Zombies or ghosts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2012, 12:27 PM
RE: Zombies or ghosts?
(07-12-2012 10:07 AM)GenerationWhy Wrote:  That's the point of the question, to gauge which is more conceivable.

And actually, I came up with this survey before finding out that zombies actually exist in nature... at least in parasites taking over hosts that are actually dead. (See this article: http://nyti.ms/TUC1wy) Now, obviously the leap from a microbe taking over the body of a dead wasp or whatever to a microbe taking over a dead human body is a bit much, but at least you have the components there in front of you. With ghosts, you've got nothing.
(06-12-2012 06:37 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'm with Aseptic on this one. The question itself is flawed. Neither option at this point has any more evidence in its favor than the other. However, if we were to go about asking which CONCEPT could more easily be enacted based on our understanding of reality, then I go with zombies.

Ghosts don't really have an agreed upon standard definition and is not applied upon tangible, or even realistically constructed elements. They are either described as the abandoned souls of deceased humans (which is religious/metaphysical woo woo), some unknown entity that interacts with our world from a nether realm, or maybe some pseudo-organic/electrical being (or some weird shit along those lines). Most people envision the first in the list, but not everybody is on the page.

However, zombies are strictly about reanimated flesh, which is tangible and applicable in terms of physical properties. The original folklore would have described the reanimation process as supernatural in origin, but there has been a shift in the media with associating it with biological contagions. Yeah, maybe we could eventually find a virus or some other biological/chemically based means of reanimating the dead somewhere out in the universe.

However, so far, there is no evidence of such an agent existing, and there might not actually be such an agent in existence, but it is at least a POSSIBLE outlet grounded in reality. This is opposed to ghosts, which is, despite the different definitions or variant descriptions, generally based upon metaphysical hogwash. Anyway, despite this, your question wasn't "which one has a greater possibility of reality based outlets of existence" but, "which one would you believe in sooner based on evidence WE HAVE NOW. The correct answer is indeed neither.
So in other words, we are more or less on the same page. Let me retract one of my previous statements: the question is not flawed, but the caveat needs to change. Instead of saying "based on evidence we have now," change it to "based on which concept is more enactable according to our current understanding of reality."

When going by those parameters, my answer is zombies.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Answered (and zombies, for the various reasons above.)

However, I'd heard one hypothesis about ghosts once I did somewhat wish were true - that the ones that always go through the same actions are basically "echoes in time." Just the curious side of me does kind of wish that were the case, and that we could find some way to exploit that and peer back. (Though it'd probably cause all sorts of issues.)

No, it isn't likely, but it was an interesting explanation. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I have to stay loyal to my lil' flesh eaters and go with zombies.

[Image: opforum1.png]
07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna go with my gut instinct and say it's a stupid question. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Well, the beginging s of the whole "zombie" myth came from mind-altering drugs in Africa. There are certain psychotropic combounds which can place a person under such an influence that they will be susceptible to whatever someone tells them (no, it's not just from Serpent and the Rainbow). That is what a "zombie" really is. It's only later that peopl started adding the "walking around moaning for brains" thing. So, to that end, zombies are more possible than spectral spirit fogs which live in our bodies and float around when we're dead.

Besides, even with the modern concept of the zombie; we have diseases such a rabies which turn the victim into an aggressive, snarling, eerily zombie-like individual. What's more, it's transmited through bite. Somehow combine that with the virulent properties of the Flu virus, and you've got yourself a real-life zombie plague.

SO yeah. Zombies are at least possible in theory. GHosts, though...fuck that.

(Sorry, WAAAY drunk right now.)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
10-12-2012, 05:06 AM
I liked that fact that they give you the ability to clarify your answer. I said zombies. I believe that with science, we might at some point start re-animating the dead. They probably won't be the hollywood version of zombies. They will probably be cheap stupid labor. Good for doing simple mind-numbing tasks.
15-12-2012, 09:39 PM
i chose zombies.. why? because i know at least that dead bodies exist
16-12-2012, 02:35 AM
(06-12-2012 06:00 PM)Vera Wrote:  Neither. But if I had to choose, on my life, I'd go with zombies. I'd sooner believe into the reanimation of flesh, than in spirits, souls and other such man-made concepts, that are totally devoid of any real meaning.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The idea of reanimation,though tantalizing, would be more resource and time consuming not to mention the "bugs" to work out Wink
Cloning with the potential of cerebral implanted microchips with all the characteristics of the "recently deceased" seems a little more feasible; but not desirable. Why can't our society simply accept death as the natural process it is?
Now to the survey; my only question is more of "why"?
Maybe the intent got lost in translation?
16-12-2012, 03:32 AM
(16-12-2012 02:35 AM)robsaugury Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 06:00 PM)Vera Wrote:  Neither. But if I had to choose, on my life, I'd go with zombies. I'd sooner believe into the reanimation of flesh, than in spirits, souls and other such man-made concepts, that are totally devoid of any real meaning.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The idea of reanimation,though tantalizing, would be more resource and time consuming not to mention the "bugs" to work out Wink
Cloning with the potential of cerebral implanted microchips with all the characteristics of the "recently deceased" seems a little more feasible; but not desirable. Why can't our society simply accept death as the natural process it is?
Now to the survey; my only question is more of "why"?
Maybe the intent got lost in translation?
From what I was able to gather, it was a purely theoretical question, to see what and how people think. I also believe that sceptically-minded people were apt to choose zombies much more often, because it is at least remotely biologically possible.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
16-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Well... if you got a zombie, and stick a ghost in it, you got a people. So, both. Big Grin

Nah, it's dumb. And what makes you think this is the place for such suspension of disbelief?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]