Zero Tolerance Policies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Zero Tolerance Policies
What's the consensus? I saw this video. It's an interview with Casey, the bully victim that fought back.

What appalled me is that Casey was clearly defending himself and yet because of a zero tolerance policy, he too was suspended.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. School is supposed to be an environment that prepares our children for the real world. We see it all the time in the states: teenage girl brings Midol to school for cramps? Zero tolerance drug policy, so she's suspended. Little boy's miniature GI Joe gun (the kind that come with the figures) fell to the bottom of the kid's back pack? Zero tolerance weapon policy, he's suspended.

These are actual examples I've seen and read about. It's like common sense is removed from the equation. Do school administrators really think these policies make sense?

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 08:13 AM
RE: Zero Tolerance Policies
Zero tolerance policies require zero thinking. It's nothing more than a way of abdicating your responsibilities as an administrator.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Totally agree with BnW.
That kind of policy is utter crap.
People should be able to stand up for themselves.

BnW - you're more familiar with US law , what would the situation be like if they were adults working for the government ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
20-03-2011, 04:02 PM
(20-03-2011 01:06 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  BnW - you're more familiar with US law , what would the situation be like if they were adults working for the government ?

I'm not sure what you're asking me, to be honest. Can you elaborate?

21-03-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm asking from a legal standpoint if those two were adults in a fight and they were under the supervision of a public figure that is employed by the government.
I'm interested if there isn't a double standard , that adults CAN fight back but kids are forbidden to.

21-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Doesn't matter where you work. In this country you have a legal right to defend yourself. That's the purpose of the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
21-03-2011, 05:43 AM
(21-03-2011 04:58 AM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  Doesn't matter where you work. In this country you have a legal right to defend yourself. That's the purpose of the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights.

No, it's not. The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with getting into a fight at work and affords you zero protection.

gaglamesh - not sure how to answer that. In most instances if someone took a swing at you at work, they would most likely be fired pretty much on the spot. If you swung back, there is a pretty good chance you'd be gone too. Depends on the employer and what they want to do, really. If both employees are in a union then it gets more complicated because the contract may prohibit the employer from just firing someone, even for something as egregious as fighting.

Btw, this was not in the US. Those are British accents.

21-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Pet Peeve of mine, I HATE zero tolerace policies! It's already been said, but its basically administraters taking zero responsility. If you don't make the decision you can't be blamed. What a crock of shit! This also happens in our court system with mandatory sentencing, but generally judges hate this because they want the responsibility. It's lawmakers trying to basically avoid lienient judges, but again its somebody shirking their responsibility. The other this I hate is people saying "well if I let them get away with it then everyone will want to do it" tough shit you're the boss just say "No, I let them do it but I'm not letting you end of story!" People in this world need to step up and take responsility, that's why these jobs usually pay so much because the decisions are tough! Zero tolerance really rubs me the wrong way so sorry for the rant.
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 05:14 PM
@BnW
So defending yourself is a crime as great as attacking someone without violent provocation ?
What kind of law is that ???
It just blows my mind.
If we replace people with countries the situation turns around completely.

21-03-2011, 06:35 PM
(21-03-2011 05:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  No, it's not. The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with getting into a fight at work and affords you zero protection.

Yes, it is. The right to keep and bear arms is protected so that we can defend ourselves- primarily from a tyrannical government, but also from any one. If it's not, then tell me the purpose of the 2nd amendment, please.

To answer gaglamesh's question: If someone attacks you, in most states in the US, it is considered either an assault, battery, or both, and is a crime and most prosecutors will not charge you it is a case where you are clearly defending yourself. Two people engaging in mutual combat, for example, is not a case for self-defense.

Be polite.
Be efficient.