless of youtubeRed money or not, they actually have changed the way they evaluate and generate money. Which they've done every couple years. Now though, Long-formed content generates more money since video retention is weighed more in their algorithm. It was pretty much tied into when they unleashed Red.

14-02-2016, 09:28 PM
(14-02-2016 02:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

I believe it's the second one. I think Youtube Red exclusive content is just an extra way to make money but I also don't think anyone can make YouTube Red Exclusive content, if you look at the small library now it's mostly like original shows and movies created by the big youtube stars like Pewdiepie and Roosterteeth. It's like Youtubes version of Netflix.
That's correct. Even though my content is the same as ever, videos now accrue both regular ad revenue and "YouTube Red revenue." Just kind of showed up in my account one day and was a surprise. It does seem to accrue at a higher rate than regular ad revenue, which is interesting.

YouTube does also allow for subscription accounts so, for example, if I wanted to have people pay me $10/month to subscribe, then they could have access to my videos. I don't do that, but it is an option.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
14-02-2016, 09:35 PM
(14-02-2016 09:28 PM)philosopher Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 02:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I believe it's the second one. I think Youtube Red exclusive content is just an extra way to make money but I also don't think anyone can make YouTube Red Exclusive content, if you look at the small library now it's mostly like original shows and movies created by the big youtube stars like Pewdiepie and Roosterteeth. It's like Youtubes version of Netflix.
That's correct. Even though my content is the same as ever, videos now accrue both regular ad revenue and "YouTube Red revenue." Just kind of showed up in my account one day and was a surprise. It does seem to accrue at a higher rate than regular ad revenue, which is interesting.

YouTube does also allow for subscription accounts so, for example, if I wanted to have people pay me $10/month to subscribe, then they could have access to my videos. I don't do that, but it is an option.

Ah interesting.