Zim elections

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Zim elections
The Zimbabwe election was held about a week ago. It was basically a two horse race, and the idea was basically that the old bastard Bob Mugabe would get voted OUT and Morgan Tsvangirai, the leader of the opposition, would ride into Harare on a donkey doing the usual Messiah routine.

Well it didn't work out that way. The actual election days were peaceful, which was a massive positive.

Everyone's mood was jubilant... that was before the results were announced - landslide victory for ZANU PF (Mugabe's party) by a huge margin.

Now before I & I butts in, yeah, in Africa the standard for every politician who's defeated in an election is to declare that his opposite number rigged the election, and stage an uprising. So yeah, the MDC-T (Morgan Tsvangirai's party) don't sound all that helluva credible when they kick off with that accusation...

The problem is, the elections were in fact rigged. It's pretty much fact. Here's a couple of links (I don't expect people to read them, but if you want to check the evidence so far accumulated for yourselves, here it is).

Here's a list of the latest election results:
http://www.sokwanele.com/zimbabwe-electi...comparison

If you take a gander at the first page you'll see that a lot of ZANU results increased by crazy values (up to 200%) compared to their previous results from the 2008 election. The first page is for results from the Bulawayo region, an area where ZANU usually gets... zero support.

Here's a list of alleged instances of election fraud:
http://kubatana.net/html/archive/legisl/...tor=LEGISL

Here's a statement by the Botswana government concerning the election:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s...8411926492

And here, for laughs, is the Zimbabwe government's response:
http://www.news24.com/Africa/Zimbabwe/Ia...M.facebook

Here's an article on the response of people living in Zim:
http://zimbabweelection.com/2013/08/05/w...-nahthing/

It should be noted that all of these links are from opposition websites. The official ZANU websites look like this:
https://www.facebook.com/ZanuPf2013/post...3871985856 , so... ja, that's why not so much of those. Plus I don't have the patience to trawl through their drivel...

I'm not living in Zim now and I haven't for years. But... this is really troubling me... and also... it's not that newsworthy... a few years back it was, but international media is pretty quiet on it this time around.

I dunno. Just thought I'd write a massive wall o text for a change... let you guys know what's been going on in my part of the world.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
RE: Zim elections
I reckon the rest of the is going... Rigged? Meh! Tell us something we don't know.

08-08-2013, 04:30 PM
(08-08-2013 04:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I reckon the rest of the is going... Rigged? Meh! Tell us something we don't know.

Yeah... I guess. There's been a lot of consternation on the web from Zimbos though... we kinda need people to know that this shit is going on otherwise Bob just sits pretty like fucking Kim Jong Il and no one can do a bloody thing about it... well, it's not like the world wagging a finger at Zim is gonna do anything either...

It was just... so hugely disappointing... we all thought we'd be moving forward into a new era for Zim, instead it's more of that guy Sad
09-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Africa, never ceases to be fucking retarded.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-08-2013, 07:26 AM
[Image: Zim-invader-zim-15381080-1280-800.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
11-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I read a rather long and interesting piece in the New Yorker years ago by a woman who grew up in one of the British colonies in the Caribbean. She was happy that it was no longer a colony but distressed by the fact that no attempt was made by the British to leave a stable governmental structure behind. It is visible all over the world. Vietnam may be one of the few exceptions but it also is quite dictatorial if done entirely on its own. The examples of failed states that were former colonies is significant.

The "developed" world owes a lot to its former colonies. Why for example is Puerto Rico not a state or free of US domination.

To consider events in former colonies without acknowledging the damage that colonization and the end of it did is rather like looking at most US elections and ignoring the effect of money.
11-08-2013, 11:18 AM
(11-08-2013 10:55 AM)JAH Wrote:  To consider events in former colonies without acknowledging the damage that colonization and the end of it did is rather like looking at most US elections and ignoring the effect of money.

Um... yeah, it is acknowledged fact that the Brits fucked the colonies hard... but Zim's not been a colony and Mugabe's been in power now for a good long time... I'm not sure I'm getting what you're driving at ?
11-08-2013, 11:34 AM
(11-08-2013 10:55 AM)JAH Wrote:  I read a rather long and interesting piece in the New Yorker years ago by a woman who grew up in one of the British colonies in the Caribbean. She was happy that it was no longer a colony but distressed by the fact that no attempt was made by the British to leave a stable governmental structure behind. It is visible all over the world. Vietnam may be one of the few exceptions but it also is quite dictatorial if done entirely on its own. The examples of failed states that were former colonies is significant.

The "developed" world owes a lot to its former colonies. Why for example is Puerto Rico not a state or free of US domination.

To consider events in former colonies without acknowledging the damage that colonization and the end of it did is rather like looking at most US elections and ignoring the effect of money.

Viet Nam was part of French Indochina.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 12:32 PM
morondog, This will be somewhat complicated and based on my own observation and what I have read.

In the aftermath of WW2 when colonial powers were forced to give up their colonies they did so grudgingly. They also made no attempt to leave behind stable structures that would allow the now freed colonies to conduct their own affairs as they would like. Left in place were things like borders that ignored tribal difference.

Basically the colonial powers had imposed a control structure on other peoples which was artificial. When they left they made no attempt to leave behind a non artificial control structure. They left behind peoples who had to work it out for themselves. In many instances this has turned out badly, including Zimbabwe.

To suggest that the effects of colonialism disappear quickly one only needs to look at the US. Here we have only recently started to come to grips with our affect on the native population that was here for thousands of years before our european (or mine at least) forebears arrived.
11-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Chas, and my Dutch forebears controlled Indonesia. Tell me something I do not know.

I was talking in general about how colonies of european countries were left to their own devices when colonies were abandoned.

The crime is more apparent in africa but it is true throughout the world. I vote for Vietnam as a possible exception. Maybe the french did something correct, I love vietnamese sandwich's.