ZOIKS! New Oz? Hm.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2012, 10:09 AM
ZOIKS! New Oz? Hm.

Let the nostalgia versus modernity arguments begin...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-07-2012, 10:15 AM
RE: ZOIKS! New Oz? Hm.
(13-07-2012 10:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Let the nostalgia versus modernity arguments begin...
I'll keep an open mind. The preview was appealing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-07-2012, 10:21 AM
It has flying monkeys and Mila Kunis. What else can one ask for?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-07-2012, 01:20 AM
This could be interesting, since we never heard or seen this part of the plot. This is like a prequel. Stupid prequels, everyone is making them, but why the hell not?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
18-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Hmm... interesting... Spring of 2013.
I'm wondering if this will be Disney's answer to Wicked... they probably couldn't get the rights so... decided to make their own, maybe? Still, looks good... kind of odd coming from me. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
18-07-2012, 11:11 PM
(18-07-2012 12:17 AM)kim Wrote:  Hmm... interesting... Spring of 2013.
I'm wondering if this will be Disney's answer to Wicked... they probably couldn't get the rights so... decided to make their own, maybe? Still, looks good... kind of odd coming from me. Shy

Why is it odd coming from you, Dorothy?

18-07-2012, 11:56 PM
(18-07-2012 11:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why is it odd coming from you, Dorothy?

Let's just say... here in Kansas, we're pretty serious about our Munchkins, Witches, Flying Monkeys, and Wizards. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
28-07-2012, 05:21 PM
(13-07-2012 10:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  It has flying monkeys and Mila Kunis. What else can one ask for?

Flying monkeys with flamethrowers and Mila Kunis in a overly revealing bikini………with a flamethrower!

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
[+] 1 user Likes Dunhill808's post
29-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm curious if anyone has read the Oz books. Is this prequel a totally new rendition or did it come from the books?

And yes, Chas, I know I can use Google to find out, but then we'd have nothing to chat about. Tongue

30-07-2012, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2012 12:14 AM by kim.)
No, it's nothing new... it probably came from the books - there are quite a few. I've read a few of the main ones, it's been a while. I have a friend who was really into them... we have discussed them. I have read one of the new books Wicked, which gives the back story of the Wicked Witch of the West. It's a bit different than the kind of books that Baum wrote - it's even before them. They are all complete fantasy... depicting a complete world with governments, populations, massive armies; it's really quite sophisticated - considering it was written over 100 years ago.

Oz is a real place. It was for Baum, anyway. He was kind of like Tolkien - and by that I mean crazy. He had Oz and the lands beyond all mapped out - there are 4 countries within Oz and it's entirely surrounded by desert. In the center is the Emerald City - kind of like DC - lot of shit goes down there... it's not all pretty, either. A lot of the books have to do with isolation and persecution of the populations and the disconnected rule of the monarch. Main cities of countries go down hill, have crime, poor and disenfranchised peoples... the shit gets real.

As far as this new movie... it looks promising... maybe. I think it might depend on how things transpire and how they end up. What will tell me if they stuck to the books or not, depends a lot on the immortal masters, the witches, Fairy people like Princess Ozma. Each of the 4 countries is ruled by a witch... witches and wizards can be both good and evil.

Dorothy frees the Munchkins from the WWE, by crushing her with her house - that's where the story everyone knows begins. So yes, you only know "the end of an enchantment", so to speak. By the way, Dorothy wore silver slippers -not those ruby things they had in the movie. They were pretty but I always thought that was odd after I read the books - so much has to do with everything being a particular color, usually the color of the country it's in. Witches wear white.

I hope it's good... guess we'll find out. Wink