Zim elections

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 01:49 PM
RE: Zim elections
Ja but... we're on our own so far as solving the problems is concerned. Sure, it's probably the Brit's fault and their legacy in Africa is hardly stellar. I don't see that anyone's suggesting that colonialism is not a root cause for the problems we have today, but Bob keeps blaming colonialism for everything which has gone wrong under *his* governance, much like the SA govt keep blaming apartheid. Yes, agreed, those things were bad news, should never be forgotten etc. But they can't excuse the cynical power games.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2013, 09:36 AM
morondog, I will agree very much with the above post. I will not state that "Bob" is a corrupt and venal person who was created by the fact of Zimbabwe's colonization. He is indeed corrupt and venal on his own.

I only point out that the colonizers did little to leave behind stable systems of governance. South Africa still has a long way to go to get over the history of apartheid, much like the US has a long way to go to get over the history of slavery and african american repression. Specific individual failings are that. Communal failings should be understood in the context of their communal and historic nature. Those communal failings take a long time to correct.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
12-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Yup yup. Can't argue with you there. Probably the reason it takes so long is that when you've taken a solid few generations to fuck the nation, it's gonna take at least a few more to unfuck it. Speaking as one of the 'semi-fucked' generation, partway to unfuckery (we hope anyway), it sucks to have to wait... And part of the reason the fuckery takes so long to undo is that not only do we have to contend with the legacies of the past, but also *fresh* fuckery from power-crazy despots, e.g. exhibit A, Comrade Bob.